This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nureyev, AIDS and HIV

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

This phenomenon is fed also by the mystique cultivated by some people in the arts. They want to be known, even famous, but they also want to be thought of as unreachable, so much so as to be nearly spiritual beings, untouched by such mundane things as sex. In such a belief system, STDs of all sorts prosper. I think that it was in play with Robert Joffrey, who wouldn't have it known that he was HIV+, or even that what he was dying from was AIDS. Remember the cover story? He was supposed to have been on an experimental asthma drug that attacked his liver. Too many people knew, and spoke out, busting the story.

#17 dancemed

dancemed

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

So what's the answer? To make dancers part of the rest of the world, with physical concerns like everone else. We've seen a number of young dancers die of problems like melanoma (e.g., Fernando & Ross). Do we have to be performers till the end? Never admitting defeat (or the simplae passage of time & circumstance). I hope not.

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

On the other hand, it's what keeps some of us alive!

#19 blackdiamond13

blackdiamond13

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:13 AM

Nureyev was a devastating loss to the world.. as were so many other artists. I don't agree that AIDS is a closet issue, then again, I am from New York. Thanks, blackdiamond13.

#20 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

Last time I checked the US has not yet lifted the ban (there is a waiver for those entering the US on a short-term visa or for special events, e.g. the olympics... but then your HIV status can be recorded on your passport, making it more difficult to enter the country in the future) but there is a lot of pressure for that to change. Canada lifted the ban a few years ago, I believe (good thing that happened before Toronto hosted the AIDS conference in 2006!). Of course, some people choose to hide their HIV status at the border. I have heard of people sending their medications to the US by mail so that officials at the border won't find their pills in their luggage and prevent them from entering.

Looks like the ban is a set closer to being lifted: http://ap.google.com...0X0fsgD91USSMO0 .

Until it is, HIV/AIDS is likely to remain at least somewhat closeted, even here in New York, and with the help of the newer therapies that allow those afflicted to appear healthier longer and with a better quality of life.

A belated welcome to BalletTalk, blackdiamond13.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):