• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#46 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

During one of the intermission segments of the Bolshoi's broadcast of Raymonda this spring, the presenter (Ms. Novikova, I believe) was talking about the fact that the Pharoah's Daughter would be an upcoming broadcast in the fall of 2012. She mentioned that the Bolshoi is the only ballet company that performs this work.

#47 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

So young and talented...

#48 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

The discussion of blackface in "The Pharaoh's Daughter" has been moved here:
http://balletalert.i...492#entry306492

#49 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Obraztsova debuts as Nikiya in Grigorovich's Bayadere, at the Bolshoi Theater on January 30, 2013, opposite Mikhail Lobukhin's Solor! Too, she is preparing to debut in the leading ballerina role in Diamonds (Balanchine's Jewels).

http://www.evgeniaob...a.com/news.html

Bolshoi playbill for La Bayadere on the 30th. Yeah, baby!!!!

http://www.bolshoi.r...#20130130190000

#50 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Thank you Rosa for posting that. Tee choreography is in many passages SO BEAUTIFUL -- and so difficult -- it really reveals Obrastzova's modesty and greatness of heart, to see how scrupulously and generously she moves through these paces.

Ashton contrived a more wonderful entrance -- never was there ever a more wonderful entrance than Cinderella's floating descent of that precipitous staircase -- but Sergeyev's dances are more moving and more expressive and no less exacting than Ashton's.

I'd never seen this version before - -and I can't imagine a better case being made for it.

#51 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Posting here a video I just came across of Obraztsova rehearsing Bayadère with Gracheva :) I am so happy she is getting the opportunity, perhaps I am biased because I do enjoy her dancing so much.

#52 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Many thanks for posting the video, Elena! I loved the short clips of Gracheva in the role.

I would have loved to see her on the HD from the Bolshoi on the 27th...

#53 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Today is [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Obraztsova's 29th birthday! [/size][/font]Posted Image[size=4] [/size]

#54 ballet_n00b

ballet_n00b

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Does anyone know why she switched from Semenyaka to Grachyova?
I was over the moon when I heard she (as my current favourite) would be learning from my all time favourite (Semenyaka).
Shame it didn't last.

#55 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I know everyone has been anticipating her debut in Bayadere--videos are starting to roll in via youtube user zametkianny.

To begin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAzEqD4q9vo

#56 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

I'm crossing my fingers that she will dance SL and Bayaderka in London. I hope the casting is announced before booking opens.

#57 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for sharing those links... personally I enjoyed her interpretation in the monologue a lot. She seemed to have issues in the veil section, though I hesitate to judge her entire performance based on the trickiest part. I hope they give her an opportunity to keep developing the role; having a debut such as this, and under the circumstances of what recently happened with Filin, could not have been easy. I imagine she was quite nervous (yes I am biased).

#58 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,244 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

It is bad to have great performances engraved in your mind. Everytime I see a Nikiya I can't help but putting the ballerina side by side with the great Komleva in the role. Of course, Miss Gabriella always takes the prize...

#59 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

It is bad to have great performances engraved in your mind. Everytime I see a Nikiya I can't help but putting the ballerina side by side with the great Komleva in the role. Of course, Miss Gabriella always takes the prize...

I feel the same way, Cristian. Obraztsova is a lovely dancer, but Miss Gabriella is the gold standard Nikiya. Posted Image

#60 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Komleva is the best on video, albeit a 35+-year-old video. She was technically secure but, IMO, not naturally lyrical and overpowered by the Gamzatti at that performance, Terekhova. Obraztsova was wonderful in the lyrical portions seen above and, I'm sure, will be more secure in her 'scarf solo' pirouettes in time.

I've seen many more 'live' Nikiyas than filmed Nikiyas. The very best -- technique + lyrical quality -- was the first of several interpretations that I saw by Uliana Lopatkina - in May 1995 at the Mariinsky. The Best, bar none. The best among recent Nikiyas (Canada tour, 2011) was Terioshkina. Most embarrassingly bad Nikiya I saw live was Volochkova with the Bolshoi at the Kennedy Center in late 90s - off point, no balance, warped line, making self-conscious 'faces' at the audience.... but she got a standing ovation from the audience...for ???? The crowd must have been applauding the ensemble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):