This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet DVD wish listIs there hope for any of these?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

you might wanna check this amazing website that has been recently releasing stuff that we havent seen for years...

www.arthaus-musik.de

There is a link for english on there so don't have a cow.
~Ian~

#17 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

Les Sylphides: Nagy, d'Antuono
Don Q: Makarova, Bujones
T&V: Kirkland Baryshnikov
Firebird: Gregory, Meehan(the Australian guy?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, Richard! Yes, John Meehan is currently head honcho of ABT Studio Company, where he is doing a terrific job turning students into very promising pros. He also has served as moderator of the ABT Works & Process evenings at the Guggenheim Museum where, equipped wtih an abundance of Irish-Aussie charm, he does another fine job.

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:00 PM

you might wanna check this amazing website that has been recently releasing stuff that we havent seen for years...

www.arthaus-musik.de

There is a link for english on there so don't have a cow.
~Ian~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't have a cow? I haven't heard that phrase in years!

It's a nice site -- many thanks for the link. They've got that old Dance Theater of Harlem program with Lester Horton's Beloved. Such a spooky dance.

#19 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:19 AM

I'd also love to have Balanchine's Coppelia released on dvd. Patty McBride is beyond adorable as Swanilda.
I saw once on one of the documentaries a tantalyzingly brief excerpt of a Giselle with Asylmuratova and Ruzimatov. Oh how I wish that would be released in its entirety!
"Dancing for Mr. B" is also pretty priceless, especially the rare footage of Allegra Kent in Symphony in C.
And of course, it goes without saying that the MND film with Farrell, Mitchell, Amboise, Paul, McBride, and Kent NEEDS to be commercially released.

#20 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:30 AM

richard53dog

It would have had to have been on TV.  Thank you so much for posting the info.  I vaguely remember Gregory in The River.  I can't believe that I didn't remember either of the more traditionally classical pieces, or Nagy, whom I had loved as Albrecht and Prince Siegfried in live performances in 1971.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Helene, yes it was shown on NET which is basically (one of) our PBS stations in the NYC area. So it was probably carried on others.

The program is in fact in the archives, my memory wasn't too bad(!) at least for what I listed. But there was also an excerpt from Les Sylphides and a scene from Rodeo.

Richard

#21 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:52 PM

My plaintive refrain - the Wivel film of Giselle.

#22 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

Oh, I thought of something else. Around 1980 there was a telecast (from London of course) on one of the indy NYC TV stations of a Royal Ballet production of Sleeping Beauty with Merle PArk and David Wall.

I actually did video tape this and had a copy for a while, all I have left is the second half of Act 3, in terrible condition.

So I'd love a commercial release of this.

Richard

#23 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:27 AM

i suspect the ABT film, once shown on public television, under discussion is the following:

American Ballet Theatre: A close-up in time / WNET/13-TV ; directed by Jerome Schnur ; produced by Jac Venza.
New York, N.Y. : WNET-TV, 1973. (90 min.)
Telecast on October 8, 1973 by WNET/13-TV, New York.
Associate producer, Ken Campbell.
Members of American Ballet Theatre are seen in rehearsal, in class, backstage, and in performance. Includes commentary by Agnes de Mille, Antony Tudor, Lucia Chase, and others.
Les sylphides (excerpts) / choreography, Mikhail Fokin ; music, Frédéric Chopin ; scenery, Alexandre Benois ; danced by Karena Brock, Ellen Everett, Christine Sarry, John Prinz and corps de ballet.
Rodeo: Scene one / choreography, Agnes de Mille ; music, Aaron Copland ; sets, Oliver Smith ; costumes, Kermit Love ; danced by Christine Sarry, Terry Orr, Marcos Paredes, and company.
Pillar of fire (complete ballet) / choreography, Antony Tudor ; music, Arnold Schönberg ; scenery and costumes, Jo Mielziner ; cast, Sallie Wilson (Hagar), Ellen Everett (Youngest sister), Bonnie Mathis (Oldest sister), Marcos Paredes (Young man from the house opposite), Gayle Young (Friend), and company.
Swan lake: Black swan pas de deux / choreography, David Blair ; music, Peter Tchaikovsky ; sets, Oliver Smith ; costumes, Freddy Wittop ; Performed by Cynthia Gregory and Ted Kivitt.
The river: Lake / choreography, Alvin Ailey ; music, Duke Ellington ; costumes, Frank Thompson ; danced by Cynthia Gregory, Marcos Paredes, and company.
Etudes: Tarantella / choreography, Harald Lander ; music, Knudage Riisager ; sets and costumes, Rolf Gerard ; danced by Eleanor D'Antuono, Ted Kivitt, Ivan Nagy, and company.

#24 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

"Mayerling" with Rojo and Cope.

Giannina

#25 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:17 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could we make that two copies, please??? :(

#26 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:13 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the last couple Mayerling runs in London, my friends and I would joke/wish that a dvd package of all three casts (Rojo-Cope, Cojocaru-Kobborg, Galeazzi-Tewlsey) should be released! Not only that, if you didn't, say, care for the Bratfish in the C&K version, you'd be able to automatically splice the footage and pick your cast. ;) And if studios can release huge dvd packs with hours of behind-the-scenes footage, ballet dvds should come with rehearsals, masterclasses, interviews, production info. Not to mention available footage of first casts and documentaries. And running commentaries too! A big expensive dream I'm sure! But I do feel a bit short-changed when, given the extortionate prices charged, all we get are simple transfers from video as most ballet dvds seem to be.

#27 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:35 AM

That film "ABT: a close-up in time" is available on VHS at the NY Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center. Here is the info from the NYPL online card catalog:

American Ballet Theatre a close-up in time /

New York, N.Y. : Arthur Cantor Films, 1973.
Call #: VC 793.3 A
Subjects American Ballet Theatre -- Video recordings.

Ballet companies -- United States -- Video recordings.

Ballet -- Video recordings.

Ballets -- Excerpts -- Video recordings

Format: [videorecording] :

Responsibility: produced by Jac Venza ; produced in association with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and the British Broadcasting Corporation ; directed by Jerome Schnur.

Language: English

Description: 1 videocassette (90 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.

Other Title: Close-up in time

Notes: VHS.

Summary: A documentary on the American Ballet Theatre, including excerpts of performances from the company's repertoire.

Performers: American Ballet Theatre ; Akira Endo, conductor ; unidentified narrator.

Additional Authors: Schnur, Jerome.
Endo, Akira.
American Ballet Theatre.

Dynix #: 1697602

Holdings: Reservable Copies: 3 Number of Holds: 0

There were three copies but two seem to be lost...

Didn't ABT broadcast a "Sleeping Beauty" with Cynthia Gregory circa 1979 on PBS?

#28 mohnurka

mohnurka

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

And what about all the ballets that are in the Russian Vaults -- you see bits of old film on those wonderful Glory/History/Magic of tapes, but where are the full versions?
Hope the DVD makers are reading this!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm right there with you! Some old videos are unlikely to exist of the whole performance, but what about those snippets that seem to have decent quality? Such as the Nutcracker with Lezhnina and Zelensky. Was there an entire performance? Where is it?? Also, the snippet from Giselle with Asylmuratova and Ruzimatov? Where? I could find so performances that I'd like to see entirely... Oh well if the quality isn't too good... :D Sorry, I got a little excited there... :beg:

#29 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

I know there is a full Nutcracker available with Lezhnina and Baranov...I would just about kill to see one with her and Zelensky as well as the Giselle you mention (although it's difficult to imagine Ruzimatov as Albrecht).

#30 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:35 AM

Kultur Video has a bunch of "Glory of the Bolshoi" and "Magic of the Bolshoi" tapes that seem to have snippets of Vasiliev and Maximova in complete performances of "Sleeping Beauty" and "Don Quixote" and I think "Giselle" that were shown on Soviet TV in the late 1970's. It would be fascinating to see the complete tapes of these Bolshoi telecasts. The picture quality seems only fair though but if the orginal master could be found and a digital transfer made to DVD, then the quality could be greatly improved. I believe Gostelradio is the source of this material. The only generally available video of Maximova and Vasiliev is of course "The Nutcracker" in the Grigorovich production.

Also I have seen snippets of what seems to be a complete Kirov "Sleeping Beauty" with Irina Kolpakova and Yuri Soloviev from 1975 or 1976. Soloviev is looking rather thickened in the snippet I saw from Aurora's second act vision scene. It would be nice to have a memento of Kolpakova's Aurora that is closer to her prime than the 1983 performance with Berezhnoi as her Prince.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):