This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"The Little Humbacked Horse" - Info?

Hans, the one that Lubov Kunakova dances is from Kalkabrino. I know because it has appeared as a classical variation in Vaganova Prix competitions in the past, named as such. Old timers in the audience refer to it as "the Kalkabrino"!

The jete variation is the original variation for Paquita, in his original staging for St Petersgurg's Bolshoi Theater (hence, it is the one danced by the POB's Paquita in the Lacotte restaging). The much-later "Harp Variation" which has become known as THE Paquita variation at the Mariinsky was, according to what I've read in Russian literature on the ballet, one that Petipa choregraphed for Pavlova for a ca-1902 gala rendition of the Grand Pas.

Hope that this helps.

p.s. The Pas de Trois that is sometimes tacked onto Mariinsky performances of the Grand Pas is actually from Act I of Paquita. You can see it performed in its proper place in the POB-Lacotte version.

All this makes scense! The 1st variation in the "Paq." grand Pas is by Pugni, and Puigni wrote "LHH". I have heard this before somewhere. Yes, the waltz variation from "Paq." (danced by Cynitha Harvey in the 'ABT @ the Met' vid.) is for Paquita in the complete staging of "Paquita" - if you notice, it has a big ole' introduction unlike all the other variations in the grand pas. I dod not know that the 'sugarplum fairy-ish' variation with the glockenshpel (or xylophone or celeste [?]) was from "Pavilion d'Armide". I have a cd of the complete Petersburg "Paquita" and it credits this solo to Cherepnin....isnt that who srote "Pavilion d' Arnide)".

I would just like to know where the variation danced by Susan Jaffe in the "ABT @ the Met" video comes from.

Solor, the only place where I've seen the lovely 'Susan Jaffe variation' from the ABT Paquita was in the Novossibirsk version of Esmeralda, where it was danced by one of Fleur de Lys' two friends in Act II. So it must come from some Petipa version of Esmeralda?????

The LHH was telecast in 1989 & repeated on Kultura a few times during the 1990s. As far as I know, it was never made commercially available. However, a BUNCH of the 1980s Kultura telecasts have recently made their way to commercial video in Russia (Assylmuratova/Ruzimatov in Egyptian Nights, Kolpakova/Berezhnoi La Sylphide, Kullik as Cinderella in K. Sergeyev's version, etc.), so I would not be surprised if eventually we'll see the Vaganova Acad LHH in shops! [all of this in PAL format]

"The music is by Rodion Shchedrin/Script and choreography by Radunsky........I believe it's Russian from the Soviet era.

Both Plisetskaya and Vasiliev are very, very charismatic in this, they both filmed beautifully.

Also the special effects......ah, well, they will not impress techno junkies of today.

I find the film very charming and enjoyable, mostly for the two stars...."

I love the special effects. As a matter of fact the whole thing reminds me of those American Christmas specials from the 1960s. It is charming!

I'd forgotten what an influence Plisetskaya had on me. One of my teachers used to show ballet films on Friday nights (Mel did you go to those showings at Miss Mahr's?) and most of them were of Plisetskaya.

I especially love the two themes for her in this ballet.

When I look at Plisetskaya and Vasiliev I just fall in love.