21 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:17 PM

And what was in Shirley MacLaine's looks that was not convincing? Is there really something special that an ex-ballerina and now a mother of three teenage kids should convey in her looks? I totaly bought MacLaine's portrayal, never doubting that she might be a "real" person but I am not a dancer so I wouldn't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MacLaine's Deedee did strike me as a very real person, but she lacked the carriage and body awareness that I've seen in every ballet teacher, regardless of age, weight, or number of children. Her character was supposed to be the co-director of a ballet school, who had once been enough of a singular talent in the equivalent of ABT to have a rising young choreographer choose her -- over Bancroft's Emma -- for a starring role in his first major ballet.

#17 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:10 AM

According to IMDB.com, Bancroft was born in 1931 -- which conflicts with her age listed in the NYT (73)

Well, not really: she is listed as being born on Sept 17, 1931, so she would have turned 74 on Sept 17, 2005, and so she still was 73.
(Sorry, that's the math teacher in me talking ;) )

#18 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:10 AM

Rest in peace--Anna Maria Italiano

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

According to IMDB.com, Bancroft was born in 1931 -- which conflicts with her age listed in the NYT (73)

Well, not really: she is listed as being born on Sept 17, 1931, so she would have turned 74 on Sept 17, 2005, and so she still was 73.
(Sorry, that's the math teacher in me talking ;) )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yikes -- I'm already in the next fiscal year at work and subtracted from 2006 :smilie_mondieu:

#20 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

I agree. Bancroft's Emma walked and carried herself offstage as if she were already 'in' taking the first steps in a slow pdd. MacLaine's Deedee walked as if she were going to the kitchen :flowers:. I think the one scene that reveals this most clearly is where they entered the bar, (in turn) and had their discussion before the
the 'altercation.'

#21 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:30 PM

actually i think the brawl was at kennedy center?

i loved the whole conversation about "newts and hoptoads". She was so subtle.

#22 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:36 PM

Hi Mme. Hermine,

You're right - it's KC :flowers: ! I'll have to rent the DVD again. It certainly wasn't the "Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves" (in Kill Bill Vol. 1), but the drama
of the action was worthy of the Met's plaza :D :D !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):