This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I saw “Dead Again” on DVD over the weekend. As it rarely shows up on cable or television replays, I thought I’d give it a plug. Although I saw it during its first run years ago, I’d forgotten how entertaining it was. "Dead Again" was made in 1991, in the wake of Kenneth Branagh's huge success with "Henry V" and it's his most successful non-Shakespeare film. The plot, which centers on a murder mystery, reincarnation, and assorted improbabilities, is preposterous, but enjoyably so. Branagh’s direction owes a lot to Hitchcock but it’s really homage, as opposed to barefaced thievery, and well done -- especially for a director relatively new to the form. Derek Jacobi has a nice supporting role as an antique dealer/hypnotist, and Robin Williams pops up as a defrocked psychiatrist who consults from a grocery freezer. Scott Frank's screenplay is stronger on dialogue than plot points, but it is very good fun.

Although Branagh and Emma Thompson are both technically fine in dual roles (a little struggle with accents), it does become clear why neither one became a conventional star or Larry-and-Viv redux. Branagh doesn’t have the looks, charm, or strength of a romantic lead (this is especially apparent when he’s playing the Teutonic conductor). I love Thompson and her timing is flawless as usual, but Grace Kelly, she’s not.

Check it out, I don’t think you’ll be sorry........

:) My husband and I watched this movie for the first time in August of 1997 in bed in a bungalow in Goa, India about 6 months after we were married :wub:

So..........I have very fond memories of this film. I prefer Branagh as the German conductor rather than the American PI. More scenery to chew there!! :D Thompson is lovely in both of her roles. Although the ending is rather wacky it definately is cool. And remember that scene where an aged Andy Garcia blows cigarette smoke out of the hole in his neck? Yuck!!!

If you haven't seen the film I do recommend it.

I thought this movie was lots of fun, and I particularly liked Derek Jacobi and Robin Williams, in their supporting roles. I also found Branaugh's mastery of the fast-talking American cadence to be very impressive. Many actors have gotten the accent down, but few the speed and power.