• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

That video makes me prefer the original idea of this thread! I never thought I would be willing to go along with the original idea! But after seeing that video I would prefer what the original poster suggested!

#77 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Oh God...what a joke. I really hope he never reaches Miami, although I think I heard or read his name and that of MCB linked somewhere.

#78 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

I actually found out that the video is from a ballet set to Bach's music. The poster of the video was making a joke because of the ramps.

But laugh about it now, because something like that is bound to happen in ballet one day! Then, we'll be crying! LOL

#79 Caesariatus

Caesariatus

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

I've only seen La Bayadere on DVD (Paris Opera Ballet), but I'm definitely in the camp of those who love the entrance of the shades.  It's mesmerizing.  And I mean that in the best way.

La Bayadere is IMHO a ballet which gets better as it goes along.  I don't know if this will be considered sacreligious by some, but I've been known to pop the DVD into the player and only watch Act III.

#80 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,026 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

You are not alone: I know people who when they're at home watching on DVD, only watch the second acts of "Giselle" and "Swan Lake" and the last acts of "The Sleeping " Beauty" and "Raymonda," which are sometimes produced as stand-alones for mixed bills.

I know when I'm really stressed, I will watch the Thomas Lund tracks of the Bournonville Schools DVDs. I've got them marked off in the booklet. Just beautiful.

#81 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

I think everyone has a little something they watch when they need it.

#82 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

But there's so MUCH in this video to appreciate if you give it a chance

--   Walking (more difficult than it looks, especially when you are doing it UP-hlll). 
--   Sharp martial arts kicks coming out of nowhere.. 
--   Synchonized calesthenics, with impressively stiff-arm gestures.

The fact that none of this connected to the music means that everyone has to  ... COUNT.

As an homage to an iconic ballet scene this is impressive work, assuming that one considers smashing a grapefruit in someone's face to be an act of homage. wink1.gif

#83 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've only seen La Bayadere on DVD (Paris Opera Ballet), but I'm definitely in the camp of those who love the entrance of the shades.  It's mesmerizing.  And I mean that in the best way.

La Bayadere is IMHO a ballet which gets better as it goes along.  I don't know if this will be considered sacreligious by some, but I've been known to pop the DVD into the player and only watch Act III.

I seldom watch entire works on video. As a matter of fact I could spend most of my viewing time with the Odette white swan Act II duet ("Swan Lake") and be totally happy, switching from one artist's interpretation to another. Not that complete works aren't fine, but so much greatness can be summarized in a few minutes.

After that would possibly be the Act II duet from Giselle. I'll wait through entire performances just for this. But first the entrance of the Shades occurs and sometimes I say to myself, "Oh, I completely forgot about this!" and then sit back and enjoy what I consider one of the most enchanting passages in all of dance.

Correction:

In the final paragraph I confused the entrance of the Shades with the entrance of the Willis from Giselle. It is the entrance of the Shades that I was thinking of, although I find the Willis' dancing very beautiful also. My mind tends to run parts of these two ballets together.

#84 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Does anybody know the original Petipa steps for the Entrance of the Shades?

I've been trying to find out as much as I can about Petipa's original choreography for the Kingdom of the Shades act and so far, I know the original choreography for the Grand Adagio, the three solo shades' variation, the duet of Nikiya with the scarf and the coda - I'm yet to learn what the original steps are for the Entrance of the Shades, the waltz of the shades and the entrances of Solor and Nikiya.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):