Any DVD recommendations for Romeo and Juliet?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

Ferri/Eagling are included in the Kultur "Great Pas de Deux" DVD -- the balcony scene. I really liked it. Not having seen Wayne Eagling before, I was very impressed -- and touched.

I rembember the Fonteyn/Nureyev/McMillan very fondly. The videography (B and W) does strange things with the faces at times. But Fonteyn's Juliet, which I also so on stage from fairlyl close, was the most deeply "felt" portrayal I can imagine.

I really liked the adolescent passion in the Christopher Gable/Massimo Moricone version for Northern Ballet Theater. This was filmed by BBC in 1992, and I know it was shown on A&E network about a decade ago, when "A" actually stood for "Arts". This was young, hormonally passionate, and very touching -- the only version ever to have brought real tears to my eyes (they are so young!). One influence was clearly the Zeffirelli film. I don't know if this is currently sold in the US.

Thanks, BalletNut, for the Ferri/Bocca/ABTNOW reference. This DVD had somehow made it to the bottom of the pile, unwatched. Can't wait for this evening.

#17 Giselle05

Giselle05

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:14 PM

What'd you think, Bart? :-)

#18 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

I hope somebody can answer my question. I am a great fan of the Lavrosky, original prodcution of Romeo and Juliet. I own the 1974, 152 minute Bolshoi recording with a stunning Vasiliev and Maximova. However, the lighting is absolutely dismal for some of the scenes (a problem I have with many Russian telecasts of the era).

There's another Bolshoi recording from, I believe, around the same era, with Bessmertnova and (Mikhail) Lavrosky, that's been released from Kultur. The Balcony scene can be seen on youtube if you look up Lavrosky and Romeo and Juliet, and the amazon link is http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/6301005546 From the clip, the lighting seems to be much brighter. However, I can't find out (even from Kultur's own official website) what year it was recorded in, and I was also wondering if it was edited. The Vasiliev one is, as I said, 152 minutes, but Amazon says this version is a much shorter 108 minutes, and the Kultur website doesn't give a time length at all. Amazon has been known to give the wrong time listings--and I was curious if anyone who owned this DVD could confim the length for me. Thanks!

#19 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

I own it, and I can check how long it is on Sunday. I believe it was filmed in 1976.

#20 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thank you! I'd really appreciate it. I know it's an unpopular choice, but to me, that production *is* Romeo and Juliet (I wish the Mariinsky would spruce up their version, since they are currently the only ones who perform it), I think I'm just wavering on spending the cash if it's so strongly edited (I already own the Ulanova film which has amazing dancing but is a chore to watch with all the sudden cuts, and Soviet film "effects").

On youtube both video companies have clips of the DVDs from their promo sites and you can see the difference in lighting (and dancing--the first clip is one of my favorite moments in filmed dance, ever)

#21 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Macmillan:
I have DVDs of Fonteyn/Nureyev, Ferri/Eagling, and Ferri/Corella. I also have the DVDs mentioned above of Wiseman's "Ballet" doc--with the Ferri/Bocca balcony, bedroom, and tomb scenes, and the "ABT...Now" PBS b'cast, which as mentioned above, also has a Ferri/Bocca balcony pdd (which I don't think is danced as well as other times they have performed it--very rushed, misplaced/sloppy partnering missteps, but of course dramatically not a problem.) And finally I have a video of McKenzie/Makarova, and maybe a very old SFB (Smuin?) pdd.
I agree with most comments... Fonteyn/Nureyev for historic and dramatic intensity. And Ferri in BOTH of the DVDs available--her younger/eager/fearless self with Eagling, and the more experienced dramatic actress of the later version with Corella. The RB dancers (not just the two stars) are beyond compare in their ability to enhance a scene by their portrayals and dancing, (whereas the La Scala dancers are awful) but I do prefer the filming of the Ferri/Corella version--it's better lit, better sets, better costumes, I thought the choice of angles and editing worked very well, and in Corella, Romeo has superlative technique. (If there is a quibble about his dramatic technique, one must remember Corella was only 23 when this was filmed, whereas Eagling was about 10 years older when the earlier version was filmed, with many more years of living and dancing experience behind him.)

Lavrovsky:
I have the Bessmertnova version because it was shown on U.S. television (I originally thought PBS, but from an old clipping I have, I think it was actually--please resuscitate me as I keel over--shown on network television!) I think the year 1976 is right--I recorded it on our Betamax at the time--which is why I'd be glad if a DVD was available instead. I've seen the Ulanova version, but only from libraries. But definately both films/dvds would be good choices to watch.

Cranko?:
I've seen Joffrey and BB perform this in full, and watched clips of Haydee/Cragun on YT, but don't know if a DVD is available yet. I hope so, because this is a version to watch--and definately compare to the Macmillan versions which followed it.

I would also agree with POB, but not having seen it in many many years, would defer all comments to those persons more familiar with it.

Is the NYCB version on DVD yet, just to mix things up a bit?

To conclude: I don't believe this ballet would be hard to photograph because no matter the choreography: the plot is known, the action can be anticpated, and there are bound to be many dramatic as well as visually interesting blocking/placements of dancers in every scene. Enjoy and good luck with any inadvertant lighting difficulties.

#22 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Lavrovsky:
I have the Bessmertnova version because it was shown on U.S. television (I originally thought PBS, but from an old clipping I have, I think it was actually--please resuscitate me as I keel over--shown on network television!) I think the year 1976 is right--I recorded it on our Betamax at the time--which is why I'd be glad if a DVD was available instead. I've seen the Ulanova version, but only from libraries. But definately both films/dvds would be good choices to watch.

I liked to the DVD at Amazon above. I admit, the Lavrosky is my favorite production of the ballet, although I know mot Western audiences seem to prefer the MacMillan. It's too bad that the Bolshoi retired it for the Grigorovich (which I am not too fond of--I like a lot of Grigorovich's work, but not this particularly), and that I've heard the Mariinsky;'s production fo the Lavrosky is badly in need of refurbishment, as I hope it's not lost from their repertoire the way the two original Soviet productions of Prokofiev's Cinderella have long been retired (and are preserved only in so/so movie and filmed for TV edits).

#23 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

I'm sorry this took me so long. The 1976 Romeo & Juliet film with Bessmertnova and Lavrovsky is indeed 108 minutes long.

#24 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for your trouble! That's interesting, so a lot must have been cut compared to the 152 minute 1974 Vasiliev/Maximova production. I wonder if it was cut for the broadcast, or in performance (I believe the Lavrosky one you mention was filmed during a tour).

Anyway, thanks for remembering to look it up!

#25 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

I just watched the Ferri/Eagling version. I was really pleased with both of their performances, as well as those of Romeo's friends. I was surprised at the ease of the lifts, particularly considering how slight Eagling appears. Ferri dances with such ease, strength, and grace, and she is so effective dramatically. I expected more interesting choreography, and was shocked to find so much time spent without any movement, and/or without dance movements.

#26 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for your trouble! That's interesting, so a lot must have been cut compared to the 152 minute 1974 Vasiliev/Maximova production. I wonder if it was cut for the broadcast, or in performance (I believe the Lavrosky one you mention was filmed during a tour).

Anyway, thanks for remembering to look it up!

Isn't the Bessmertnova/Lavrovsky DVD the Grigorovich production? That would definitely explain the running time difference

#27 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:35 AM

No, it is the Lavrovsky version. There's a later one with Bessmertnova and I think Mukhamedov which is the Grigorovich version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):