This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Saratoga commitment

Wouldn't it be Irina Belotserkovskaya? :beg:

Yes with the final "a", no with the "t". Max changed the anglicized spelling of his name because too many Americans overemphasized the "t", to his annoyance.
There would also have been about five or six NYCB ballerinas with the last name "Balanchine."

Well, thanks to Diaghilev and the lack of any biological Balanchine progeny, the name is unique and trademarkable. How convenient for the Trust!

The oppressive hot weather finally took a break for one evening and there was another good size crowd at SPAC tonight. We were treated to a double-bill of Harlequinade and An American in Paris. Alexandra Ansanelli and Amanda Edge were wonderful as Colombine and Pierrette. Alexandra's solo in the second act was especially lovely.

Teresa Reichlen as La Bonne Fee was not on stage much but when she was, it was impossible to take your eyes off her. Her feet barely seem like they're touching the floor.

I haven't seen Harlequinade in about twenty years because it rarely comes to SPAC and I'd forgotten how entertaining it is. The first thing I did when I got home tonight was buy a ticket to see it again at tomorrow's matinee.

I also really enjoyed An American in Paris. I tend to like Broadway-style ballets and I thought this was very well done. On a side-note, Jenifer Ringer was interviewed in a pre-performance talk earlier this week and she mentioned one of her favorite aspects of the Saratoga season is that she gets to go to Target regularly!

Everyone who has expressed support for us at SPAC would have been thrilled to see last night's attendance. I don't quite know why, but there were 5,000+ seats filled. That is inside seating-----and a nice crowd on the lawn too. Equal to two sell-outs at NYS Theater.

We just need to do this again....and again....and again.....

That is great news. How I wish I were there with you and Farrell Fan again. Maybe next year