Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BalletNut

Which Dead Ballet Choreographer Are You?

Which Dead Ballet Choreographer are you?   42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Dead Ballet Choreographer are you?

• Ashton
    • Balanchine
    • Bournonville
    • Fokine
    • MacMillan
    • Petipa

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

As we enter the slow/silly season here on Ballet Talk, I thought this would be the perfect time to post a poll. This one involves a quiz from Quizilla:

Which Dead Ballet Choreographer Are You?

So, which choreographer did you turn out to be? Comments are encouraged, of course. :wink:

"You are Marius Petipa! The epitome of classicism, you are the most famous ballet choreographer, and most of these other choreographers wouldn't have gotten where they are without you, even if today's dancers think your codas are an excuse for gymnastics."

I hoped to be Fokine, but Petipa is ok.

"I accidentally say obscene things in Russian " :wink:

"You are Frederick Ashton! As the greatest English choreographer, your restrained classical style is always appropriate. Unfortunately, the Royal Ballet has ignored you for too long and can no longer dance your style."

:wink:

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you managed to dig up that quiz. I wrote it something like...three years ago! Thank you BalletNut! :wink:

There were plans for a "Which living ballet choreographer are you?" quiz, but I only know about the dead ones. Perhaps Leigh could help?

For additional fun, anyone who hasn't seen it before can also take my Which Ballet Teaching Method Are You? quiz, also on quizilla.

"You are Mikhail Fokine, member of an elite group of artists called the Ballets Russes. Your ballets are always beautifully decorated and choreographically interesting, but you are one of the most neglected 20th century choreographers. At least they'll always do "Les Sylphides!""

I gave the quiz a 5, Hans!

Thank you, Mel! As I recall, there's also a Dead Russian Composer quiz, and the last time we made the rounds, you ended up as Rimsky-Korsakov, Fokine, and Legat. :wink:

Good memory! I answered the Choreographers' test as if I were really assessing my own work and finding the nearest answers to the question, rather than trying to be somebody in particular.

Precisely the way it's meant to be taken. :)

The only problem with having written the quiz is that I can't take it fairly, as I know to whom each answer "points!"

"You are August Bournonville! You created some of the most well-crafted ballets in the repertoire with your emphasis on technical restraint and mime. Now if only the Royal Danish Ballet could remember how to mime."

If only...

But I didn't know Bournonville occasionally cursed in Russian :)

Great quiz, Hans! I always wondered who wrote it. :)

You are Kenneth MacMillan! Dancers love your swoony, dramatic ballets, though the men have a tough time with all those lifts.

Stage furniture and so much more are we men.

Helene, I see you chose a Petipa answer along with all your Bournonville ones. :)

Thank you, BalletNut! I'm glad you enjoy it. :)

You are Marius Petipa! The epitome of classicism, you are the most famous ballet choreographer, and most of these other choreographers wouldn't have gotten where they are without you, even if today's dancers think your codas are an excuse for gymnastics.

:thanks: It was fun!

I must have multiple personalities, because (after several attempts at the survey) I came up with Balanchine, Petipa, Fokine, and a few others not even on the list of choices, including Robbins.

Clearly, Bart, you are the most versatile of choreographers!

I agree, that was fun! I am Fokine, a bit of a surprise to me, but no objection! :cool: I also am Vaganova methodology! Ha, is anyone surprised? :hyper:

You are Marius Petipa!  The epitome of classicism,<br>you are the most famous ballet choreographer, and most of these other choreographers wouldn't have gotten where they are without you, even if today's dancers think your codas are an excuse for gymnastics.

Interesting. I was hoping Tudor was on the list but he wasn't. I kind of like to make my characters real people rather than cartoon images for lack of a better word.

Fred's a distant Ashton relative. I would hope something of him still courses through our veins!