This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Moscow Int'l Ballet Competition reports

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

Marga, sorry for the identification errors.
Mikhail and singing_medora, many thanks for the useful links.

#47 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:13 PM

3rd Round, Junior Division, 6/28/05

Junior women (my lists, not in any order)

Christina Shevchenko USA
Marina Burtseva R
Maria Vinogradova R
Oksana Kardash R
Alyona Samarskaya R
Elena Kazakova R
Chinara Alizade R

Junior men

Ivan Vasiliev Belarus
Alexander Shpak Ukraine
Zherlin Ndudi Ukraine
Igor Motizov R
Isaac Hernandez Mexico
Matthias Dingman USA

This evening was the Third round for the Junior division. Each competitor had two classical variations or, instead, one pdd. Two competitors selected pdd:
Kazakova Corsair act II, and Alizade Swan Lake act III. Both had non-competing partners.
The evening as a whole showed some cases of understandable stress and tension,
so there little slips and hesitancies that showed some performers not at their very best.

Others came through energized to a degree that showed them in superb form.
Among these were Christine Shevchenko, Alexander Shpak [Actaeon and a wonderful Giselle act II variation], Ivan Vasiliev, Isaac Hernandez, and Zherlin Ndudi for his second variation. (His first was good and he received enormous applause [DQ] but his second [Actaeon] was right on ). Burtseva for her second dance performed a variation
from Esmeralda act II -not the tambourine variation- but another with slow movements
and bourees with parallel feet going backwards in long lines across the stage, that were greatly appreciated by the audience.

The results are to be posted at midnight, local time. That's about now.

PS I'll be glad to provide any details or specifics but there's just too much to write about.

#48 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for your report, as always, chiapuris!

Comment & Question on one of the junior male finalists -- Zherlin Ndudi of Ukraine. I saw him in the video of the 2003 Eurovision Competition, when he won the top prize, so I know what an amazing raw talent he is (was 'raw' then...surely with more finesse now, two years later). QUESTION: He is Ukrainian but do you know his ethnic background? He is a very good looking mulatto. I would have guessed him to be Cuban, in fact, but the name is not Spanish. Perhaps he has African blood? I'm sure that his history has appeared in the Moscow newspapers, by now. Thanks, in advance, for any info that you have on the background of this fascinating dancer!

#49 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

A friend in Moscow has given me the results of the juniors:

WOMEN

GOLD - USA!!! Christina Shevchenko for soloists

Russia's Chinara Alizade wins jr. women's gold for duets

SILVER - Natalia Vorontsova among duets; Maria Vinogradova among soloists

BRONZE - Elena Kazakova among duets; Anna Tikhomirova & Marina Burtseva (TIE) among soloists

All female medalists except for Schevchenko are Russians.

MEN

GOLD - Ivan Vasiliev (Belarus)

SILVER - Zherlin Ndudi (Ukraine)

BRONZE - TIE between Isaac Hernandez (Mexico) & Matthias Dingman (USA)

No jr men duet awards were given but Karim Abdullin (Russia) obtained a special award as non-competing partner.

All the remaining junior participants in the third stage obtained diplomas.

CONFIRMED via the Russian magazine, Balet, site:
http://www.russianba...lgrlaureat.html

Natalia Nabatova

#50 Renata

Renata

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

Congratulations to all of the junior winners and to all of the fine dancers who particpated in the junior division of this competition. And thank you ciapuris, Natalia and the others who helped us keep up with the results. It is exciting to wait for the senior results.

#51 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

For the record:
In Post #47 I neglected to mention that in the Third Junior round,
Vorontsova also danced a pdd, Nutcracker Act II, with a non-competing partner.

Congratulations to all of them!

#52 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:11 AM

Thanks, chiapuris. We look forward to your report on the seniors/round 3.

Do you know if the choreography prizes will be announced concurrently with those of the senior dancers?

Natalia

#53 Daniil

Daniil

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:25 AM

Thank you so much for the reports and fast information !

Congratulation to everybody taking part in this competition and especially to the winners Ivan Vasiliev and Zherlin Ndudi :)

#54 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

Round 3 Senior Division, 6-29-05

The results for the Senior division were to be announced at the theatre around 12:30 am, about half an hour ago. We were having dinner, so I don't know the results.
My choices as top contenders are:

Ekaterina Krysanova
Eugenia Obraztsova
Natalia Osipova
Anastasia Matvienko
Irina Kolesnikova
Sun Xin
Natalia Domrayeva
Ekaterina Borchenko

Denis Matvienko
Yaroslav Salenko
Victor Ischuk
Tabyldy Doszhan
Ivan Koslov
Zhiwei Wang

The biggest, longest applause of the evening belonged to Denis and Anastasia Matvienko in the Corsaire Act II pas de deux. The adagio was gorgeous, with beautiful supported pirouettes. Their variations were outstanding- they had it all. The applause for his variation was thunderous.

Obraztsova danced the Bournonville 'Festival…' variation to no great applause, but her Sleeping Beauty Act III variation was well applauded. I thought she danced both of them
beautifully.

Osipova in the DQ pdd , made of the variation a very exciting dance. In the coda she started out with a series of double fouettes and then a series of singles with a perfect finish. Just before the end of the coda she came way off balance in an arabesque but it wasn't clear whether it was an error of the partner or not.

Krysanova also finished the evening's program with a DQ pdd. She danced with great zest and a beautiful clarity of line. Her non-competing partner did not always give her the best support.

Yaroslav Salenko seem to 'nail' his Corsaire variation; in his first variation, DQ, he performed double tours ending in arabesque, but alternating sides: one right, the next left,
the next right… Outstanding dancing.

Domrayeva and Ischuk were another couple who were sensational in a DQ pdd.

Tomorrow the first gala.

#55 Renata

Renata

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:46 PM

Chiapuris,
Thank you for the splendid review of the seniors. It made me feel as if I was watching along with you.
Renata

#56 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

My thanks, too, Chiapuris--

you make it present, I'm quite excited....

I'm pulling fr Krysanova, but the Matvienko duo seems to have had God on their side that night...... It's wonderful when BOTH dancers are really on. Wish I'd seen that, it sounds so fully realized.

#57 Mikhail

Mikhail

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:58 PM

Here are the results for the seniors as they were reported that night at http://forum.balet.r...p?p=10213#10213 .

Grand prix – Denis Matvienko (Ukraine)

Women

Duets
1. Matvienko Anastasia (Ukraine)
2. Domracheva Natalia (Russia, works in Kiev) and Krysanova Ekaterina (Russia, Bolshoi)
3. Osipova Natalia (Russia, Bolshoi)

Soloists
1. Obraztsova Evgenia (Russia, Mariinsky)
2. Dronina Jourghita (Lithuania)
3. Matsak Natalia (Ukraine)

Men

Duets
1. Ishchuk Victor (Ukraine)
2. Kozlov Ivan (Ukraine) and Wang Zhiwei (China)
3. not attributed

Soloists
1. Salenko Yaroslav (Ukraine)
2. Tabyldy Doszhan (Kazakhstan)
3. no candidates

Andrei Pisarev from Ukraine who danced in the group of men soloists was injured at the rehearsal 15 minutes before the beginning of the competition and did not participate.

#58 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:23 PM

Many thanks, Mikhail, for posting the results.

#59 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:15 AM

Does anyone know which troupe/school Christina Shevchenko is a part of?
I wonder where Anastasia Matvienko performs -- is she Denis's wife or sister? Thanks.

#60 chezdancer

chezdancer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:53 AM

Christine is a ballet student and will be 17 in September. She mainly takes private lessons with a number of teachers (mostly of Russian background) and also takes class at the Rock School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as well as at a number of other schools in the Philadelphia area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):