This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Evgenia Obraztsova

drb

Thanks for sharing those links... personally I enjoyed her interpretation in the monologue a lot. She seemed to have issues in the veil section, though I hesitate to judge her entire performance based on the trickiest part. I hope they give her an opportunity to keep developing the role; having a debut such as this, and under the circumstances of what recently happened with Filin, could not have been easy. I imagine she was quite nervous (yes I am biased).

It is bad to have great performances engraved in your mind. Everytime I see a Nikiya I can't help but putting the ballerina side by side with the great Komleva in the role. Of course, Miss Gabriella always takes the prize...

I feel the same way, Cristian. Obraztsova is a lovely dancer, but Miss Gabriella is the gold standard Nikiya. bow.GIF

Komleva is the best on video, albeit a 35+-year-old video. She was technically secure but, IMO, not naturally lyrical and overpowered by the Gamzatti at that performance, Terekhova. Obraztsova was wonderful in the lyrical portions seen above and, I'm sure, will be more secure in her 'scarf solo' pirouettes in time.

I've seen many more 'live' Nikiyas than filmed Nikiyas. The very best -- technique + lyrical quality -- was the first of several interpretations that I saw by Uliana Lopatkina - in May 1995 at the Mariinsky. The Best, bar none. The best among recent Nikiyas (Canada tour, 2011) was Terioshkina. Most embarrassingly bad Nikiya I saw live was Volochkova with the Bolshoi at the Kennedy Center in late 90s - off point, no balance, warped line, making self-conscious 'faces' at the audience.... but she got a standing ovation from the audience...for ???? The crowd must have been applauding the ensemble.

It is bad to have great performances engraved in your mind. Everytime I see a Nikiya I can't help but putting the ballerina side by side with the great Komleva in the role. Of course, Miss Gabriella always takes the prize...

I feel the same way, Cristian. Obraztsova is a lovely dancer, but Miss Gabriella is the gold standard Nikiya. bow.GIF

Definitely, but...going back to Obraztsova, this veil sequence requires a strong, centered, a terre ballerina. I don'tknow, but I noticed a good deal of insecurity and shaky moments here...

Absolutely right, canbelto. She's near the top of my list but I have Lopatkina, Zakharova & Semionova a bit higher only because of their elongated physiques can bring more of the 'plastique' into play, especially in the 'bare midriff' acts.

This is one role in which I am prejudiced for the longer-torso gals. [it's also one ballet in which Somova is passable for that very reason...a very long and slender torso, shown off in Acts I and II.]

I have not seen Olga Smirnova yet in anything but 'Shades' but, I suspect, she's magnificent in the full ballet. Hopefully she'll get to dance Nikiya in London.

Quite right about Komleva, who was a vastly underrated ballerina. Asylmuratova was a marvelous Nikiya. I really cannot possibly credit Somova with being acceptable in *anything*, to say the least.

Although Obratzsova is ravishing, I don't see her in "Diamonds" at all. I think she would be superb in the Paul role in "Emeralds," possibly in the Verdy role or as the "Rubies" ballerina as well,

but "Diamonds" will be a stretch. of course, RB had Cojocaru do it, than whom I can think of NO ONE less suitable....oh, wait, Somova.....

Quite right about Komleva, who was a vastly underrated ballerina. Asylmuratova was a marvelous Nikiya. I really cannot possibly credit Somova with being acceptable in *anything*, to say the least.

Although Obratzsova is ravishing, I don't see her in "Diamonds" at all. I think she would be superb in the Paul role in "Emeralds," possibly in the Verdy role or as the "Rubies" ballerina as well,

but "Diamonds" will be a stretch. of course, RB had Cojocaru do it, than whom I can think of NO ONE less suitable....oh, wait, Somova.....

It'll be hard for Obratzova to beat Smirnova in "Diamonds". She was breathtaking.

Genia truly shines as Aurora, I always love to see clips of her dance this... I wish that the the BT broadcast and thus the DVD had her instead of Sveta (though I don't even remember if she was with BT at that point, a girl can wish).

Genia truly shines as Aurora, I always love to see clips of her dance this... I wish that the the BT broadcast and thus the DVD had her instead of Sveta (though I don't even remember if she was with BT at that point, a girl can wish).

I echo your thoughts. She was delicate and completely controlled, and yet looked so innocent, just as Aurora should. Is she wearing a salmon-pink dress to match her red hair? I think the dress looks different than the candy pink color that Sveta wore.

I echo your thoughts. She was delicate and completely controlled, and yet looked so innocent, just as Aurora should. Is she wearing a salmon-pink dress to match her red hair? I think the dress looks different than the candy pink color that Sveta wore.

It could be because of the camera, though it does look a different shade of pink :)

On 24 & 28, June, Genya will be making her debut in her own right at Palais Garnier with Paris Opera Ballet in Pierre Lacotte's "La Sylphide."

http://www.evgeniaob...com/afisha.html

Treiste wrote:

I wonder if she's dealing with an injury in those Bayadere videos. She's never been the best turner but those pirouettes are particularly weak.

She will be dancing her follow-up Nikiya at the Bolshoi on 5 May. I trust she'll improve with her second attempt.