This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ken Laws Physic dance books

You might try barnesandnoble.com, alibris.com, and powells.com, all of which have out of print titles with lots of information about the quality and condition of the books available. ( I should note out of respect for this site's sponsor that Amazon.com also has out of print titles, although personally I prefer the other sites for OOP books.)

Books are also auctioned off on eBay, and although I would not expect Laws' titles to pop up as frequently as better-known books, you never know -- and you can find some good deals, with the caveat that items are not always in the finest shape, so read the descriptions carefully and ask questions of the seller if you need to.

It doesn't hurt to check with the information desk at your local Borders, either -- sometimes I've checked on books I believed were out of print and been surprised.

Kenneth Laws did a 'science and art' presentation on Oct. 1 at CUNY Grad. Center in NYC, w/ CPYP dancer Magrielle Eisen to help with the lecture demonstration. A handout at the event announced the up-coming publication from Oxford University Press of PHYSICS AND THE ART OF DANCE: UNDERSTANDING MOVEMENT. This book, 240 pp. w/ 90 half-tone illustrations and 25 line drawings, due out in January 2002 ($35.00) would appear to be a combination of Laws' two previous books, both published by Shirmer Books:

1] THE PHYSICS OF DANCE, 1984

2] PHYSICS, DANCE, AND THE PAS DE DEUX, 1994, which was marketed with an accompanying video tape.

(no tape seems to be connected with this book.)

THE VILLAGE VOICE ran a short piece about the lecture/demo by Eva Yaa Asantewaa in its Oct. 2 issue, which should be available on line.

hope this helps.