This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I lost track of a dancer : Ben Huys

Viviane

I know Ben is a former NYCB-soloist (and from my village :) )

What do you mean by 'from my village'?

Ben has been working as repetiteur for Balanchine Trust and Robbins Rights Trust. He staged Serenade for Shanghai Ballet in 2005, Theme and Variations for Guangzhou Ballet, Scotch Symphony in Tokyo. He has also staged ballets in Stuttgart, Seattle and Seoul.

After this week's La Valse premiere in Shanghai, Ben will fly to London on Saturday. He will stage Dances at a Gathering for Royal Ballet. The premiere will be next year though.

Ben Huys will stage Wheeldon's Variations Serieuses for Pacific Northwest Ballet in Seattle in October.

I hope you have as much fun with that ballet as we did in NY. The set is delightful, and the story, a "42nd Street" for ballet. The ending was changed for the second season, and I preferred the 1st ending. Doug, maybe you can tell that to Ben!

Ben Huys will stage Wheeldon's Variations Serieuses for Pacific Northwest Ballet in Seattle in October.

And will apparently stage something for the Goh Ballet while he is in the neighbourhood ...

"In early November, the George Balanchine Foundation will send dance artist Ben Huys to select a Balanchine piece for the Goh Ballet Company to perform for the 30 th Anniversary Gala in May 2008. While here, Mr. Huys will also be a guest instructor for two weeks for the Academy’s Professional Division."

http://www.gohballet.com/fall2007.htm

I wonder what it will be? They did Serenade for their 25th anniversary :

http://www.criticaldance.com/reviews/2003/Goh20030612.html

the unusual aspect of these balletmastering duties for BH is that he wasn't in the ballets themselves, nor in the company for which they were created when they were made.

i guess he learns them from videos? (or perhaps sat in when the were previously staged or rehearsed by Wheeldon?)

The two stagers from the Robbins Foundation for PNB's "West Side Story Street", which premiered in May 1995, were Elyse Borne and Jean-Pierre Frohlich. I know Borne had left NYCB by then, and I think Frohlich might have as well. At least one of them never danced in the work.

in the case of WSSS: JPFrolich became Robbins's righthand ever since he left the stage as a performer and he likely worked directly alongside JR on Jerome Robbins's Broadway, which is where, essentially, WSSS came from; Bourne was perhaps brought in to assist JPF as he set things, to keep them 'in shape' etc. (or perhaps she was involved in an earlier staging of WSSS that JPF set.)

i've not sensed that Huys was around Wheeldon or his work all that much, but maybe i've missed this part of his career.

BH's staging of Balanchine has much more 'direct connection' to the ballets in question, as he was in NYCB and danced in any number of Balanchine ballets.

and the 'he' in the above post would would Huys? or Frolich?

i know BH set DANCES for the Royal Ballet's most recent staging.

but JPF stages much himself, tho' his hand is often required for NYCB's works.

and the 'he' in the above post would would Huys? or Frolich?

i know BH set DANCES for the Royal Ballet's most recent staging.

but JPF stages much himself, tho' his hand is often required for NYCB's works.

Oh, I'm sorry to have been so obscure -- it was Huys. I'm hoping to sneak into the second set of rehearsals and watch more coaching -- with this ballet I think that's where a lot of the intention gets communicated.