This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alexandra Ansanelli departs...

It seems that we Ballet Talkers are the last people to know anything.  :wink:

Not necessarily. But we do try hard not to pass on false or premature information and rumor, which occasionally means not being the first to post unconfirmed news.

This kind of policy may mean we miss a few scoops. But believe me, it also means we avoid LOTS of potentially hurtful mistakes. In my opinion.

Let's stick to the policy.

Wow, I'm stunned. I'm so Balanchine-obsessed I can't imagine anyone, particularly someone so perfectly attuned to his work, wanting to dance anything else! (But that probably says more about my limited imagination. :dry:) How admirable -- and courageous -- that she is willing to venture into something a totally different world.

The speculation in the Times article as to the company to which she's applied says something about the state of journalism at the Times. 1. If the speculation is true, making it public could apply pressure to both sides, perhaps damaging negotiations, or otherwise creating grief for one party or the other. 2. If it were not true, then its public appearance could discourage the "real" company from making an offer. Journalism, criticism, what else has the Times to lose?

Political journalists do the same thing, and have for years. "There's been speculation all week that there would be a major announcement from the Supreme Court; it came today." "Secretary Jones resigned today. It's widely speculated that he will run for Congress in the fall."

Re whether or not this is a reflection on the state of NYCB -- hard to say. It may just be one person's view of her own career. She's not the first NYCB dancer to leave "to dance the classics," and probably won't be the last.

My impression is that Ansanelli had every opportunity possible at NYCB, both artistically and in terms of performing frequency. Looking over my programmes from the last couple of seasons, she danced almost every time I went! Aside from Balanchine rep, she was (along with Wendy) a muse for Christopher Wheeldon who gave her wonderful roles in POLYPHOINIA, MORPHOSES & CAROUSEL. Her mention of a rather hurried preparation period for Aurora suggests to me the notion that she was not originally cast in that role; if she really worked the role up in two weeks, more power to her: she was a wonderful Aurora.

If she wants to dance Giselle, Gamzatti, Kitri, etc. she can't do it at NYCB. I am very sorry to see her leave; she is one of my favorite dancers and I loved being able to see her on a nightly basis.

Perhaps we all had a little hint of her feelings way back in the winter season when she cancelled some NYCB performances to do a gig with the Stars of the 21st Century. I sort of remember at the time being disappointed that she cancelled something I especially wanted to see her in, and was surprised by the reason. But looking back, that did portend the future.

I am truly shocked and deeply saddened by her departure. I can only think of one ballet (Giselle) that I would like to see her in, but she could have guested with some other company to do that (as did Patricia McBride). I hope she doesn't follow Gelsey's path . . . .

Although I don't doubt that Ansanelli 's interest in the classics is genuine, I wonder if "leaving to dance the classics" isn't also a helpful catch-all excuse for departing NYCB, analogous to the politician who wants to "spend more time with his family." :dry: (I don't mean this as an invitation to speculation.)

In passing, I note that Ansanelli expresses a feeling that to leave NYCB with another job lined up would be in some way dishonest. I do feel the need to point out that in the quotidian world of employment, it's almost suicidal not to do so........

While me heart is certainly breaking - Alexandra Ansanelli was one of my favorites - if it's true that she wanted to spread her wings and perform the classics I do wish her the very best. Although I do find it strange that she would leave a secure position with one of the world major ballet companies without a solid position somewhere else. But seeing how Alexandra is one of the top young stars at a major company, I'm sure she won't have a problem at finding a company that is very interested in her. ABT would seem the most likely choice, for purely selfish reasons I hope that is the company so I can continue seeing her perform. But I think another strong choice could be Pacific Northwest Ballet. Peter Boal already successfully got Carla Korbes and seeing how respected Boal is, I could see Ansanelli thinking about going to Seattle and performing for him. Afterall not only does PNB perform a great deal of Balanchine and Robbins, but doesn't they also perform the classics like Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake? If that's the case then Alexandra Ansanelli could have the best of both worlds!

dirac wrote:

In passing, I note that Ansanelli expresses a feeling that to leave NYCB with another job lined up would be in some way dishonest.  I do feel the need to point out that in the quotidian world of employment, it's almost suicidal not to do so........

I wonder how true that is if you're in her league.

A ballerina is by definition NOT quotidian.

It would certainly be true if you were actually interchangeable with other job-holders, and it IS common practice now for people in the highest positions -- but there's something marvellously old-fashioned, gracious, upstanding, lady-like, to my mind, about doing it this way. I admire her for it, and think it sets a wonderful example to a fearful public.

It would be WONDERFUL if she came to San Francisco. the coffee is very good here, so is the bread, you can't beat it. Our museums, alas, are pretty sucky, but the music's VERY good. Newspapers are terrible, it's true. But it almost never snows. Temperature right now is 72 degrees...... Roses grow without any help. Geraniums are weeds.

I do know of one ballet engagement on her roster: she's scheduled to perform with Sean Suozzi, also of NYCB, in the Dansereye performances on August 13th in Torrington, CT at the Warner Theater.

Dansereye Info

In the August/September Pointe magazine, there's an article on Cynthia Gregory called, "What's in a Name? Cynthia Gregory on being a 'ballerina'." It mentions that she will participate in a symposium called "The Ballerina in the 20th Century," which is jointly sponsored by the magazine and the Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts. Ansanelli is listed as one of the participants, along with Cynthia Quinn (MOMIX), Eleanor D'Antuono, and Lourdes Lopez. In the .pdf file that's found on the Nutmeg site, also listed are Emily Patterson (Joffrey), Victoria Mazzerelli, and Terese Capucilli.

http://www.nutmegconservatory.org/media/me...e_Ballerina.pdf

The symposium is from 2-4pm, and according to the ticket form, the price of $100 ("one low price!") includes the symposium and performance (8pm).

I haven't seen her dance (yet), but I do think that it is very courageous and gracious of Ansanelli to have left NYCB without lining up a job already, but I fervently hope that she does do that very soon. As she wants to dance the classics and is fairly inexperienced at that, she really needs a 'family'. It would be very unfortunate for Ansanelli - and the ballet world - if she became a 'guest artist' at a couple of places.

This is distressing news to me also. She's become a dancer of such magnitude

that I thought she had the staying power to become one of the great Ballerinas

of NYCB. It's hard to believe the Rep was not enough for her. Her statement

echos some of the things she said in the June 2004 Dance Magazine cover

story. "When I have a challenge, I give it 100%...I always think about the possibility of what I desire, and that it's reachable."

And her disappointment in her debut as Aurora -"I knew I could have done better.....but I know I'll master it in the future, because I'll make sure I do."

It looked like there were endless opportunites within her reach.

Is there any company in the world with as large and varied Rep and a long

performance schedule to match? She certainly won't get to dance as often.

Maybe she is aiming for quality of performance rather than quantity--

perfectionism a la Kirkland. I hope not.

All I know is we'll miss her in so many roles she has done and only wonder

what she may have become in the future.

I'm just so pleased that it has nothing to do with ill health or in life goals leading away from dance.

I'm not surprised that she would like to try her hand at the classics. I would rather like to see her version of some of the ballerina roles.

I also would not be surprised if after a few years she returned to NYCB. I seem to remember something from some biography or other that claimed that if one left NYCB, one wasn't welcome back (although Farrell did)... but surely that culture has passed?

Does leaving NYCB with no other contract in hand make her more approachable by other artistic directors/choreographers? It's an interesting technique.

Slightly :dry: but more info on Dansereye where Ansanelli will be performing and participating in the "Ballerina Symposium". Among the information about the weekend events is this:

The Ballerina Symposium will bring together an extraordinary group of women who have, each in their own way, defined what it is to be a ballerina.

One can buy tickets to the gala performance separately from the Ballerina Symposium or can, for $100, buy a "Dansereye Gold Ticket" which enables you to attend Nutmeg's SI performances, The Ballerina Symposium, and Dansereye Sat. evening performance, as well attend a reception.

Dansereye will present a new work by choreographer Scott Thyberg. Among the dancers, aside from Ansanelli, Cynthia Quinn (MOMIX), and Tim Melady (former Hartford Ballet principal dancer, now w/MOMIX), are some of the Nutmeg Ballet graduates who are now dancing professionally. They include Sean Suozzi (NYCB), Victoria Mazzarelli (former principal dancer with Basel, Frankfurt, and Zurich Ballets), Emily Patterson (Joffrey), Karla Kovatch (former soloist with Boston Ballet, currently principal at Festival Ballet RI), John Hall (Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal), Quinn Pendleton (Staatsballet Berlin), Dominic Hodal (Staatsballet Berlin), Jennifer Goggins (Merce Cunningham), and the following MOMIX dancers: Emily McArdle, Tim Melady, Danielle Arico, Jonathan Eden, Sam Beckman, and Steven Ezra Marshall.

Tickets for the Dansereye performance are $25 and $35. You New Yorkers might just want to head up to Torrington, CT for what could be your last time to see Ansanelli nearby (but oh dear, hopefully not!) :beg:

Phone number to order tickets: 1-860-489-7180

"I also would not be surprised if after a few years she returned to NYCB. I seem to remember something from some biography or other that claimed that if one left NYCB, one wasn't welcome back (although Farrell did)... but surely that culture has passed?" - Amy Reusch

Have you imagined the sort of meeting that took place between Ansanelli and NYCB management? Did she give ultimatums? Did they make offers? Were there tears on both sides?

I doubt she's ever going back to NYCB, 'you can't go home again.' The sort of artistic growth she's seeking will take her beyond NYCB.

I hope and pray (yes, she is my favorite at NYCB) that there is a Giselle in her future; but I also am fearful that she might languish in the background of some big Company---not unlike Menieur, or for that matter, Veronika Part (who is finally coming into her own).

Since someone's already mentioned it, I really think PNB would be a logical choice. I had actually sort of assumed that this is what she would be doing. But apparently, she doesn't have a job yet.

Wow, it's like baseball draft season or something...

It would certainly be true if you were actually interchangeable with other job-holders, and it IS common practice now for people in the highest positions -- but there's something marvellously old-fashioned, gracious, upstanding, lady-like, to my mind, about doing it this way. I admire her for it, and think it sets a wonderful example to a fearful public.

Paul, I was just struck by Ansanelli’s implication that to leave with another job in place would in some way be morally wrong or self-dealing. She is indeed fortunate that she is in a position where she presumably has the financial and professional luxury of not doing so, and my point was that most people don’t have said luxury. (And even if you do, there’s nothing underhanded about seeking alternative employment while you still have it.)

I certainly agree with you that it would be wonderful if Ansanelli came to SF. The company could sure use another ballerina.

My deeply-ingrained superstitious self thinks that Boal alone coming to Seattle is tempting Fate. When it was announced that Korbes was coming, too, I had to sacrifice all free onstreet parking to Squat, the goddess of parking, just to keep the universe in balance. And now to find out in today's PI that it was through Boal's influence that Jonathan Porretta came to Seattle instead of Miami...

Adding Ansanelli to the mix would be too much good fortune in one place.