This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Natalia Makarova

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

I wrote that "for many years" she was my absolute favorite. Recently I finally got to see Lopatkina and I was overwhelmed. I would have to say Makarova/Semenyaka/Lopatkina are definitely THE Swan Lake interpreters who have made the most profoundest impression on me.  ....

Ha-ha, for me, Lopatkina's the one who seems like she's the one who will not change an eyelash from performance to performance.  Her readings are so richly detailed, and it's a joy to see what she's found, but I do miss the suggestion of spontaneity.

I know that most people find Lopatkina anything but spontaneous...and I would not exactly say she looked spontaneous to me. But I will say the performance of Swan Lake I saw didn't look at all calculated, not least because it came across as completely without affectation. I felt as if I were getting a kind of pure distillation of the ballet. I experienced it as if, after all these years, I had suddenly gotten a revelation of the Platonic form of Odette. It sounds like I'm going soft in the head, but I'm very sure I saw a great performance even if it would not be to everyone's taste.

But since this thread is about Makarova, I should say I am plenty grateful to have bookended my Swan Lake going up to this time in such fashion, and remember what you describe about each performance having a distinctive quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):