This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov in London, July 18-30

Just one week to go before the opening night.

This was sent to me by a representative of the presenters, the Hochhauser Organization, so it should be pretty reliable. As usual, this is all subject to change...even if it ends up in the printed programme (playbill). :wallbash: Nothing is sure until the curtain goes up.

VICTOR HOCHHAUSER PRESENTS

INITIAL CASTING FOR KIROV BALLET AT ROYAL OPERA HOUSE, LONDON

18/30 July 2005

18 July Swan Lake

Lopatkina - Korsuntsev

19 July Swan Lake

Tereshkina- Kolb

20 July (mat) Swan Lake

Bolshakova –Ivanchenko

20 July Swan Lake

Somova –Korsuntsev

21 July Swan Lake

Vostrotina –Zelensky

22 July Romeo and Juliet

Vishneva –Fadeyev

23 July (mat.) Romeo and Juliet

Golub –Kuznetsov

23 July Romeo and Juliet

Obraztsova –Kolb

24 July (mat) Forsythe ballets:

Steptext Vishneva –Kolb –Merkuriev –Khrebtov

Approximate Sonata –Obtaztsova –Ivanov ,

Serebryakova – Pukhachev

Petina –Pimonov

Tereshkina –Zuizin

The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude

Novikova - Tkachenko –Osmolkina

Sarafanov - Shklyarov

In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated - Pavlenko et. Al.

24 July Forsythe ballets:

Steptext –Pavlenko –Lobukhin –Yachmennikov –Ivanov

Approximate Sonata –Obtaztsova –Ivanov ,

Serebryakova – Pukhachev

Petina –Pimonov

Tereshkina –Zuizin

The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude

Novikova - Tkachenko –Osmolkina

Sarafanov - Fadeyev

In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated – Irina Golub et. Al.

25 July Romeo and Juliet

Sologub –Merkuriev

26 July Balanchine ballets:

La Valse - Lopatkina –Shishov

The Prodigal Son –Merkuriev –Pavlenko

Ballet Imperial - Vishneva –Zelensky

27 July Balanchine ballets:

La Valse - Pavlenko –Merkuriev

Prodigal Son –Lobukhin –Kondaurova

Ballet Imperial - Tereshkina –Kolb

28 July Bayadere

Vishneva –Sarafanov –Osmolkina

29 July (mat.) Bayadere

Pavlenko - Fadeyev –Tkachenko

29 July Fri Bayadere

Tereshkina –Korsakov –Golub

30 July (mat) Bayadere

Vishneva –Zelensky –Osmolkina

30 July Bayadere

Lopatkina –Korsuntsev –Tereshkina

CASTING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Edited by Natalia

I think Thalictum meant that the casts will change, most likely with no notice whatsoever, as happened recently at the Kennedy Center (Natalia provided some of the unpublicized cast changes there on the Kirov Corsaire thread). Such changes are to be expected with the Kirov; it can be extremely frustrating if, for example, you bought tickets to see Ballerina X and then the curtain goes up and Ballerina Y pas de bourrées onto the stage.

I think Thalictum meant that the casts will change, most likely with no notice whatsoever, as happened recently at the Kennedy Center (Natalia provided some of the unpublicized cast changes there on the Kirov Corsaire thread).  Such changes are to be expected with the Kirov; it can be extremely frustrating if, for example, you bought tickets to see Ballerina X and then the curtain goes up and Ballerina Y pas de bourrées onto the stage.

I know how that goes. I paid to see Pavlenko and I got Nioradze in "Bayadere."

Would anyone care to place a wager that Pavlenko's one "Bayadere" will go

to Somova? I wouldn't bet my house that Dasha gets that performance. And she's been benched for "Swan Lake;" not one performance.

[......I paid to see Pavlenko and I got Nioradze in "Bayadere."

Would anyone care to place a wager that Pavlenko's one "Bayadere" will go

to Somova? 

OUCH...Nioradze for Pavlenko! An even swap???

re. Somova - Well, it's not a stretch. Somova *has* recently danced the 'Shades' scene at the Mariinsky causing many of us to wince (including Clement Crisp, in his review of that performance in his Mariinsky Fest overview).

I could almost look at the entire Kirov London schedule and make realistic predictions on what will really happen, e.g., I predict:

Tkachenko *will* dance one of the two Ballet Imperials even though she is not announced.

Lopatkina will dance about 50% of her scheduled performances, if that.

Somova & Sarafanov will almost surely dance more than their publicized ballets.

Sologub may not dance her Juliet, as per information from a reliable StP source.

NN

And a source close to [snip]

Tkachenko was dreadful in Ballet Imperial in her debut several months ago.

How dare they not bring Dumchenko for Juliet?????!!!!!!

How dare they take Ivanova out of the Forsythe????!!!!! After Forsythe picked her for the St. Petersburg opening?

And how sad that London will not see Vishneva's magnificent Odette/Odile!!!!

Let's say that Samova, Bolshakova, and Vostrontina could learn a lot from seeing it.

Edited by Helene
Tkachenko was dreadful in Ballet Imperial in her debut several months ago.

When she danced this role in Germany last December, I thought she was perfectly adequate, not inspired, but far, far from being "dreadful"

How dare they not bring Dumchenko for Juliet?????!!!!!

Having seen Ms Dumchenko dance The Firebird in Cardiff last April, I feel her return to the stage has been premature; she needs a lot more time to get back to the kind of form necessary for leading roles.

Scherbakov was reportedly told that he would finally get to repeat his Albrecht on July 30, more than a year since his wonderful debut.  Then the performance was taken away from him, with no explanation given.

Will Scherbakov appear as Mercutio? I'm told he's wonderful in the role.

Also will Baimuradov and Zubkovsky be included among the character dancers?

Alina Somova should notbe dancing the lead in Swan Lake, in fact she shouldn't be allowed near any type of leading role at all.

Tkachenko was dreadful compared to what the role should be. She didn't fall down, but there wasn't one imperial moment in the entire performance.

She's been good in other things -- in fact I thought she looked very promising at the Kennedy Center in 2002 -- but she's been pushed way too fast.

Dumchenko reportedly danced brilliantly at Lopatkina's gala June 22. She also gave a superb Juliet last December. I don't know why she was wobbly in Cardiff. She dances quite infrequently now -- although three times in the Lopatkina evening -- and it is hard to regain shape that way. She is a great favorite in London, and was on maternity leave last time the Kirov was there two years ago.

Personally I'd rather see her wobble than watch Tkachenko plod.

I don't know whether Scherbakov dances Mercutio in London.

I assume Baimuradov and Zubkovsky will be there -- don't know for sure.

Couldn't agree with you more about Samova.

Thalictum, Vishneva has never danced Odette/Odile at the Mariinsky so why would you think that she would dance it in London? (wink) She is not considered to have the right temperament & line for Odette, while Somova, Bolshakova & Vostrotina are. Perhaps if the Vaganova version of Swan Lake is ever revived -- with different dancers dancing Odette and Odile -- we'll see Vishneva's Odile at the Mariinsky. Luckily for DV's fans, she's been able to dance the full SL in Berlin, Tokyo &, now, in NYC (ABT).

FACT: Somova & Terioshkina are absolutely being pushed/promoted by the Kirov management. All we can do is deal with it (if not accept it). Terioshkina has speedily been promoted to First Soloist.

PREDICTION: Terioshkina, I predict, will be named Principal (the highest rank) by season's end. Clement Crisp's flowery praise of Terioshkina at the last Mariinsky Fest has just speeded things up!

PREDICTION: Somova will probably achieve Principal by the end of next season. She gets debut after debut....'Etudes' lead just prior to embarking on the DC tour, for example.

FACT: Somova is absolutely despised by all of my knowledgeable 'old timer' ballet friends, who pay for Balcony seats. I don't mean 'disliked'...I purposely state the word 'despised.' Read/translate the Mariinka.com and other unofficial web Russian-lang web fora & read that this is the common thinking among local Kirov-Mariinsky Ballet followers, not just my personal circle.

Daria Pavlenko's website gives the dates of 21, 24, 26, 27 and 29 July ; 21 July is the only date that isn't actually stated in the casting provided in this thread. Any chance she might be finally replacing Vostrotina in the last Swan Lake, according to you all ?

I hear you, Helene! A prediction is definitely a prediction & no refunds are offered!

Azulynn - I can't predict that for you. All I can say is that Vostrotina *did* dance Swan Lake in early June, in St. Petersburg, as a warm-up for London....as did the other novices (Bolshakova & Somova). In other words, all systems are 'go' for the three young Odettes/Odiles to take London by storm, so to speak. I don't remember the last time that Pavlenko danced Odette/Odile..last August, perhaps.

FACT - A friend just reminded me that Pavlenko's last ballet performance in St Petersburg was the May 1 'Manon' with Bolshoi guest Nikolai Tsiskaridze. Happily for all of us, Pavlenko is slated to dance several performances in London...the first time she gets to dance in almost three months. Let's be grateful that she's dancing the Forsythes, the Balanchines and one Bayadere. Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake!

Edited by Natalia

I don't really mind the predictions becoming true or not, since I've already got my ticket. I'll see the performance, be Vostrotina or Pavlenko, but I'd be most glad if it could turn out to be the second one !

Thanks for the answer, Natalia ! ;)

No, Helene, I'm not going to tell you exactly who told me what so that I can watch more careers be destroyed. 

That is precisely why we have gossip and "no backstage" policies, which is, if it's in print, post and source it, and if it's not, don't post it here.