This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Christopher Maddox, Deirdre Carberry

I made a purchase of unused Freed pointe shoes for my daughter on Ebay, and they turned out to be from Deirdre. Had her name on the soles. It was quite a surprise (nice) for my dancing daughter. This was last fall and Deirdre mentioned in a follow up email she was leaving for Europe.

[Moderator's beanie on]

A web search should turn up any info if she's still dancing. Anything she might be doing outside of the dance world, unless it's been documented by a reputable source, is beyond the scope of this board.

[Moderator's beanie off]

Deirdre is on the dance faculty at the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music where she mentors the dance majors and resets ballets. September 2010 marks the third year as a professor there! She is an amazing teacher who is on the staff of various summer intensive programs when school is not in session.

Thank you, chops. That's great news, and welcome to BalletTalk.

I still remember the first time I ever saw Deirdre. She was in the children's corps in NYCB's Coppelia, the Waltz of the Hours. A woman sitting near me whispered something to her companion, and I realized she was referring to and familiar with the same girl I was watching. "Who is she?" I asked eagerly. "Deirdre Carberry." She was that outstanding from a very young age, with great stage presence, wonderful musicality and precocious technique. And of course, I followed her career through ABT. The dance students at U. of Cincinnati are very lucky to have her.