This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Evgenia Obraztsova

drb

Here's a look at Evgenia Obraztsova performing Juliet this weekend in London for the Mariinsky. Winner of the Moscow Gold, she's being called the next Ulanova (check out the penultimate photo). Talk about an impossible burden.... In these pictures from ballet.co's site there's not a 180 degree, or is it called a 6 O'clock?, in sight. Anyone seen her?

http://www.ballet.co.uk/gallery/jr_kirov_romeo_0705

And here she is playing Amour to Paloma Herrera's(!!!) Kitri:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DN

She was the lead girl last night in Forsythe's Approximate Sonata. I really warmed to her - she has excellent presence to top off gorgeous technique. A lot of the dancers didn't seem to know how to 'perform' the Forsythe, seeming not knowing where to look or when to be independent and when to engage with other dancers/the audience. I thought she had it just right, and I couldn't stop watching her.

She can do the 6 o'clock for sure, but she didn't seem to be throwing her limbs around last night either. It was all controlled and placed.... I unfortunately could not see her Juliet however! :)

Although I am grateful for the chance to see more pictures of Obraztsova, especially ones of this quality, it is a shame that they must all be defaced with printing. One can understand the legalities, I suppose, but other sources of dance photos don't do this.

It's unfortunate that copyright/ownership information has to be placed on the photos but it's done because the photographer/owner of the photos doesn't want the photos to be stolen or used on other websites with his permission or some sort of payment.

From the Vasiliev thread:

"Ooh, nice video!

I found it by going to http://www.videobalet.net/ and then clicking on the first link, and then you get a list of videos to watch. Vasiliev was the first two links.

jayo "

If you follow these instructions, the bottom two videos on the list are of Evgenia Obraztsova!

At least on my computer, the video makes the dancer look shortened. I found that by copying it to Real Player and replaying it, proportions were proper.

The Rome Opera site has confirmed that Evgenia will dance the lead in Carla Fracci's Cenerentola (Cinderella, not the opera!) on November 3, 4, 8, 10. The choreography is attributed to Carla Fracci after the 1956 version of Alfredo Rodriquez (Ms. Fracci starred in this production in 1956). Ms. Obraztsova's partner will be Giuseppe Picone, formerly of ABT.

Obraztsova was recently interviewed in the local newspaper of Kazan, Russia (Kazan Evening News), in conjunction with her appearance as Aurora/Sleeping Beauty, at the 19th Rudolf Nureyev Festival. I'll give the gist of the Russian article, which provides some interesting insights into 'life at the Mariinsky.' First, the link (with lovely photo of EO as Aurora!):

http://www.evening-kazan.ru/article.asp?fr...fset=0&limit=20

May 27, 2006

Kazan Evening News

Nureyev Festival

Princess from the House of Petipa

"Evgenia Obraztsova became the sensation of the 19th Nureyev Festival with her ideal interpretation of the Princess Aurora. It is impossible to believe that this is only the second time that she dances the role. Although only age 21, Obraztsova displayed the hallmarks of the Petipa style: virtuoso technique, irreprochable elegance and musical sensitivity."

She prepared the role of Aurora with her main coach at the Mariinsky, Ninel Kurgapkina, who also coaches Uliana Lopatkina, Irma Nioradze and Zhanna Ayupova.

EO seems 'blessed' by the spirit of Rudolf Nureyev, as most of her professional opportunities seem to have come from individuals who were close friends of the great dancer. For example, Kurgapkina herself remained a close friend of Nureyev & helped him to stage 'Bayadere' in Paris. Too, Carla Fracci was a close friend of RN & is one of EO's great champions, presenting her often as guest ballerina of her Rome Ballet. EO has created two leading roles in Rome (Cinderella and Marguerite in Faust) and will reprise Cinderella in the coming season. Furthermore, the choreographer of the new ballet Faust, Luciano Cannito, was another close friend of Nureyev; EO explained that the ballet, to Liszt's score, was already thought-out for Fracci/Nureyev/Bruhn, but could not be performed when Bruhn & Nureyev became indisposed. Seasons turned to decades - the two men died, Fracci aged. Finally, Faust was staged on Obraztsova & Kirov male star, Andrian Fadeev, only recently.

The connections between Nureyev and Obraztsova also include the Paris-based choreographer, Pierre Lacotte, and his wife (ex-ballerina) Ghislaine Thesmar. Lacotte revived/created Marco Spada for Nureyev, with Thesmar as the leading ballerina. The Lacottes collaborated often with Nureyev, during his directorship of the POB. Obraztsova recently premiered Lacotte's Ondine at the Mariinsky and, thus far, has been the only ballerina capable of essaying the horrendously difficult role. Obraztsova explained, "The role of Ondine is maddeningly difficult because of the many prolonged passages of fast footwork on pointe. Our dancers aren't trained to perform that sort of footwork but I worked very, very hard and somehow managed." Thesmar, who was present in St. Petersburg, gave additional coaching and help to Obraztsova as she prepared Ondine.

On her venture into the world of movies, in the French film "The Russian Dolls": "I filmed the role of Natalia, the ballerina-fiance, while undertaking an ardous rehearsal schedule for my debut as Shirin in "Legend of Love." It was a great experience but my profession is ballet & not film-making.

On competing & winning at the 2005 Moscow IBC: This was difficult. "I had to win gold or life would be made very difficult for me at the Mariinsky, upon my return." She tells how company director Makhar Vasiyev didn't want her to compete and, essentially, gave her an ultimatum. If she went to Moscow she had to win or face "a very difficult life" back in her home theater. He cut her no slack - as soon as the medal was hung around her neck, she had to fly to Washington, DC, to dance minor roles on tour.

Her greatest critics (beside herself) and her inspirations? Her coach, Kurgapkina, and her mom, Nelli Obraztsova, herself a former dancer with the #2 troupe in St. Petersburg, the Maly (Moussorgsky) Theater Ballet.

This engagement in Kazan is her first "tour" inside Russia, even though she has traveled all over the world. Obraztsova ended the interview by saying how grateful she is to be dancing in Kazan, in the festival named for her lucky spirit -- Rudolf Nureyev.

p.s. No author cited but the photo is credited to Alexander Gerasimov. Perhaps Gerasimov himself also interviewed the ballerina?

On competing & winning at the 2005 Moscow IBC: This was difficult. "I had to win gold or life would be made very difficult for me at the Mariinsky, upon my return." She tells how company director Makhar Vasiyev didn't want her to compete and, essentially, gave her an ultimatum. If she went to Moscow she had to win or face "a very difficult life" back in her home theater. He cut her no slack - as soon as the medal was hung around her neck, she had to fly to Washington, DC, to dance minor roles on tour.

Wow. I was horrified just reading that. It seems unbelievably cruel. And I don't understand the logic behind it either. Would not winning have been seen as a "shame" to the MT?

Wouldn't it be great if Kevin McKenzie read this, and the other current thread about a number of dancers leaving the Mariinsky... and was able to add 1 + 1? Talk about a company that needs a young ballerina infusion! Can there be any doubt that Evgenia would spell instant full houses?