#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

Thanks, harpergroup!

I don't know the other dancers, but I sure do envy the Seattlites (wd?) who will have the pleasure of following Ms. Korbes' career.

#3 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:13 AM

Ben Griffiths is an SAB alum along with Korbes. PNB is certainly gaining some very talented dancers!

#4 Majinsky

Majinsky

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

Karla was made a soloist with NYCB shortly before he departure fromt the company. [gossip snip]

MAJINSKY: Please check your email mailbox.

Edited by Alexandra, 29 July 2005 - 11:45 AM.

#5 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:22 PM

Tobi Tobias has a fascinating vignette titled "Rare Bird" on Carla Korbes being coached in Emeralds by Violette Verdy. It is 7th from the top in a posting of short essays in her Seeing Things series:

http://www.artsjourn..._around_n.shtml

A quote from the last paragraph:
...When the Balanchine Foundation videotapes Violette Verdy coaching the role she created so memorably in the “Emeralds” section of Jewels, Körbes (ably supported by James Fayette) learns the pas de deux from scratch. Within minutes of having been instructed in the steps and partnering, she’s dancing as if the choreography belonged to her, releasing herself into the yearning, evocative phrases of the Fauré score so that the music seems to surround her like an invisible veil of perfume. Towards the end of the session, Verdy says to Körbes, “I don’t see dancers like you too often. How old are you?” “Twenty-two,” Körbes tells her. Verdy: “When it happens, it’s going to be magnificent.”

Looks like something special coming up in Jewels later this season!

#6 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

Today it was announced that Carla Korbes has joined The Winger, a blog that NYCB dancer Kristin Sloan started and now includes other dancers, including ABT's David Hallberg. The first post is a stunning photo:
http://phontographer...archives/carla/

#7 chezdancer

chezdancer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for letting us know about Carla Korbes, drb.

Is there any word on company promotions/additions for the 2006-2007 season?

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:41 AM

Peter Boal said in a post-performance Q&A that promotions would be announced at the beginning of the new season, which begins 16 September.

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for letting us know about Carla Korbes, drb.

The only news so far, which was in the program for the school show last month, is that they've hired Sokvannara Sar as an apprentice. He just finished at the PNB school, and danced the role of the ballet master in Konservatoriet.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

And Adrienne Diaz, another graduating member of the Professional Division, was also asked to join the Company, according to the School Performance program.

#11 chezdancer

chezdancer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Helene and sandik for responding to my inquiry.

I guess we'll just have to wait until September to see if there are other additions/promotions for the 2006/2007 season.

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

And Adrienne Diaz, another graduating member of the Professional Division, was also asked to join the Company, according to the School Performance program.

Thank you so much for catching my omission -- I'm embarrassed!

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:04 PM

Sar was on everyone's mind after the day's performance, starring as Oberon in the Scherzo from A Midsummer Night's Dream and as the Dancing Master in Konservatoriat. Diaz, sadly, didn't dance, and the annoucement was a small blip in the program.

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:42 PM

Oh, did you see Sar in Midsummer? Kendall Britt danced Oberon in the 3:30 performance. He did a lovely job with the shifting accents -- he made the role very specific, which is a tough job even for an experienced performer. He's going to Ballet Memphis, and I'm sorry not to be able to follow his development here.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:27 PM

I did see the early performance as well; my friend's daughter was in one of the Level III groups.

I agree about Kendall Britt's interpretation in the later performance. He was so vividly directing everything that was going on around him on stage. It was a very dramatic performance. I wish he was able to join PNB. Memphis is getting a terrific dancer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):