This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I recently bought three prints of paintings of dancers who, according to the costumes, appear to be dancing Chopiniana/Les Sylphides. The signature looks like "Charlot." I did some Googling and came up with the name of Jean Charlot, an artist of French and Mexican (Aztec) ancestry. Has anyone heard of any paintings of dancers by Charlot? I think they're beautiful and will happily display them regardless of any historical connections, but it would be interesting to know of any information concerning them.

Before I swoon here I must say something. Could it be "Chalon"?

In that case, my dear, you really have something.

Alfred Edouard Chalon was a Swiss painter and lithographer 1780-1860.

In those days I wouldnt say they were churned out by their millions, but there was a fair amount about. Then with time most have been ruined or simply thrown away by people inheriting what they would have called oldfashioned sentimental rubbish. So a real Chalon costs a few dollars today.

I would be very happy indeed to own a real Chalon, especially of Pas de Q.

There used to be a shop off Charing X Road in London called "The Witches' Ball".

They used to sell authentic lithographs of dancers, but I could never afford a Taglioni. Any Londoners know if that shop still exists? :off topic:

That would indeed be an exciting prospect! Unfortunately though, the signature definitely ends with a large "t." I'm pretty sure these are not original works, but they appear to have been done in chalk originally. They're black and white. They also clearly don't depict Pas de Quatre, as there is a man partnering a ballerina with two female corps dancers in the background in each one.

Before I swoon here I must say something. Could it be "Chalon"?

In that case, my dear, you really have something.

Alfred Edouard Chalon was a Swiss painter and lithographer 1780-1860.

In those days I wouldnt say they were churned out by their millions, but there was a fair amount about. Then with time most have been ruined or simply thrown away by people inheriting what they would have called oldfashioned sentimental rubbish. So a real Chalon costs a few dollars today.

I would be very happy indeed to own a real Chalon, especially of Pas de Q.

There used to be a shop off Charing X Road in London called "The Witches' Ball".

They used to sell authentic lithographs of dancers, but I could never afford a Taglioni. Any Londoners know if that shop still exists? :unsure:

I was doing some research on a lithograph that I acquired some years ago and I saw your posting regarding Albert Chalon. I do indeed have a framed copy of Pas De Quatre. There is very little onfo on this subject that I can find. What can you tell me about the painting and the artist? It is numbered on the back.

i know the perfect person to ask for you, but he is sleeping at the moment! :unsure:

although i know a great deal less, it is worth mentioning that a number of these famous romantic era lithographs were reprinted (in really beautiful prints i might add) in 1948 and that a lot of the prints that are about are from this printing. but i can ask later if you like. he might ask if you can photograph the front and back of it, would you be able to?

also what are the measurements of the print, if you are able to measure it?

the NYPL has about 5 entries for Jean Charlot. the library's holdings in this regard seem to be connected to watercolors, etc. of Indian and Mexican dancers and dances, which all seem to have been published in the 1920s and early 30s.

here's the way the artist is described in the dance coll. cat.:

Charlot, Jean.: Perf. Arts Ref. Bénézit, E. Dictionnaire des peintres. Paris, 1960. 20th century French painter.

(the date above is the pub. date of the dictionary, no life dates are given for J.C. who, as noted, seems to have done some prominent work through the 1930s.)

Just a note, I am told by the gentleman to whom I referred above that if there is a printed number on the back of the lithograph, it is indeed from the 1948 edition that I spoke of.

I have two prints from that series framed--on the wall above my computer! One is of Cerrito in "Alma - La Fille du Feu" and the other Grisi and Perrot in 'La Esmeralda". They are about 14"X18". I seem to recall that my teacher at the time, George Chaffee had something to do with the reprints.; perhaps your friend knows something about this.

i know the perfect person to ask for you, but he is sleeping at the moment! :)

although i know a great deal less, it is worth mentioning that a number of these famous romantic era lithographs were reprinted (in really beautiful prints i might add) in 1948 and that a lot of the prints that are about are from this printing. but i can ask later if you like. he might ask if you can photograph the front and back of it, would you be able to?

also what are the measurements of the print, if you are able to measure it?

the measurement framed is 31x27. It is numbered 355. I do have photos of front and back. There's a card on the back with the number and other info. I'd be very interested to know more. Thanks!

I have two paintings---I think they are-or maybe the same ones that you are talking about. I cannot find anything out about them. I also think that the signature looks like it say 'Charlot', however researching his work--it does not look like the same artist. I have posted pictures of them--if anyone will take a look at see what they think..thanks :off topic:

Ballet Paintings

my email is goodlife_addict@yahoo.com thanks guys!

I recently bought three prints of paintings of dancers who, according to the costumes, appear to be dancing Chopiniana/Les Sylphides. The signature looks like "Charlot." I did some Googling and came up with the name of Jean Charlot, an artist of French and Mexican (Aztec) ancestry. Has anyone heard of any paintings of dancers by Charlot? I think they're beautiful and will happily display them regardless of any historical connections, but it would be interesting to know of any information concerning them.
AngieLynn, those are exactly the same pictures that I have! I like your frames better than mine, though. :thumbsup:

So then what do you think about them--I cant find anything about who the artist could be--and I dont think that Jean Charlot art--looks a lot like these! Do you? I thought the frames may be original--but i also thought that the paintings were originals--LOL!! sooo...who knows! So they are exactly the same? Have you found out anymore about them? Anyhow, thanks for replying back!♥

Unfortunately I have not been able to find out anything else about them, but I agree with you that the style looks nothing like Jean Charlot's. My prints do appear to be exactly the same as yours. What initially captured my eye is the accurate depiction of technique and the portrayal of a ballet that is not performed very often, although I don't think 4th position sur les pointes occurs in "Les Sylphides," so perhaps some artistic license was taken. I would guess that the originals might be from approximately the 1950's or so, but I'm by no means an art historian so could easily be way off in that regard.

I have two paintings---I think they are-or maybe the same ones that you are talking about. I cannot find anything out about them. I also think that the signature looks like it say 'Charlot', however researching his work--it does not look like the same artist. I have posted pictures of them--if anyone will take a look at see what they think..thanks :off topic:

Ballet Paintings

my email is goodlife_addict@yahoo.com thanks guys!

I was at an auction today and I found the same exact monocrome picture with the signature in a different color, and YES I did buy the lithograph. I will keep investigating this artist Charlot? Any other information is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

cowboylizzy

Bringing these up.  I took up poster collecting during Covid, as I am spending a lot more time at home and recently discovered Chisholm-Larsson, a vintage poster company in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City. They happen to have an excellent collection of old ballet posters.  

https://www.chisholm-poster.com/?q=&hPP=50&idx=clg&p=0&dFR[available][0]=yes&hFR[categories.lvl0][0]=Theatrical > Ballet and Dance&is_v=1