This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Paquita's music composed by Deldevez

Hi~

I have watched the DVD of Paris Opera Ballet’s Paquita for many times and I am fascinated by the music composed by Edouard-Marie-Ernest Deldevez. I’d like to buy a CD which includes Deldevez’s music of Paquita. I’ve searched for a long time but I can only find the CD in the following website, http://www.christopherseminars.com/french_paquita.htm. I’d like to know whether there are other online shops which sell this version of Paquita. Also, has anyone ever bought this CD?

I’d be thankful for your reply!

It's frustrating finding out-of-the-ordinary ballet music! I have searched for such a long time for Konservatoriet and all I can find is all of Bournonville's ballets on 9 CD's that come together! Search hard, though, and you should be able to find it somewhere! Also, you can't just look on the internet. You need to check around actual stores. I think Deldevez is a pretty mainstream composer so you should be able to find Paquita somewhere but since it went out of the repertoire, there's not much point recording it. GOOD LUCK!

To my knowledge, the complete Paquita score is not recorded on CD. POB has released their production of Paquita on DVD, so you can hear his music there for the time being. If anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it!

Deldevez a mainstream composer?  He's not even listed in Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians!  If they can't find a place for you in twenty books, you're obscure.

I suppose you're right but I've heard other pieces of his. Off the top of my head I can't remember what they are. But he's like Cherepnin except the other way around. (T)Cherepnin is pretty famous but I've only ever heard one piece of his!

Deldevez a mainstream composer? He's not even listed in Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians! If they can't find a place for you in twenty books, you're obscure.

I suppose you're right but I've heard other pieces of his. Off the top of my head I can't remember what they are. But he's like Cherepnin except the other way around. (T)Cherepnin is pretty famous but I've only ever heard one piece of his!

Hi Agnes-----There is now a complete recording of the Deldevez-Minkus 2-Act Paquita. It is a live recording of the DVD presently out with the Paris Opera Orchestra playing under the direction of J. Coleman. I have a copy of this recording and it's quite nice. Note that because it is a live recording, there is some background noise such as audience applause and coughing. All in all, it's not bad. The recording sells for around $34.99. You can obtain a copy at www.classicalballetmusic.com Go to their catalog section and look for "The Complete 2-Act Paquita". I hope this all helps.

Also, as a side, Deldevez is quite an obsure composer. According to my musicology sources, only one piece of his has ever been recorded, and it taked the form of a piano sonata. Nicolai Tcherepnin faired better. At least 2 of his 5 ballets have been recorded: Le Pavilion d'Armide (Marco Polo Label) and the more obscure Narcisse Et Echo (Chandos Label). Tcherepnin's real claim to faim, of course, was his orchestrations for the ballet Les Sylphides.

Deldevez a mainstream composer? He's not even listed in Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians! If they can't find a place for you in twenty books, you're obscure.

Delvedez was a French born composer who studied at the Paris Conservatoire under Halevy and was the composer of operas, ballets, symphonies etc.

He was conductor of the Paris Opera and joint composed ballets with Burgmuller, etc.

Delvedez became professor at the Paris Conservatoire in1874

I have more information that I need to translate if someone is interested.

Delvedez was a French born composer who studied at the Paris Conservatoire under Halevy and was the composer of operas, ballets, symphonies etc.

He was conductor of the Paris Opera and joint composed ballets with Burgmuller, etc.

Delvedez became professor at the Paris Conservatoire in1874

I have more information that I need to translate if someone is interested.

Hello

I apologize for the banality of my question, please bear with me.

There seems to be a confusion about the composer's name.

It is spelled Delvedez in some places and Deldevez in others.

Please which is the correct form?

Sincerely

Sally Syrose

Hello

I apologize for the banality of my question, please bear with me.

There seems to be a confusion about the composer's name.

It is spelled Delvedez in some places and Deldevez in others.

Please which is the correct form?

Sincerely

Sally Syrose

Deldevez is the spelling given in The New Grove, second edition, edited by Stanley Sadie, 2001.