Swan Lake productions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the Best Swan Lake production today? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the Best Swan Lake production today?

1. 1. ABT's (McKenzie) (8 votes [15.69%])

Percentage of vote: 15.69%

2. 2. NYCB's (Martins) (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

3. 3. Royal Ballet's (Dowell) (10 votes [19.61%])

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

4. 4. POB's (Nureyev) (4 votes [7.84%])

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

5. 5. Kirov (Sergeyev) (18 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

6. 6. Other (please specify) (10 votes [19.61%])

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

Vote

#16 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

I'm with Leigh on this one, though I admit to not having seen all of the productions.

#17 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:37 PM

nysusan,

I think we grew up on the same two Swan Lakes. The Ashton one for Royal Ballet and the Blair for ABT were the ones I came to know the ballet by.

Your question on the Perm version is interesting.

This is not an answer because much can change in 13 years, but if you click on the Amazon link and search Swan Lake Perm, you will see the VHS with Nina Ananiashvili from a 1992 Perm performance.
Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Richard. I actually have that video somewhere but after I posted my question I did a little research on the web and it seems that Makarova is doing a new staging for them, which is the one they are bringing on this tour. Which leaves only one question for me - see it at NJPAC or at both Princeton and NJPAC! Road trip, anyone?

#18 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:48 AM

I voted for the Kirov (big surprise, right? :rofl: )

#19 Dr. Coppelius

Dr. Coppelius

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:43 PM

Well I voted "Other"
My favorites is three very different productions of Swan lake.

1. The new classic of Matthew Bourne.
2. Peter Wright's dark and gothic produktion with the Royal Swedish Ballet.
3. Barbie of Swan lake, with Choreography by Peter Martins and with the London Symphony Orchestra. A colorful animated fairytale, not to be missed.

Edited by Dr. Coppelius, 07 July 2005 - 11:20 PM.

#20 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Dr. Coppelius, can you elaborate on the Peter Wright production? Many years ago, I saw his Swan Lake for what was then the Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet and by today's standards, it was definitely a 'traditional' Swan Lake.

#21 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:39 PM

Martins' version does not seem to be doing well. I'm out of the loop recently as regards the NYCB. Just what has been the recent performance history of this production at the State Theater? And what do the NYCB fans think of it?

#22 Dr. Coppelius

Dr. Coppelius

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:20 PM

Dr. Coppelius, can you elaborate on the Peter Wright production? Many years ago, I saw his Swan Lake for what was then the Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet and by today's standards, it was definitely a 'traditional' Swan Lake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well my other favorites are VERY untraditional, so thats why I like the Peter Wright production, it's "back to the original" and "authentic" as the artistic director says in an interview, and it's also very swedish, if Bergman had done svan lake it maybe have been something like this. Why didn't Bergman do a ballet? he did an opera.

This evening on the Mezzo channel it's a Bolshoi production of swan lake and also Don Quichotte with Baryshnikov.

Edited by Dr. Coppelius, 09 July 2005 - 12:11 AM.

#23 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:13 AM

Off-topic: Bergman did do a "Swan Lake," in a way: "Summer Interlude."

#24 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:57 AM

I voted for the Kirov (big surprise, right? :D )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nine photos of the Mariinsky Swan Lake [and many other Mariinsky photos], including some of Lopatkina have been posted on the ballet.co gallery:
http://www.ballet.co...ublicity_images

#25 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

Thank you, drb!

What beautiful hands Lopatkina has.

#26 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

Thank you, drb!

What beautiful hands Lopatkina has.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just posted in balletco's gallery are 24 photos of the Mariinsky's Swan Lake currently appearing in London. Tereshkina/Kolb.
http://www.ballet.co...v_swanlake_0705
Included are nine photos of The Real Act 4. This is what we're missing, fellow ABT fans! And what a corps.... Maybe this post should have been to the Act 4 string?

#27 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:44 PM

The Real Act IV doesn't end Happily Ever After :)

#28 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

The Real Act IV doesn't end Happily Ever After :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it is what Stalin ordered! But at least, until the blown ending, there is beauty.
Of course you're right, Leigh. Your remark reminded me of a summer of true Swan Lakes, three decades ago. First ABT's, with Makarova/Nagy. Followed into the Met by The Royal's, with Makarova/Dowell. Both were true to the choreography, tragedy, and the feelings expressed with mime. It is unfortunate that now the best we can do is 'improved' by being mimeless, yet adhere's to tradition established by 'The Great Leader.' Where's a Lake worthy of Veronika Part?

#29 Rosie

Rosie

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

My favorite past productions were the ones I grew up with, Ashton’s for the RB (I loved his first act waltz) and Blair’s for ABT. I would love to see a plain vanilla traditional Swan Lake. Does anyone know what the one the Perm ballet is bringing to NJPAC & Princeton is like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nysusan,

I think we grew up on the same two Swan Lakes. The Ashton one for Royal Ballet and the Blair for ABT were the ones I came to know the ballet by.

Your question on the Perm version is interesting.

This is not an answer because much can change in 13 years, but if you click on the Amazon link and search Swan Lake Perm, you will see the VHS with Nina Ananiashvili from a 1992 Perm performance.

I have this, haven't looked at it in a long time, but remember it being being similar to other Russian/Soviet versions. (these are not pluses for me)

But I do remember some very nice work from the corps, which surprised me, then I did a little research and found that Perm is a major ballet company, maybe 3 rd after Maryinsky and Bolshoi in Russia, or rather the former USSR.

I also remember Nina's very fast fouettes in Act 3.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Bolshoi´s Swan lake from 1989 with Alla Mikhalchenko and Yuri Vasyuchenko is great! But i´m sure Kirov Swan lake is great too. When i did look for the Swan lake on dvd i couldn´t find Kirovs but if they did had Kirovs Swan lake i would buy it.

#30 Dr. Coppelius

Dr. Coppelius

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:56 PM

There are at least two Swan Lake DVD's with Kirov
http://ginza.se/Prod...x?ItemId=126328

http://www.amazon.co...&v=glance&n=130

I really love the first one from 1968 with Yelena Yevteyeva as Odette/Odile, it's a studio production, but be aware that the sound quality is not the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):