Amsterdam anyone?Where is everybody?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Mireille

Mireille

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:32 AM

I saw their performance in Montreal and a nice evening it was. I enjoyed the Schumann pieces very much but the corps de ballet in Pastor's work looked underreheased. I found Brenson's Carmen much more refined and in tune with Schedrin's arrangement than Alonso's, and its emotional build-up made me forget Petit's as well (except for the intermède), and as the next pas
de deux ended, I wished for the tradition of encores that disappeared, I would have clapped to see it again and again. Overall talented and very expressive dancers (strong male dancers) in well-defined roles, and Ms. de Jongh's lines, exquisite walking and lightness in dancing was delighting.

#17 Herman Stevens

Herman Stevens

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:17 AM

Glad you enjoyed the program, Mireille.

I was a little surprised, reading one or two Canadian reviews, how little the reviewers seemed to care for Van Manen's Schumann Pieces which I would regard as the strongest part of the program.

No big deal, but Carmen's choreographer's name is spelled Brandsen rather than "Brenson". He's the HNB's AD, and, boy, do I wish he was on a plane tonight to have a chat with Alexandra Ansanelli right now - there's a big gaping hole in the company where Sofiane Sylve used to be. (But this is just a wish, no speculation.)

ooPS: only now I see this is page2 of a thread I hadn't noticed before. Sorry, Cathy, for not responding before.

I thought Nathalie Caris's farewell performance (Sym in C 2nd mvt plus the Tristan & Isolde piece) was quite emotional; perhaps it's just that the Eagling / Wagner piece is, in itself, not a terribly emotive piece. However Caris had had such a terrific last lap the past year facing the end. It was heartbreaking to realize this was it.

#18 Mireille

Mireille

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:38 AM

Thank you Herman for correcting me. I checked my program and the Schumann pieces was performed that evening by Cédric Ygnace. In their repertory, to they perform the part with the difficult arabesque on plié and relevé that Dowell does?

#19 Herman Stevens

Herman Stevens

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:22 AM

The good news for you, Mireille, is that one of the Dutch National's best male dancers, Gael Lambiotte (for whom the Van Manen Schumann Pieces were revived), has joined the Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal.

Some Americans may be familiar with Lambiotte as the prince in the Dutch Sleeping Beauty DVD.

Apparently the good news for the Dutch would be that Sofiane Sylve intends to do quite a bunch of guest appearances in Amsterdam this year.

#20 Mireille

Mireille

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:46 AM

I hope that he will be performing in Kader Belarbi's La bête et la belle in October with the Grands. I will keep you posted on the performance.

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,988 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

Apparently the good news for the Dutch would be that Sofiane Sylve intends to do quite a bunch of guest appearances in Amsterdam this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the little piece they did on Sylve in the Sleeping Beauty DVD extras, she said that Amsterdam felt like home. It's great thing for audiences in Amsterdam that she feels that way!

#22 Cathy

Cathy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

Oh my gosh the E-mail notification must not be working, all this talk going on here (finally! :beg: ) and I didn't even know about it!

Anyway, Ed: sorry I didn't respond, I didn't read the thread.
But I hope Helene's post got you interested?
The fourth choreography will be Balanchine's Square Dance, which I think they haven't done before.
Mireille: Thank you for telling us about the Montreal performance!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually she's not just doing guest appearences, she's officially a DNB principal again!
According to the DNB website:

Sofiane Sylve has been a member of the celebrated New York City Ballet for the last two years. However from the start of the 2005 | 2006 Season the Dutch National Ballet will be sharing her with this American company.

I wonder how that's gonna work out, as far as I know it's a first in Ballet history. :D

In the little piece they did on Sylve in the Sleeping Beauty DVD extras, she said that Amsterdam felt like home. It's great thing for audiences in Amsterdam that she feels that way!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is! :)
(She's been here since she was only 16, so it does make sense...)

#23 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

"...However from the start of the 2005 | 2006 Season the Dutch National Ballet will be sharing her with this American company.
I wonder how that's gonna work out, as far as I know it's a first in Ballet history... "

...not to worry, Nina Ananiashvili was effectively Prima Ballerina of both the Bolshoi and ABT for years, so it can be done! So, please don't keep La Sylve at DNB, let's share, she's desparately needed at NYCB too! She's brought the Grande Ballerina style back to NYCB. I'd opine that she's America's Prima right now (although if Diana Vishneva's statement that she'll return to ABT May-July pans out, and if Ashley Bouder continues to grow, it may be as part of a Triumverate).

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,988 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

HNB performs September-November -- they're currently touring the Netherlands with an all-Balanchine program -- before the NYCB season starts and during the March/April break, as well as overlapping part of the NYCB. Sylve can be one busy dancer if she chooses to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):