This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet DVD wish listIs there hope for any of these?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

Didn't ABT broadcast a "Sleeping Beauty" with Cynthia Gregory circa 1979 on PBS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they did. Bujones was Florimund .

Richard

#32 mohnurka

mohnurka

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

I've seen all those snippets and full performances that Hans and FauxPas are mentioning... I wonder where the actual whole performances that the snippets are taken from exist. In archives? Can the public gain access?

#33 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:48 PM

Call me cynical, but I'm wondering if overall excellent performances are being snipped apart, so the snippets can be used in "Glory of . . . ", "Magic of . . .", etc., videos, diluted with less interesting things that would not otherwise sell.

Another explanation may be that they were the best moments of whole performances.

But yes, it would be great to have whole performances available. Excerpts don't have the impact that whole ballets do, no matter how well danced.

#34 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:52 AM

Another thing: the Museum of Television and Radio in NYC has a bunch of Bell Telephone Hour and other programs where the New York City Ballet did guest spots in the 1950's and 1960's. Patricia McBride, Jacques D'Amboise and Edward Villella were on a slew of them. There is a complete "Nutcracker" from Playhouse 90 from 1958 with Diana Adams as the Sugarplum and Allegra Kent as the Dewdrop. I also remember watching a "Square Dance" with a very young Farrell and I think Patricia Wilde at the MTR. The ballets aren't complete but it would be nice to see them strung together in a compilation as they did for the opera singers on the Bell Telephone Hour. There also seems to exist a 6 minute clip of Tanaquil LeClerc dancing "La Valse" in 1951 with Nicholas Magallanes directed by one Carol Lynn. That would be nice to see complete in a compilation. There is also Balanchine excerpts from Canadian TV from which only the Maria Tallchief material has been released.

http://mtr.inet7.com...se/11182003.htm

Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev danced the Black Swan PDD in the original Petipa choreography and music (with 32 fouettes from Dame Margot) on an episode of the TV program "The Hollywood Palace" hosted by Fred Astaire. There also seems to be a complete "Nutcracker" from a 1958 TV telecast with Fonteyn and Michael Somes that might originate from the BBC. As far back as 1937 Margot Fonteyn did a "Swan Lake" telecast that was 40 minutes long (Second Act complete?) with Robert Helpmann as Siegfried. That would be fascinating to see.

I remember watching a video of the Copenhagen Ballet doing "Napoli" on Homevision VHS released in 1986 with Linda Hidberg and Arne Villumsen - that would be nice to have on DVD.

#35 MinkusPugni

MinkusPugni

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

I thought Balanchine's estate wouldn't allow the filming of his ballets. Is this the same with Cranko? Because I would really like to see Cranko's Onegin on DVD.

#36 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

I'd adding my list of ballets I hope will find their way onto DVD someday.

*Bournonville’s La Ventana and A Folk Tale
*ABT’s Swan Lake with Gomes/Part
*Bolshoi Ballet’s Cinderella
*Pennsylvania Ballet’s Swan Lake
*RB’s Sylvia with Bolle/Bussell
*RB’s Cinderella with Kobborg/Cojocaru
*Rodeo
*Pillar of Fire
*Theme & Variations with Baryshnikov/Kirkland (Was their Giselle ever tapped?)
*La Sonnambula

#37 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

An incomplete list:

Peter Schaufuss' Dancer series
Natalia Makarova's Ballerina series
Any and all Balanchine from the Dance in America and Live from Lincoln Center vaults
Ashton performed by the Royal Ballet, especially A Month in the Country with Lynn Seymour and Anthony Dowell
Tudor performed by ABT
Ballets Russes repertoire performed by the Joffrey Ballet, especially The Search for Nijinsky's Rite of Spring
Hollywood's The Gay Parisian (Gaîté Parisienne)
Cranko performed by the Stuttgart Ballet
London Festival Ballet's La Sylphide (Bournonville; w/Eva Evdokimova, Peter Schaufuss, Niels Bjorn Larsen)
Paris Dances Diaghilev (Petrushka, Le Spectre de la rose, L'Après-midi d'un faune, Les Noces)
National Ballet of Canada's Onegin (Cranko; w/Sabina Allemann, Frank Augustyn, Jeremy Ransom, Cynthia Lucas)
Ballet National de Marseille's Les intermittences du coeur (Petit; w/Dominique Khalfouni, Denys Ganio, Jean-Charles Gil, Patrick Dupond, Maya Plisetskaya)
Ballet National de Marseille's Coppélia (Petit; w/Altynai Asylmuratova, Cyril Pierre, Roland Petit)
Paris Opera Ballet's Cinderella (Nureyev; w/Sylvie Guillem, Charles Jude, Rudolf Nureyev)
Royal Winnipeg Ballet's Romeo & Juliet (Dantzig; w/Evelyn Hart, David Peregrine)
National Ballet of Canada's Alice (Tetley; w/Kimberly Glasco, Karen Kain, Rex Harrington, Peter Ottmann)
Nederlands Dans Theater's Symphony of Psalms and Cathédrale engloutie (Kylián)

A really good Swan Lake. I have more recordings of Swan Lake on my shelf than any other ballet, none of them entirely satisfactory.

#38 Azulynn

Azulynn

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:09 AM

Sorry Volcanohunter, but there seems to be no hope for a POB Cinderella DVD with Guillem/Jude, although it used to be available on VHS. The POB will be recording a new cast in April for future DVD release, including Aurélie Dupont (Cinderella), Hervé Moreau (Prince), Laëtitia Pujol & Stéphanie Romberg (The Two Sisters), José Martinez (The Mother), Wilfried Romoli, etc.

#39 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the info, Azulynn. Now I know to not get rid of my VHS of the Guillem/Jude Cinderella. I wonder why nearly all the POB's releases star Dupont.

#40 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

It would be a great pity to keep the Guillem/Jude Cinderella and Maurin/Hilaire Nutcracker unreleased because the POB is planning new telecasts of them. I realize that Dupont's face is more beautiful than Guillem's, but Guillem has the more fabulous physique and, I think, more glamour. The ballet was clearly designed for her particular talents. Since there's so little film of her available on the market, I am still hoping that this telecast will be re-issued someday. The film also captures the fabulous nastiness of Isabelle Guérin's stepsister.

Does anyone know who owns the rights to NVC Arts programs? Kultur has been releasing them steadily, and I wonder whether the POB would be in a position to prevent the release of these two telecasts.

#41 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Lots and lots of wishes, but among the top of my list are the recent Royal Ballet telecasts: Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, Sylvia, Cinderella. All were telecast within the past few years, all beautifully filmed and cast.

#42 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Yes, the absence of a Royal Ballet Giselle on the market is pretty glaring, and it's beyond me why Sylvia hasn't been released.

#43 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

Yes, Volcanohunter, I have both the Shaufuss and Makarova series, they are very good.

In my opinion mass scenes do not work well on TV, on example here being the new Swedish Swan Lake, it was far too dark and I found it useless on a screen. But I have not seen it live, so I refrain from judgement.

As I have now gone through all my ballet videos and transferred them to DVD, I was surprised to note one thing. I owned very few commercially made videos, just some Highlights of this and Glories of that. So the rest of my ballet library was taped from the national Swedish networks. Looking at the dates, very few were later than about 1995. Before that, masses of stuff, Shaufuss, Makarova, Ustinov and Fonteyn series, in addition some rather intellectual and genuine stuff about flamenco. That glorious program "Backstage at the Kirov" was broadcast at prime time, 20 hours a Saturday night! The mind boggles... I also have several other Soviet tapes about the Vaganova, Perm Ballet School and the Bolshoi and what have you. Note that I used the word "Soviet" which means all videos were pre 1991.

Now I am sad to say that Swedish TV has become all fun and games and silly contests - the times they are achanging. It is very rarely one sees any ballet these days. It seems it is the trend all over. :blush: :clapping:

#44 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

In my opinion mass scenes do not work well on TV, on example here being the new Swedish Swan Lake, it was far too dark and I found it useless on a screen.

It's unfortunate that DVD is so dark. The Dutch National Ballet's Sleeping Beauty is also dark and grainy. This needn't be the case. Lighting can be adjusted for television cameras, and you'll notice that the Royal Ballet's Swan Lake from the early 1980s is perfectly visible throughout.

#45 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:03 AM

It would be a great pity to keep the Guillem/Jude Cinderella and Maurin/Hilaire Nutcracker unreleased

Keep your eye on EBay and Amazon for these. After months of diligence I acquired The Nutcracker and I love it. A fantastic young Maurin (she was made Etoile on the set of this taping) and an equally amazing Hilaire.

Good luck.

B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):