This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Just a few questions.

Does Ballet Met regularly dance to live music? I am interested in attending Giselle with my husband but his requirement to accompany me to a ballet is that it has to have live music.

Also, how is Ballet Met's Giselle. I have never see this particular ballet. Would you recommend this company's version or should I see my first Giselle elsewhere?

Thanks

Does Ballet Met regularly dance to live music? I am interested in attending Giselle with my husband but his requirement to accompany me to a ballet is that it has to have live music.

Also, how is Ballet Met's Giselle. I have never see this particular ballet. Would you recommend this company's version or should I see my first Giselle elsewhere?

Thanks

BalletMet usually does the classics to live music. It was only recently due to tight budgets within the arts that taped music was used last year. I would be very surprised if they did not use live music for this opening season classic piece.

I saw BalletMet do Giselle in 2002 (I believe). It was very nice. I enjoyed this version. I am/was a big fan of the ballerina who was retiring at the time, and it was a lovely 'last dance' if you will :thanks: However, time and company roster has changed and I am not sure who is performing it this time around.

As mentioned, call to find out before you purchase your tickets.

b1

Well I will add a new question to my old thread.

I have purchased tickets to Giselle, which is at the Ohio Theatre. The friends I am going with could not be convinced to spring for the more expensive tickets, so we will be sitting in the Lower Mezz.

What is the set up for the theatre (aka. How far is the Mezzanine from the stage?) Will binoculars be necessary? Recommended? Is it wrong to bring plain old bird watching binoculars to the theatre?

Also, the price for Orch III tickets is the same as Lower Mezz. In the future, is the sight line from those seats better? I am short, so I always assume that it's better to be in the front of the Mezz. than the back of the Orch, but I don't know the theatre.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm so excited because this will be my first "real" ballet performance since I was in 4th grade! Everything else has been student companies. I've seen the Ohio theatre seat map on balletmet's website, but would love to hear more about it from someone who has been there.

Here is a link to CAPA's Seating Chart. http://www.capa.com/columbus/venues/ohio_virtualtour.php

Having attended many performances in this theatre, I would say that the lower mezzanine is an excellent location. I would never go to the ballet without my ancient (large) binoculars for regardless where my seat is, I am always wondering exactly who is who onstage.

I prefer the orchestra level about 1/3 the way back; but be carefull not to take tickets on the sides Orch 1 and 4. As long as you are close to the internal aisle you can see the whole stage.

Giselle will be wonderful!

Well I will add a new question to my old thread.

I have purchased tickets to Giselle, which is at the Ohio Theatre. The friends I am going with could not be convinced to spring for the more expensive tickets, so we will be sitting in the Lower Mezz. 

What is the set up for the theatre (aka. How far is the Mezzanine from the stage?)  Will binoculars be necessary? Recommended?  Is it wrong to bring plain old bird watching binoculars to the theatre?

Also, the price for Orch III tickets is the same as Lower Mezz. In the future, is the sight line from those seats better?  I am short, so I always assume that it's better to be in the front of the Mezz. than the back of the Orch, but I don't know the theatre.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm so excited because this will be my first "real" ballet performance since I was in 4th grade! Everything else has been student companies. I've seen the Ohio theatre seat map on balletmet's website, but would love to hear more about it from someone who has been there.

I love the Ohio Theatre :D and have probably sat in almost every seat at one time or another!! My favorite place though was at the very top of the theatre, balcony house right, in the sound booth. I definitely needed binoculars there!!!!

Take your "old binoculars"- you may find you won't need them, but at least you'll have them in case.

Oh, and Lower Mezz is right behind Loge, if that helps.

Just saw Giselle at The Ohio Theater tonight. I thought it was very nice. The corps was very clean. Carrie West as Giselle was lovely, quite ethereal.

I took an 11 year old student of mine. First time at a ballet performance. I loved in the second act when they took off Giselle's scarf and I heard an audible gasp from her during the arabesque hop turns. It was great. And, then to hear her gasp again and say..."oh, how cool!" during the entrechat quatres series. It gave me goosebumps to be passing on the love of a good, classic ballet.

I took an 11 year old student of mine.  First time at a ballet performance.  I loved in the second act when they took off Giselle's scarf and I heard an audible gasp from her during the arabesque hop turns.  It was great.  And, then to hear her gasp again and say..."oh, how cool!" during the entrechat quatres series.  It gave me goosebumps to be passing on the love of a good, classic ballet.

It's fantastic when that happens. I really treasure those responses when I have them. You and your student are fortunate, b1.