This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB New Dancers: Korbes to be Soloist +

Tobi Tobias has a fascinating vignette titled "Rare Bird" on Carla Korbes being coached in Emeralds by Violette Verdy. It is 7th from the top in a posting of short essays in her Seeing Things series:

http://www.artsjournal.com/tobias/archives..._around_n.shtml

A quote from the last paragraph:

...When the Balanchine Foundation videotapes Violette Verdy coaching the role she created so memorably in the “Emeralds” section of Jewels, Körbes (ably supported by James Fayette) learns the pas de deux from scratch. Within minutes of having been instructed in the steps and partnering, she’s dancing as if the choreography belonged to her, releasing herself into the yearning, evocative phrases of the Fauré score so that the music seems to surround her like an invisible veil of perfume. Towards the end of the session, Verdy says to Körbes, “I don’t see dancers like you too often. How old are you?” “Twenty-two,” Körbes tells her. Verdy: “When it happens, it’s going to be magnificent.”

Looks like something special coming up in Jewels later this season!

Thanks for letting us know about Carla Korbes, drb.

Is there any word on company promotions/additions for the 2006-2007 season?

The only news so far, which was in the program for the school show last month, is that they've hired Sokvannara Sar as an apprentice. He just finished at the PNB school, and danced the role of the ballet master in Konservatoriet.

Sar was on everyone's mind after the day's performance, starring as Oberon in the Scherzo from A Midsummer Night's Dream and as the Dancing Master in Konservatoriat. Diaz, sadly, didn't dance, and the annoucement was a small blip in the program.

Oh, did you see Sar in Midsummer? Kendall Britt danced Oberon in the 3:30 performance. He did a lovely job with the shifting accents -- he made the role very specific, which is a tough job even for an experienced performer. He's going to Ballet Memphis, and I'm sorry not to be able to follow his development here.

I did see the early performance as well; my friend's daughter was in one of the Level III groups.

I agree about Kendall Britt's interpretation in the later performance. He was so vividly directing everything that was going on around him on stage. It was a very dramatic performance. I wish he was able to join PNB. Memphis is getting a terrific dancer.

I missed this on my first reading, but the postcard I received advertising the Season Opening Gala said that dancer promotions would be announced during the performance that evening. Full text:

Pacific Northwest Ballet is "rolling out the red carpet" on the

2006-2007 Season!

Kick off the Season with a preview performance featuring a world

premiere by PNB's own Paul Gibson, three PNB premieres, a performance

by soprano Jane Eaglen and the return of Swan Lake. Come celebrate with

PNB as we "paint the town red" and Peter Boal announces the promotions

of new Principal dancers!

I missed this on my first reading, but the postcard I received advertising the Season Opening Gala said that dancer promotions would be announced during the performance that evening. Full text:

Pacific Northwest Ballet is "rolling out the red carpet" on the

2006-2007 Season!

Kick off the Season with a preview performance featuring a world

premiere by PNB's own Paul Gibson, three PNB premieres, a performance

by soprano Jane Eaglen and the return of Swan Lake. Come celebrate with

"Dancers" plural? Very interesting.

Come celebrate with

"Dancers" plural? Very interesting.

He did say at one of the earlier Jewels Q&A's that there would be a few promotions, but then at a later one, he said "a couple" and mentioned that there wasn't a lot of turnover among Principal Dancers to leave space for promotions to that level.

There are so many deserving dancers, and the soloist ranks in particular are very thin at five.

He did say at one of the earlier Jewels Q&A's that there would be a few promotions, but then at a later one, he said "a couple" and mentioned that there wasn't a lot of turnover among Principal Dancers to leave space for promotions to that level.

There are so many deserving dancers, and the soloist ranks in particular are very thin at five.

I keep thinking that they will increase the number of soloists, but it's held steady for the last couple of years. I know that, pragmatically, there are several corps members who are soloists in all but name, but I would imagine that they might like the name as well as the roles!

Körbes and...

There are two other soloists who I think have earned it, and it's going to be disappointing to learn that at least one of them will not be. Unless, of course, there are two promotions to Principal and one to Goddess, in which case everyone is covered.

But what about promotions to Soloist?

Körbes and...

There are two other soloists who I think have earned it, and it's going to be disappointing to learn that at least one of them will not be. Unless, of course, there are two promotions to Principal and one to Goddess, in which case everyone is covered.

But what about promotions to Soloist?

My understanding is that there will be two promotions to principal, and that is all. And if they both come from the soloist rank, that will leave the category pretty attenuated.

My understanding is that there will be two promotions to principal, and that is all. And if they both come from the soloist rank, that will leave the category pretty attenuated.
Bummer.

The latest is that on the Classical KING-FM commercials for the gala opening this Saturday, PNB is advertising that Boal will announce two new Principals at it.

The "announce the winners" aspect of the International Wagner Competition a few weeks ago was a bit hit with the audience, but that also included an Audience Award, and I don't think Peter Boal is letting us make personnel decisions :clapping:

The latest is that on the Classical KING-FM commercials for the gala opening this Saturday, PNB is advertising that Boal will announce two new Principals at it.

They certainly seem to be making a great deal out of these announcements -- it's been in a lot of their press.

The "announce the winners" aspect of the International Wagner Competition a few weeks ago was a bit hit with the audience, but that also included an Audience Award, and I don't think Peter Boal is letting us make personnel decisions :clapping:

No, I imagine not, though I'm sure we all have opinions!