This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I was able to attend the 7:00 pm performance yesterday, and was completely blown away. There was a wide range of different ballets and dance, with works by Balanchine, Petipa, Paul Taylor, and many others.

Sean Lavery spoke to introduce the performance, telling how as a young boy, the only boy in his class he learned Swan Lake alongside the girls, because Marcia said it would be good for him, and when he was old, he could stage Swan Lake. :) Before each person danced, a video clip of that person dancing in earlier years as a CPYB student was shown. (for example: a tiny Abi Stafford perfectly executing the Corsaire variation with the all the arabesques into pirouettes) Also included were video clips and hellos from those stars who could not make it to the show (Grant Delong, Adrienne Shulte, Tina LeBlanc, Heather Jurgenson, Vanessa Zahorian, Kristin Long)

On to the actual dancing. It was amazing! I particularly liked the White Swan Pas de Deux, performed by Lia Cirio and James Whiteside, Carrie Imler in the variation from Stars and Stripes, a fun African-themed piece performed by Sherri LeBlanc, and Nh'amor by Laszlo Berdo performed by Zachary Hench and Julie Diana. Noelani Pantastico was glowing in the pas de deux from A Midsummer Night's Dream (partnered by Jeffrey Stanton). However, my favorite moment of the evening was Ashley Bouder's grand pas de chats. From seemingly out of nowhere, she was all of a sudden high in the air, and the straight leg was next to her head. It was amazing :) There was a collective gasp from the audience.

I couldn't find much wrong with the performance, but I will say that CPYB's excellent technique and training pay off. The dancers from CPYB were mostly stronger and freer because of their technique. Without mentioning names (because I'm not a real critic yet :shhh: ) there were some (but not all) guests I wasn't impressed with.

At the end of the performance, Alan Hineline choreographed a sort of finale for all the CPYB alumnus and 6 young CPYB students. Marcia was brought up the stage, given a very long standing ovation, 3 huge flower bouquets, and lavendar and gold balloons cascaded down onto the stage. She was very humble and seemed overwhelmed. :huh: Thank you, Marcia!

It sounds as if it was a really wonderful show, wish that I could have been there. As the mom of some of the "Stars" who have performed in the past, I know how amazing that this performance is. Some of the dancers are able to come with their usual partners and perform pieces that they have been rehearsing and performing this season. Others are meeting up with a new partner that they have never met to perform a piece requested and have only a few days to teach the piece to their new partner and to try to get comfortable with the partnering. I feel sure that some of the performances that didn't blow you away were some of those, and were absolutely amazing if you could know how little prep they had to get it together. Besides just meeting and learning choreography, there is also sometimes a problem finding rehearsal time and space because of the summer program classes. They are pros though and get it together for Marcia. I'm glad that you enjoyed the show. There have been some really amazing dancers who have come from CPYB, Marcia should be very proud.

Thank you, blizzardqueen!

I, too, wish I had been at this performance. Marcia Dale Weary and CPYB have produced so many great dancers, and I've always been astonished not only at the strength of their base technique, but how individual each dancer's stage presence is. In my opinion, CPYB and Alicia Alonso's school are the two great breeding grounds for dancers.

In San Francisco we've been really blessed with her students -- Tina and Sherri LeBlanc, Kristin Long, Vanessa Zahorian, Julie Diana, Jeff Stanton, Zachary Hench.

I have to agree with blizzardqueen, their training has not inhibited them but set them free to go up and come down when they choose -- VERY different dancers, dance personalities. All of them musical, too.... perhaps that's Tomasson's choosing. but maybe Marcia Dale Weary can even teach MUSICALITY.

Justdoit- Funny, I was thinking the same thing, but thought people would be offended if I mentioned it. It was a wonderful night, with some wonderful ballet. Very inspirational. Of course, I loved my dd's performance, the White Swan Pas de deux. Debbie Wingert and Francois Perron brought tears to my eyes - they were gorgeous together. She is such an inspiration, and a nice person besides. I also loved Sherri LeBlanc's Lambarena and Zach Hench's Nh'amor (choreographed by Laszlo Berdo). I agree - Noelani was glowing in her pas. She dances with such ease, and her partner, Jeff Stanton, seemed a perfect partner. I also enjoyed Carrie Imler in Stars and Stripes - she is so strong, with what I would consider perfect technique. PNB certainly is blessed to have both of them (Noe and Carrie), along with Kara Zimmerman.

It was fun to watch the video clips of the dancers before each of them performed.

DD said it was alot of fun and she was glad to be part of making Marcia's celebration so special.

PNB certainly is blessed to have both of them (Noe and Carrie), along with Kara Zimmerman. 

We are indeed blessed in Seattle to have all three women. Did Kara Zimmerman dance in the tribute? She is a beautiful dancer, equally fluent in adagio and allegro.

Sherri did "Lambarena"? No wonder there's interest in that ballet cropping up on the boards....

We REALLY miss her here in SF. What a WONDERFUL dancer

I take it she did the allegro solo -- you guys should know that that solo, with all its jumps and all that torque in the back comes at the END of hte ballet, when she's already danced her shoes off.... but by then Evelyn (Cisneros, for whom the ballet was made) was riding high, she had such amazing stamina. Tina danced it here last year -- I never saw Sherri do it, WISH I HAD, but she has the willingness to go to her edge, and to USE her back -- which could make that solo really joyous.

I really wish I'd been there....

and justdoit, let me echo Leigh's remark about what Balanchine liked -- "Perfect is boring" all his dancers say he wanted ENERGY. When Darci Kistler was a kid at the barre one day she kicked so hard in the grand battements she knocked herself off her standing leg and fell down - and Balanchine (as the story goes) said "Now THAT's what I want to see!" His wittiest saying, wickedly funny, about the Royal Ballet's "correct" style, was how "in England if you're awake it's vulgar already."

Leigh - Bouder danced the pas from Donizetti Variations. I think Justdoit meant that her pas de chats looked somewhat out of place in such a beautiful, lyrical piece. There is no doubt that she is an amazing dancer and an audience favorite, just not everybody's taste. Helene, Kara Zimmerman danced a variation from the Swan Lake pas de trois. She was lovely. The dancers from PNB were "class acts", both on and off the stage, imo. There were also performances by dancers from Cincinnati Ballet, Milwaukee Ballet, Paul Taylor, Miami City Ballet, and Louisville Ballet besides the ones mentioned. ABT and San Fran dancers were absent because of still being in season.

I did feel Bouder's interpretation was over the top throughout the piece. It just seemed to be about MORE, faster, bigger, better while missing almost all of the subtle details which add much more to a ballet for the audience. Case in point, Noelani Pantastico was, for me, the highlight of the evening. Her beautiful, languid phrasing and attention to detail were riveting. It was the difference between going for "shock value" and completely captivating the audience. By the way, a lot of the applause for Bouder was for her equally impressive partner, Tyler Angle.

Wish I could've seen the performance. Marcia has created some of the best dancers out there, she must be proud. Where was Olivia Lavery? Did she dance? She was raised with the CPYB, correct? Would have loved to see Zachary Hench dance, as it has been about 15 years! :blush: Also would have loved to see Ashley B. do Donizetti. Did Abi Stafford perform?

Its the mom: was your daughter "born" into CPYB, or did she go there for a little bit after attending a different, previous school?

Annemd - DD didn't go to CPYB until she was older (14). She trained at a small school outside of Philadelphia. DD was very lucky in that Marcia loved her and used her alot. She stayed at CPYB for three years before going on to Boston Ballet. It truly was a beautiful Stars show. Abi did dance. She danced Harlequinade pas.