• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:08 AM

Here are five fairly large photos of Lopatkina as Nikaya.  Two appended photos are of Lunkina in DQ.  Click on each to make large.
http://www.bolshoi.n...e-lopatkina.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wonderful photos, thanks for the link. Is that Zelensky with her in the Shades scene?

I was so excited when I heard that the Kirov was bringing Bayadere to DC in June, I figured the chances were good that Lopatkina would come for the engagement. Now that they've switched the schedule to Giselle & the Forsythe program, I don't know. I don't think she dances in any of the Forsythe pieces, and while I'm sure whe'd be a great Mytha, it's not the same as seeing her Nikaya...

#17 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

There's a wonderful interview of Mariinsky Swan Ulyana Lopatkina in ballet.comagazine this month:
http://www.ballet.co...w_lopatkina.htm
Included is a beautiful, large photo of her Odile, and one of her with her three year old daughter.  I've read that she's Russia's Assoluta, but have never seen her when the Kirov/Mariinsky has visited New York.  Are there any eyewitnesses to her Odette/Odile who can describe what it is about her that is so special?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found her Act I Odette extraordinary in technical control and plastique with few of
the eccentricities of line that I was expecting. I did however find an absence of the kind of emotional yearning as Odette, that I grew up with watching Beriosova, or the unforgettable memory images of the plastique of Osipenko. For me her Odile lacked characterisation and her technique though strong, was not impeccable in the tour de force expected in this act. Lopatkina is certainly one of the tallest dancers to essay ballerina roles I have ever seen and she is expert in disguising this through the general fluidity of movement. Historically speaking only Legnani and Kschessinskaya in Russia Have been given the accolade of Prima Ballerina Assoluta though some writers have said that Plisetskaya inherited this mantle from Ulanova. Fonteyn was the Assoluta of the Royal Ballet and perhaps Dudinskaya, Kopakova and Alonso would seem natural candidates for this title. It is of course a subject that could run and run on any website, if posters do not separate personal prejudice, for proper understanding of the status of the title.

#18 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

"Is that Zelensky with her in the Shades scene?"
Yes, NYSusan. Igor IS tall, but he seems an inch or so taller than she is in pointes. Makes one wonder if she's really circa 5' 10" tall, as suggested earlier in this topic. Of course she may have small feet. This could be another example of a dancer appearing "Larger-than-Life!" In any case, they look great together in that photo: both seem to be in a deep spiritual state.
If only she'd visit NYCB and perform alongside Maria Kowroski! I wonder if anyone happened to see them together when Maria guested at the Mariinsky....

#19 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:03 AM

Igor IS tall, but he seems an inch or so taller than she is in pointes.  Makes one wonder if she's really circa 5' 10" tall, as suggested earlier in this topic. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a puzzlement, going by that picture! I've seen Lopatkina informally, and was told before I saw her that she was indeed at least 5'10", which I could attest to when I actually saw her. Zelensky is very tall, I'm not sure how much in feet and inches, but I've seen him informally, too. Yet, this picture indeed seems to "shorten" her. :)

#20 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

"Is that Zelensky with her in the Shades scene?"
Yes, NYSusan.  Igor IS tall, but he seems an inch or so taller than she is in pointes.  Makes one wonder if she's really circa 5' 10" tall, as suggested earlier in this topic.  Of course she may have small feet.  This could be another example of a dancer appearing "Larger-than-Life!"  In any case, they look great together in that photo: both seem to be in a deep spiritual state.
If only she'd visit NYCB and perform alongside Maria Kowroski!  I wonder if anyone happened to see them together when Maria guested at the Mariinsky....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion she neither has small feet or small hands, but she remains entirely different from most dancers and may yet become a ballerina to compare with earlier generations. She appears to be quite serious and intelligent from her answers in published interviews and is certainly the tallest femal Kirov dancer I have seen in the last 44 years. apart of course from the ertswhile Kirov dancer Volochkova.

#21 Solor

Solor

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:43 AM

so is she the "grand prima" of the Mariinksy? Is she the "Prima Ballerina Asoluta"?

#22 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

so is she the "grand prima" of the Mariinksy? Is she the "Prima Ballerina Asoluta"?

I would say she is regarded by the St Petersburg audience as the "grand prima", but with her extremely narrow repertoire, it's difficult to see her as an "assoluta" in the conventional sense.

#23 Solor

Solor

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:00 AM

I would say she is regarded by the St Petersburg audience as the "grand prima", but with her extremely narrow repertoire, it's difficult to see her as an "assoluta" in the conventional sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

narrow repretiore?

#24 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:49 AM

narrow repretiore?

Yes, she doesn't dance certain of the traditional 'ballerina' roles such as Sleeping Beauty or Giselle and she very much rations her appearances. On the plus side she has a better idea of what suits her and what doesn't than many other principal dancers. Personaly though, I think the results when someone is 'cast against type' can be rather interesting.

#25 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:57 AM

I'd say Uliana is the de jure PB of the MT; Diana is her de facto counterpart.

#26 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

Another difference is that while Diana guests extensively with other companies (giving her a worldwide exposure) Uliana AFAIK dances exclusively with her home company. As I adore Vishneva I'm very grateful that she chooses to "share the wealth" with so many companies (including the ABT). I wish I could see more of Lopatkina.

#27 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

.... As I adore Vishneva I'm very grateful that she chooses to "share the wealth" with so many companies (including the ABT). I wish I could see more of Lopatkina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The videobalet site posted for the Ivan Vasiliev and Evgenia Obraztsova threads also gives four half minute glimpses of Lopatkina (including Dying Swan), four of Vishneva (including Manon, which ABT will offer next Spring), and two of Pavlenko:
http://www.videobale...t/mariinka.html
Vishneva on top, Lopatkina in the middle, Pavlenko below.

#28 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:31 PM

I wrote my current post before I discovered this Topic. Could I please enter it and hopefully add some new thoughts.

I had read for several years how wonderful she is. I saw her first at her own Gala at the St. Petersburg Winter Festival 2005. I thought she displayed some brilliant elements. I saw her twice again as the Lilac Fairy about a half year later in the US. I liked her even more, but I couldn't really say why. There was hardly any dancing for her to do. She just seemed to fit the role. A subtle command of something. Again the elements were wonderful, but as I said in an old discussion..."I am still waiting for an entire package. I dream of that."

This year at the St. Petersburg Winter Festival. "I'm Speechless", entered my vocabulary. She performed her Swan Lake.
It Might Have Been Somewhere Beyond Perfect. All I'd care to say now is that in my mind I would already place her in the pantheon with Galina Ulanova and Maya Plisetskaya. I can't really describe right now what makes Galina Ulanova and Maya Plisetskaya so great for me, but I would say that what makes Uliana Lopatkina great and distinct from these two Wonders is...****Refinement****

If the video of her Swan Lake, which may be released sometime this year, shows her the same as I saw her, I think that my extremely high esteem for her will be confirmed. Possibly the reason so many of the 'Not-Diana Vishneva' current 'Russian-And-Alina-Cojocaru' ballerinas are not discussed here more at the moment is that they are not seen in the US very often. Hopefully the temporary closing of the Mariinsky and Bolshoi Theaters will change this. Hopefully Uliana and Diana will be seen in the US this Autumn doing Swan Lake, etc.

Would anyone like to add some new thoughts about Uliana Lopatkina. Maybe someone would like to start or revive topics about some of the other 'Russian-And-Alina Cojocaru' current ballerinas.

#29 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:17 AM

Buddy,

If you want to blow your mind, try to catch a performance of the Kirov's Jewels with Diana in Rubies, and Uliana in Diamonds. You can certainly sit through Emeralds for that. :clapping:

--Andre

#30 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

Buddy,

If you want to blow your mind, try to catch a performance of the Kirov's Jewels with Diana in Rubies, and Uliana in Diamonds. You can certainly sit through Emeralds for that.

--Andre

Andre----Have Done!----D'Accord! (Totally Agree!). Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):