This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Romantic Era

I just received, in the mail, my own edition of THE ROMANTIC BALLET in LITHOGRAPHS of THE TIMES, by C.W. Beaumont and Sacheverell Sitwell.

I bought it from a bookstore in London called DANCE BOOKS LTD.

It's a wonderful book with great information and many pictures of the Romantic Era Ballerinas.

I still would like to own the big color prints of these Romantic Era Ballerinas that were sold in the 1960s.

Does anyone know how to get these prints?

Mel, actually "The pre-romantic ballet" by Marian Hannah Winter is not so hard to find: it is in the catalog of Dance Books (a wonderful bookstore indeed, what a pity it is not in London any longer), my boyfriend bought it for me there last year (but I haven't read it yet).

Glebb, perhaps you could ask the owners of Dance Books about how to get such color prints.

Glebb,

the bigger color prints from the 6Os do show-up sometimes at general house-sales overhere. They are difficult to trace because they appear in un-catalogued sales. I think they are more likely to find in the UK. In the past 5 years, I saw some a few times....if I hear or see again something about them, I'll send you an alert. Strange, I've never seen them on Ebay ?!

Hi, Glebb! There is an antique-prints shop in Cecil Court, London, which has many ballet-theme lithographs and such. It occupies the spot directly opposite (across from) the old Dance Books site. Its name is The Witch's Ball. If memory serves, it was still there last summer. I will try to dig-up the business card; I'm sure that telephone assistance for England could help, if you're in a rush. You have name of shop & street.

There are many other lithograph shops in the area but this one, as I recall, focuses on theatrical arts themes. The owner always has LOTS of ballet items & she is extremely knowledgeable on the ballet-lithographs topic.

Warning, though - they are pricey but they are beautiful & authentic with certifications/registration, e.g., I paid about 600 L for a Fanny Elssler-Cachucha 'Beautees de l'Opera' lithograph after lots of bargaining with the lady who owns the shop!

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

That may be another one, Viviane. The one where I bought my prints was Witches Ball. I do recall a couple of other print shops in Cecil Court but, at the time that I compared them, WB had the most ballet-related items. I am sure that there are other areas in London. And when one goes further afield, one finds real treasure-troves...such as a little shop in Plymouth, near the quai, with tons of ballet books & prints, although that is not its lone subject. [Gee, I really should put my ballet-related business cards into a rolodex.]