This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Evgenia Obraztsova

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

It is bad to have great performances engraved in your mind. Everytime I see a Nikiya I can't help but putting the ballerina side by side with the great Komleva in the role. Of course, Miss Gabriella always takes the prize...

I feel the same way, Cristian. Obraztsova is a lovely dancer, but Miss Gabriella is the gold standard Nikiya. Posted Image

Definitely, but...going back to Obraztsova, this veil sequence requires a strong, centered, a terre ballerina. I don'tknow, but I noticed a good deal of insecurity and shaky moments here...

#62 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

She's gorgeous in the lyrical A2 dance with the basket (much better than Komleva, IMO). It's too bad that the 2nd pirouette withthe scarf faltered but I'm sure that it will improve in subsequent performances.

#63 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm surprised there's no mention of Altynai Asylmuratova on the list of "greatest Nikyas." Maybe not the technically strongest, but certainly the most expressive, IMO. Best live Nikya's I've seen are Veronika Part, Diana Vishneva, and Alina Cojocaru.

#64 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Absolutely right, canbelto. She's near the top of my list but I have Lopatkina, Zakharova & Semionova a bit higher only because of their elongated physiques can bring more of the 'plastique' into play, especially in the 'bare midriff' acts.

This is one role in which I am prejudiced for the longer-torso gals. [It's also one ballet in which Somova is passable for that very reason...a very long and slender torso, shown off in Acts I and II.]

I have not seen Olga Smirnova yet in anything but 'Shades' but, I suspect, she's magnificent in the full ballet. Hopefully she'll get to dance Nikiya in London.

#65 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

A longer clip, for those who want to see :)

#66 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Obraztsova will be making her debut in Diamonds on March 6.

http://www.evgeniaobraztsova.com/

#67 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks, Cygnet! That is exciting news. :)

#68 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Quite right about Komleva, who was a vastly underrated ballerina. Asylmuratova was a marvelous Nikiya. I really cannot possibly credit Somova with being acceptable in *anything*, to say the least.
Although Obratzsova is ravishing, I don't see her in "Diamonds" at all. I think she would be superb in the Paul role in "Emeralds," possibly in the Verdy role or as the "Rubies" ballerina as well,
but "Diamonds" will be a stretch. of course, RB had Cojocaru do it, than whom I can think of NO ONE less suitable....oh, wait, Somova.....

#69 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Quite right about Komleva, who was a vastly underrated ballerina. Asylmuratova was a marvelous Nikiya. I really cannot possibly credit Somova with being acceptable in *anything*, to say the least.
Although Obratzsova is ravishing, I don't see her in "Diamonds" at all. I think she would be superb in the Paul role in "Emeralds," possibly in the Verdy role or as the "Rubies" ballerina as well,
but "Diamonds" will be a stretch. of course, RB had Cojocaru do it, than whom I can think of NO ONE less suitable....oh, wait, Somova.....

It'll be hard for Obratzova to beat Smirnova in "Diamonds". She was breathtaking.

#70 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

Here is one of today's very few True Ballerinas in her most recent performance of Sleeping Beauty at the Bolshoi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmrm28MOhK0

A Rose Adagio as it should be danced...even holding the balances beautifully, in the 'western' style. Brava!

Genya will be the Warm Diamond at Covent Garden, to Olga Smirnova's Cool Diamond. Both brilliant.

#71 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Genia truly shines as Aurora, I always love to see clips of her dance this... I wish that the the BT broadcast and thus the DVD had her instead of Sveta (though I don't even remember if she was with BT at that point, a girl can wish).

#72 trieste

trieste

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I wonder if she's dealing with an injury in those Bayadere videos. She's never been the best turner but those pirouettes are particularly weak.

#73 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Genia truly shines as Aurora, I always love to see clips of her dance this... I wish that the the BT broadcast and thus the DVD had her instead of Sveta (though I don't even remember if she was with BT at that point, a girl can wish).

I echo your thoughts. She was delicate and completely controlled, and yet looked so innocent, just as Aurora should. Is she wearing a salmon-pink dress to match her red hair? I think the dress looks different than the candy pink color that Sveta wore.

#74 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

I echo your thoughts. She was delicate and completely controlled, and yet looked so innocent, just as Aurora should. Is she wearing a salmon-pink dress to match her red hair? I think the dress looks different than the candy pink color that Sveta wore.

It could be because of the camera, though it does look a different shade of pink :)

#75 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

On 24 & 28, June, Genya will be making her debut in her own right at Palais Garnier with Paris Opera Ballet in Pierre Lacotte's "La Sylphide."

http://www.evgeniaob...com/afisha.html

Treiste wrote:

I wonder if she's dealing with an injury in those Bayadere videos. She's never been the best turner but those pirouettes are particularly weak.

She will be dancing her follow-up Nikiya at the Bolshoi on 5 May. I trust she'll improve with her second attempt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):