This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ferri to withdraw from Giselle perf. with injury

ALESSANDRA FERRI TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCES OF GISELLE DUE TO INJURY

Due to injury, Principal Dancer Alessandra Ferri will not dance scheduled performances of the title role of Giselle on Monday, July 11 and Friday,

July 15. Principal Dancer Julie Kent will replace Ferri in the leading role opposite Julio Bocca as Albrecht for both performances.

This season marks Alessandra Ferri’s 20th Anniversary with American Ballet Theatre. A celebration of this anniversary was scheduled for Friday evening, July 15. Instead, the Company will pay a special on-stage tribute to Ferri immediately following the performance.

American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House continues through July 16.

I'm sorry to hear about Alessandra's injury...hope she'll be well soon.

Can you tell me how this affects the cast for Sat. evening, July 16? We have tickets and were really looking forward to seeing Julie Kent. If Ms. Kent dances on July 15, would she still dance on July 16?

That's the plan, according to latest casting handout at the Met.

Many years ago, Baryshnikov era, there was a similar situation at end of the season, when all or part of two casts of DonQ were indisposed, and Amanda McKerrow and Wes Chapman ended up doing the leads like four or five days in a row.

I can't imagine that Giselle requires the kind of stamina that DonQ does, but Amanda and Wes were very young then.

What a shame! I own the Giselle VHS with Alessandri Ferri and Massimo Murru from La Scala and I was really looking forward to seeing her dance the part live. However, Julie Kent should prove to be a worthy substitute. I just saw her Tuesday evening in Le Corsaire and she was lovely.

ALESSANDRA FERRI TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCES OF GISELLE DUE TO INJURY

Due to injury, Principal Dancer Alessandra Ferri will not dance scheduled performances of the title role of Giselle on Monday, July 11 and Friday,

July 15.  Principal Dancer Julie Kent will replace Ferri in the leading role opposite Julio Bocca as Albrecht for both performances.

And here I thought I was being so smart. The change for the 7/11 performance was announced a week or so ago. So last night I thought "ok, Ferri is out of the 11th, let me change that ticket for the 15th, where she's still listed". Last night I changed the ticket from the early to the later performance.

Well it SEEMED like a good plan anyway. But that's ok, I'd like to see Julie anyway.

To switch gears a bit, I have been surprised at how liberal the subscription ticket exchange policy has been this ABT season. Much more so than the Met Opera.

Richard

Thank you, zerbinetta!!! That is good news, indeed. I am crossing my fingers- PLEASE PLEASE Alessandra, get better!!

fandeballet: I agree about Kent and Bocca- I think they have truly wonderful chemistry and their Giselle should be beautiful. :) I am excited

But....Ferri and Bocca...is a whole other thing on its own..

carbro- she also did the PDD from Onegin at the Tschaikovsky Spectacular twice with Bocca.

Ferri was scheduled to perform in Giselle at La Scala in very early April- and she started the performance, and had to stop in the beginning. Someone replaced her, and Zakharova came a few days later to fill in. I'm pretty sure she's been injured since. She has been taking a little bit of class here and there.

carbro- she also did the PDD from Onegin at the Tschaikovsky Spectacular twice with Bocca.

Ferri was scheduled to perform in Giselle at La Scala in very early April- and she started the performance, and had to stop in the beginning. Someone replaced her, and Zakharova came a few days later to fill in. I'm pretty sure she's been injured since. She has been taking a little bit of class here and there.

I bought tickets to ABT GISELLE in LA specifically b/c Ferri was supposed to perform (and i live in Arizona). The reason they gave that Ferri was not performing was that she performed 4 Giselles in 4 nights and suffered an injury. that was as much as they would say. Doesn't quite sound right, though...

-goro-

I bought tickets to ABT GISELLE in LA specifically b/c Ferri was supposed to perform (and i live in Arizona).  The reason they gave that Ferri was not performing was that she performed 4 Giselles in 4 nights and suffered an injury.  that was as much as they would say.  Doesn't quite sound right, though...

-goro-

You must be horribly disappointed.

Was it the box office who gave you the reason, or was a company representative?