22 replies to this topic

#16 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:26 AM

coda, this might be a detail, but from what was written on the program notes, the Black Swan pas de deux was performed by Galina Stepanenko, not by Nadejda Gracheva.

Also, I'd suggest that the debate about dancing the classics would deserve a topic of its own (probably in the "aesthetic issues" subforum of subtexts and contexts"), while the discussion about the gala and that "Black Swan pas de deux" performance should continue here.

I've seen that pas de deux, but to be honest don't remember much about it (partly because I was quite exhausted at that moment, and also I'm really not a fan of that kind of out-of-context pas de deux) so I don't feel qualified to comment...

#17 coda

coda

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

Thank you, Estelle, for explaining about the programme.
As ballerinas Gracheva and Stepanenko are very different: while Nadezhda Gracheva is more expressive in dramatic roles Galina Stepanenko excels in her virtuosity. So, which one, in fact, was dancing Black Swan with Uvarov?
The debate of course could be interesting, however, for the time being I am very interested to know Mary’s opinion why this particular performance made an impression of an outdated one? It is of a genuine interest for me and it is within the scope of this topic.

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

coda: I cannot be sure of the answer as I had never seen any of those two dancers before. But the programme was more recent that the other listing, so Stepanenko sounds more likely.

#19 jorgen

jorgen

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:20 AM

It was definitely Galina Stepanenko.

#20 coda

coda

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:42 AM

Thanks, Jorgen and Estelle, for your answers.
I just noticed Helene’s posting on the previous page and agree with the point she made (about some dancers dancing outside a required style) but having watched the above mentioned dancers – Gracheva, Stepanenko and Uvarov - in the course of many years, in “Swan Lake” in particular, I know for sure that neither their technique no artistic manner conflict with the style of this ballet. This is of course my own opinion. Perhaps it is also confirmed by the fact that the Bolshoi Ballet has been casting them in these roles for amost 15 years.

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

I think it's a great idea to start a new topic on presentation of the classics, and if and how they should change.

The topic is posted here.

#22 jorgen

jorgen

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:39 PM

Stepanenko / Uvarov came on stage right after the Lacarra / Riggins Lady of the Camelias pdd, which was danced with great passion and fire seldom seen in galas. After that performance Stepanenko / Uvarov on the contrary looked pretty uninspired, leaving me quite disappointed.

#23 Mary

Mary

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:08 AM

i just realised that quite a few people are waiting for my response. sorry about that

first i would like to excuse for my mistake with names Galina Stepanenko and Nadejda Gracheva. actually i just did a copy/paste from the royal theaters homepage, so shame on them... any way

i believe there should be a constant developpement in dance, it can be in perfecting the technique, telling the story better, playing with the music etc etc

what happened at the gala in black swan was that i did not believe for one second she was a swan or he a prince in love. i know it is a gala, but one must think that the dancers would be invited because they are great interpretators of their roles.

black swan in swan lake is a pd3 including rothbart, but naturally he is not present at galas. but then normally the prince does his place in the opening so the poor girl is not on her own. i feelhere there has been some progress even the russians should embrace. it looked slightly odd that he was just princing away while she was working as horse to get in the air.
one other thing was her costume, maybe it shouldnt matter, but yet i think it does. if you walk on stage with an almost meterlong feather sticking out of your head it is hard not to look comic. and even if he is a prince does he have to wear more diamonds than the girl?

and the fact that there was not a natural developpement between the pdd, variations and the coda ( codas since even that was cut into pieces ) where nothing happened at all, which ment that us in the audience were staring at an empty stage.

also i felt that they just danced to the music they were not 100% on the music, the raffinement and nuances in the changes of character in her were completely lost, she gave the same value to everything: big big big. spassiba bolchoi :-)

as to the dancing itself it was not bad at all, he jumped really high and she got around as many times as she could, but it was all very rough. as i said before not for one second did i believe what was going on on stage.

but who am i to say all this, they are probably doing their best...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):