This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Ballets New/Old Sleeping Beauty Book?

I dont remember where I saw it, but I know that there was a book done documenting the Mariinsky Ballets new/old Sleeping Beauty. I cant remeber the title, but I want to get it!!! Anyone know who the author is and the title?

I received the book yesterday. When I ordered there were two left, so get hopping people! This book is excellent and a must:sweatingbullets:! It has photos of the first night performance in 1890, and the 1999 revival. It also

names the original cast principals, and the (unsung to history) lesser soloists who created the 'other' fairies, courtiers, fairy tale characters, nymphs, genies, etc. If you've seen the production, compare the archival photos and you will be struck by the attention given to every detail. The 1999 scenery and costumes are indeed exact replicas of what it was. Vikharev & the Maryinsky did an awesome job.

The text, research and interviews are on point and very thorough, discussing the entire history of the ballet in Russia. This timeline covers project conception in 1889 up to the 1999 revival. The bibliography and citations are very detailed. Surprisingly, the book is quite small to be so jam packed with information. If you buy it, read the Appendix first for a good laugh: It contains all of the reviews of the media and dance & music critics of 1890 St. Petersburg :jawdrop:.

Like Cygnet, I to got my self a copy of this book, and It arrived yesterday. It is a wonderful piece of work! It has many pictures of the 1st production, and the new one. When comparing, one sees that the sets are not EXACTLY the same, but they are as closely as possible identical to the originals.

SUCH A GREAT BOOK! Everyone should get it.

Heres a link to the amazon.com page of the book (through ballet talk of course!)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846