This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2006 Jackson, Mississippi IBC Info.

Hot off the press...information on dates and enrollment in next year's Jackson IBC. Along with the Varna, Moscow & Helsinki contests, this is one of the 'grand-daddies' among competitions, with UNESCO sponsorship. Like Moscow, the Jackson one happens only once every four years. - NN

*****Press Release*****

THE USA INTERNATIONAL BALLET COMPETITION

IS NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES

Acclaimed International Dance Event Only A Year Away

Jackson, Miss., July 15, 2005 – With less than a year until the opening ceremony, the USA International Ballet Competition (USA IBC) announces that competitor applications are now available, giving amateur and professional dancers the opportunity to participate in one of the world’s most prestigious dance events. The eighth USA IBC is scheduled for June 17 – July 2, 2006.

“As the entry process is set in motion, dancers from around the globe strengthen their performance skills to train for the experience of a lifetime,” said Sue Lobrano, USA IBC executive director. “Held every four years in Jackson, Mississippi, the USA IBC is the premier dance event in the United States. We are already anticipating the excitement that accompanies such a history-making event where the new talents of dance are discovered and careers launched.”

The USA IBC is providing applications by request to inquiring competitors via mail, and application information and forms are also available for download at www.usaibc.com.

Deadline for entries is February 3, 2006. The entry requirements for 2006 are similar to those of the 2002 competition. Dancers will have the option of performing either two solo variations or one pas de deux during all rounds of the USA IBC.

Dancers may compete in two divisions: Junior, ages 15 to 18, and Senior, ages 19 to 26.

Many U.S. and international company directors attend at the USA IBC to scout for dancers for their companies. As an incentive for 2006 competitors, a limited number of one-year dance company contracts will be offered to finalists and medal winners. To date, one-year contracts at Miami City Ballet, Boston Ballet II and Ballet San Jose of Silicon Valley are available at the discretion of company officials.

Tickets for the 2006 USA IBC are available in both ticket packages and individual performance tickets. All-inclusive ticket packages go on sale to International Ballet Association members October 3, 2005, and January 2, 2006, to the public. Individual performance tickets go on sale April 3, 2006.

For more information, visit the USA IBC’s Web site at www.usaibc.com or call 601.355.9853.

I know it's still a long way off, but does anyone know if they are planning on attending? I haven't been to a competition, but I went to a gala/benefit last Spring and had a wonderful time. I'm blocking the time off in my calendar.

A most interesting program, filled with many familiar names.

I was intrigued by the lineup of primarily 19th century choreographers: Perrot and Bournonville from the first half of that century, Fokine from the first decade of the 20th, passing through lots of Petipa on the way.

http://www.usaibc.com/music.html

Putting on my devil's advocate's hat :devil: , I was wondering how it's possible to justify the omission of so many more recent choreographers who are definitely part of the "international" canon, Balanchine being only the most obvious.

What ARE the rationalizations for restrictions like this?

Is this generally true of the other major international ballet competitions? Or do others focus more on the modern (if post-World War One can be considered modern)?

Hi!

My husband and I will be going to Jackson. I'm glad that this thread is being updated as I learn so much from the postings here on BT. I'm hoping to read all sorts of ideas, insights, points of view, opinions, and just general information about other viewpoints. Such postings will undoubtedly enhance my experience in Mississippi.

I've seen the line-up for this competition. I've seen the line up for a few others. I really don't know anything about ballet (my son dances instead) but from what I understand, a dancer just can't dance variations or works from certain choreographers. These works are held tightly in trusts. These works, as all artistic works, enjoy years of copywrite protection. One must have permission, in writing, in order to perform such work. One must also generally have at least some level of supervison/oversight by someone deemed knowledgable by the trust to guarentee that the work is presented in the proper method/style/manner.

Here in South Carolina, our local university is very pleased that Stacie Calvert is now on the faculty. She brings with her access to Balanchine's choreography. Every program printed has a little blur expressing heart-felt debt to the Balanchine trust for permission to dance the work. Thus, this is my understanding. In Helsinki, competitors had to present, in writing, permission to perform or proof of the rights to their contemporary pieces too.

mouse

Since I am not going as a competitor, I do not have knowledge of this information, but maybe you can explain it to me....

The link that was sent by Bart that is on the IBC website talks of using certain music to conform to the IBC rep guidlines. Are the dancers able to use any choreography that pertains to that variation (with permissions)? Are they restricted to those variations? I was curious as to why you saw many of the same variations in competitions. And for the modern, are they able to use different music, or are they a restricted there too? Thanks for any information!

Here in South Carolina, our local university is very pleased that Stacie Calvert is now on the faculty.
Thank you for the update on Calvert. I always liked her dancing, and I missed her when she left NYCB.

Hi!

Stacie Calvert is doing an excellent job here in Columbia. The USC dance program just became an accredited major this year. One could only minor in dance before. Miriam Barbosa, a former Martha Graham dancer, is also on staff and doing some interesting choreography around town and elsewhere, including collaborative efforts with Marcelo Novo, a visual artist originally from Argentina. It has been almost like witnessing the birth of a new ballet and a new department, one open to exciting contemporary visions and grounded in strong technique. Recently (well, last November), I ran into Stacie in a long line outside the stage door. My non-dancing son performs the role of Mother Ginger in the local civic company. Stacie's daughter was a mouse. She said, "Ballet Mom? Not a role I actually ever imagined for myself" We both laughed.

About Jackson and contemporary choreography, I don't believe there are any hard-fast rules about music or the choreography. In Helsinki, one of the contemporary pieces was suppose to be set to music from the competitors home country. This rule didn't seem to be followed closely. Yet the competition did require proof of ownership/permission to use the choreography. Two modern pieces were required and both had to have written permission from the choreographer submitted before the event started. There were no such rules in the IBC Moscow competition. I'm not sure if written permission is required in Jackson or not. There is generally a time factor, however. In Helsinki, I think modern works had to be at least two and a half minutes or maybe three minutes. One competitor's work was too short. He simply changed the opening cue and added the necessary amount of time beforehand as movement without music! It worked perfectly with the mood and style of the piece. Had my son not told me about it, I would never have known that the dance wasn't suppose to be performed as I saw it. The dancer made the final round. There was a maximum amount of time too. I don't remember how long it was but some of the music abruptly "cut off" allowing everyone (including non-ballet people like me) to realize that the music should have continued but the dance was finished. If memory serves, these dancers didn't progress past the second round.

mouse

For the modern choreography, Jackson requires written permission both from the choreographer AND the copyright holder of the music. The first is fairly easy to obtain (assuming, of course, the dancer is working directly with the choreographer). The second (i.e., obtaining rights to music) is rather tedious and at times downright expensive.

I just saw the updated Competitors List, showing a few 'drops' since the original roster was published. Most significantly: the Bolshoi's Natalia Osipova is now out. A couple of Bolshoi corps ladies remain on the roster for Senior Ladies -- Anna Nikulina being the best known.

Lots and lots of talent in all categories. Here are some that caught my eye, just from my previous knowledge/viewings of them:

Senior Men is definitely the most 'packed.' This promises a Fight Royale among three hot-shots from Ukraine and a multiple-gold/Grand Prix medalist from Germany, via Russia:

* Germany - Danil' Simkin, born in Novosibirsk, Russia. Grand Prix winner of '05 Helsinki and gold medalist at Varna '04.

* Ukraine - Viktor Ischuk, 23 - Principal of Kiev Ballet; '05 Moscow IBC gold medal

* Ukraine - Zherlin Ndudi, 19 - the very exotic Russian-born dancer with African roots; trains in Munich; won '04 Eurovision, 2nd in '05 Moscow IBC.

* Ukraine - Andrei Pisarev, 20 - Andrei won gold at '04 YAGP; son of Vadim Pisarev, a multi-gold-medalist himself.

Lots of others in the hunt for medals, including soloists & principals from San Francisco Ballet, Houston Ballet, Kazakhstan National Ballet...not to forget Daniel Sarabia of Boston Ballet, brother of Rolando...and also , for the USA, Joseph Gatti of Cincinatti (gold '04 YAGP and '05 NY-IBC) and ABT Studio Co. member Brooklyn Mack. I get dizzy just reading this senior men's roster!

Junior Men is not quite as 'packed' as the seniors but also presents many talended dancers, e.g., the USA's Matthias Dingman (gold '04 Vienna & bronze '05 Moscow); Japan's Kiohei Yoshida (2nd in recent YAGP) and from Mexico, via USA (Rock School), the charismatic Isaac Hernandez, who won bronze at the '05 Moscow IBC.

Senior Ladies - With the withdrawal of Osipova, this division has lost a bit of cache but still presents many talented dancers, such as:

* Japan - Misa Kuranaga - Boston Ballet 2nd soloist, winner of the '01 Moscow IBC gold medal.

* Japan - Yui Yonezawa - '04 Varna gold medal

* Lithuania - Jurgita Dronina, a gorgeous dancer who won silver at '05 Moscow & Helsinki competitions.

* Russia - Natalia Domracheva, currently soloist with Kiev Ballet. Best known perhaps as Leonid Sarafanov's partner at '01 Moscow IBC, before winning a silver medal herself in '05. Petite, blonde, charming.

Junior Ladies. Always the 'wild card category' with many brand-new faces. Judging from those I've seen live or on video (from '05 Moscow IBC), I'd say to keep an eye out for:

* Two Russians, Natalia Vorontsova and Elena Kozakova, who won silver and bronze medals, respectively, at last year's Moscow IBC. Both are studying with the Bolshoi's academy in Moscow. Vorontsova just graduated, I believe.

* Two of the USA's brightest hopes happen to have Eastern roots: Christine Shevchenko (Ukrainian background), the gold medalist, jr division, '05 Moscow IBC, who studies at the Rock School; and Anastasia Sinitsina (Russian heritage), one of the young 'stars' of Washington, DC's Universal Ballet Academy. Sinitsina absolutely 'wowed' me at the recent UBA spring/graduation show, dancing an amazing 'Nikiya's Snake Dance' from Bayadere. Shades of Lopatkina at the start of her career!

Of course, many, many other competitors can surprise. Hopefully the judging will be fair to everyone.

I won't attend but I hope that BalletTalkers who will be in Jackson may post impressions.

Edited by Natalia

Hi!

Natalie wrote: "I won't attend but I hope that BalletTalkers who will be in Jackson may post impressions."

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! Do post, those of you fortunate to be making this trip! I cannot count on my competitor having his cell phone with him at the moments of available time. He doesn't say much when competing anyway! I had no intention of missing this and looked forward to it (with fear, doubt, and excitement) since 2002 when my neighbor, Joseph Philips, won the junior men's gold. Now, I'm unable to attend. I guess it's okay because I really don't know anything about ballet. (It's like in another language, and I'm not just referring to the French terms!) I've learned so much from the posters on this board that I doubt that I could have written anything worth reading anyway. So, please, those of you going, post messages! I will be anxious to read anything about the competition and promise to continue learning as I go!

I will definitely miss seeing Daniil Simkin. Even an "idiot" like me knew to be blown away each time he took the stage in both Vienna (2004) and Helsinki (last summer).

I quite agree with Natalie's statement: "Sinitsina absolutely 'wowed' me at the recent UBA graduation show, dancing an amazing 'Nikiya's Snake Dance' from Bayadere." Again, I know nothing about technique; but she is quite stunning and very beautifully expressive.

By the way, Joseph Gatti is competing in the senior men's category, not the juniors. I so very much wanted to see him perform. Hopefully, that day will come soon!

mouse

Oops - my error. Sorry. Mack & Gatti are both seniors. Well, that makes the senior men's category even more of a Battle Royale! I'm correcting the above post now.

By the way, here are the jurors:

Bruce Marks, Chairman, USA; Julia Moon, South Korea; Thomas Lund, Denmark; Konstanze Vernon, Germany; Doris Laine, Finland; Nina Novak, Venezuela; Tetsuji Adachi, Japan; Gizella Witkowsky, Canada; Denise Schultze, South Africa; Lita Beiris, Latvia; Simon Dow, Australia; Bruce Simpson, Great Britain; Zhanna Dubrovskaya, Russia

Mouse, I'm so sorry that you won't be able to make the trip. Let's hope that some of our friends can report. Jackson is lots & lots of fun. A very intense two weeks, sweetened with Southern Hospitality!

Julia Moon is director and prima ballerina of Korea's Universal Ballet Company. (Washington Ballet fans might remember her as Hoon Sook Pak some years ago). Others may know this -- I'm not sure if she is still dancing. She was two years ago. (I'm sure this is a coincidence but I can't help pointing out that Simon Dow was also a Washington Ballet dancer in the late '70s and '80s.)

(I'm sure this is a coincidence but I can't help pointing out that Simon Dow was also a Washington Ballet dancer in the late '70s and '80s.)
He's no stranger to ballet competitions: he was Amanda McKerrow's (non-competing) partner the year she won in Moscow.

Hello everyone...I wanted to add a few names to Natalia's "drop" list that I know of who are no longer participants.

I was sad to see Nutnaree Pipit-Suksun (Senior) from San Francisco Ballet not listed anymore. She is a stunning dancer and I'm sure she would have done very well in the competition.

Also Joseph Gorak from Orlando Ballet (Junior) is no longer a competitor but will still partner one of the Junior competitors.

Emily Ellis (Junior) fom Cincinnati Ballet has withdrawn as well.

Like Mouse I'm hoping to be there but our plans are unsure at this time. If we do go it will be for the 3rd round and Galas. There was extensive coverage at Ballet.co.uk for the last Jackson Competition and I'm hoping they'll do the same for this one. So between this site and Ballet.co it will be wonderful to follow the events for those of us who won't be able to make it and have family members or friends who are competing!

I will be attending the whole time, and I plan to post as often as I can. I was fortunate enough to go in 2002 as well. There seems to be a huge amount of talent this year. I am so excited I can hardly wait!

I was sad to see Nutnaree Pipit-Suksun (Senior) from San Francisco Ballet not listed anymore. She is a stunning dancer and I'm sure she would have done very well in the competition.

Wow, I missed this when I read the list, thanks tango49. I completely agree regarding Nutnaree. Stunning is an apt word to describe her.

Hi!

Thank you tango49 for the tip about the site in the UK. I found it and the very nice, day-by-day, dancer-by-dancer group of posts for the entire 2002 competition. It was very interesting to read about which I'd only heard tales, stories, and highlights. I posted a question too, asking if the same sort of coverage was planned for this year's competition. The answer came almost immediately and was YES. Now, like tango49 stated: "it will be wonderful to follow the events for those of us who won't be able to make it and have family members or friends who are competing!" Yes, it will be wonderful!

mouse