This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mozart in the Jungle - Sex Drugs & Classical Music

I don't usually post over on this board, but thought that this book deserved being brought to the attention of the users here. I heard a very interesting interview with the author on NPR last week that really caught my attention. While much of the hype about this book focuses on the wild times in the classical music world of the seventies, the focus of the interview was on Tindall's research into the disparity between the salaries of performers and artistic directors, conductors, etc. She includes the ballet world in her discussion, as there are many similarities in the way artists are treated across the board in many of the performing arts. This is all part of the book, but it is not getting the press time that the more titillating subject matter is receiving.

Tindall is a high school graduate of NCSA and she also talked a great deal about the tremendous strides that have been made by residency programs (NCSA in particular) to ensure that their graduates' academic education is on par with the fine artistic education that they are receiving. She admits that this was not the case in the earlier days of the program when she attended and discussed at some length the fact that she really wasn't prepared to do anything else but become a musician when she graduated from high school.

Tindall more recently has accompanied Broadway shows and currently is an accompanist for NYCB. Her understanding and experience with many aspects of the performing arts makes this really good reading and some very good food for thought during the summer months!