This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NY Philharmonic drops Anton PolezhayevToo many female violinists?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

If it is that the NY Philharmonic seeks the best players, and the best are women, and typically Asian, then it says something about the state of things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! If he covets a spot in an all male orchestra, he may
audition for the Vienna or the Berlin. Equal rights never meant equal
results.

#17 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

Exactly!  If he covets a spot in an all male orchestra, he may
audition for the Vienna or the Berlin.  Equal rights never meant equal
results.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're talking about the Berliner Philarmoniker, the list of its members is here:
http://www.berlin-ph...m/de/orchester/
and first names like "Madeleine", "Aline", "Cornelia", "Bettina" or "Rachel" don't sound
very masculine to me. (But perhaps I have misunderstood your post.)

And wasn't the Vienna orchestra famous for its policy excluding women until the late 1990s ?
It is not really surprising that even now there are not many women there.

[Edited to add that Cygnet edited his/her post while I was posting mine].

#18 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:46 AM

Oops, sorry research blooper! Thanks for the link Estelle! I thought they were still segregated - good for them! However the case is decided, it doesn't look good. Re the Vienna, (if he wanted to), he'd have to successfully audition for, and then complete three years' probation with the State Opera orchestra, before he could even apply for a Phil spot.

#19 PetipaFan

PetipaFan

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

I'm trying to figure this out it seems like Anton Polezhayev is maybe just a jerk? It's not about his playing as much as people don't like him and so he is 'bad for the orchestra.'

There are players that can have a positive affect on the others, causing them all to perform better just by their presence. Karajan had a chap like this in the Berlin Philharmonic once, in the winds I think he was. K always looked for the fellow...

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for starting the topic, PetipaFan.

I've often found that it's very hard to figure out What Really Happened from early news accounts. It will be interesting to see how this develops. From all that I have read about sexual politics in orchestras, however, I'm inclined to be skeptical of reverse discrimination charges. We'll see!

#21 PetipaFan

PetipaFan

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

New story in the Times Today:

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

" "But a member wins tenure by having it all, by being the ultimate professional and the consummate colleague," Mr. Latzky said. Declining to elaborate, he said of Mr. Polezhayev, "He had been warned and spoken to, I believe, on several occasions about his behavior." "

The picture is getting more clear! It's about 'his behavior.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):