This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT and Spartacus

ABT and Spartacus I don't think should ever happen unless Kevin McKenzie decides to do his own version. While many of the leading male dancers in the company are amazing, IMO I don't see any of them as a Grigorovich Spartacus. Desmond Richardson however or Carlos Acosta may bring an interesting take on the role that I wouldn't mind seeing, but I do not see any other leading men in the company that could be as powerful as Mukhamedov or Vasiliev.

Great topic, fandeballet. I'm surprised to admit that I, too, would like to see Spartacus again. For some reasons, things I usually detest in ballet work for me in this one: steamroller melodrama, broad strokes of good versus evil (noble Spartacus v. nasty Crassus; virtuous Phrygia v. worldly siren-bitch Aegina). The sometimes overbearing Katchaturian score is redeemed by a lustrous and unforgettable adagio for the big pas de deux. I saw part of the Grigorovich production as a one-act during the Bolshoi's visit in the mid-80s, and later had a chance to see Vasiliev and the later Mukhamedov performances several times on video. Each experience was a real stunner.

It seems that the preferred body type for Russian male dancers has been bulky in the upper torso, with huge quads and calves. Lots of strength for lifts -- lots of ballon for springing into jumps (but also lots of visible preparation). Is this what is missing in the ABT male dancers (and possibly -- by extension -- in contemporary western male dancers generally)? Or is it a matter of training? Temperament? What?

I think it also has to do with nature and nurture. With the rough life we hear about in Russia and Eastern Europe I think that helps shape the type of temperment we like to see in the tragic heroes such as Spartacus or Ivan the Terrible. With the rough life comes the rustic body that I think we need to see in these bravura roles. I really do not see Malakhov, although he is an amazing classical dancer, as the man that would free the slaves. And even though Correno could possibly do all the steps as pure and classical as they could be, his schooling was meant for Don Q or Giselle. I could be wrong since I have never seen him in a role created by Grigorovich, but I do not see any of the leading men as the calibre of dancer such as Mukhamedov or Vasiliev.

(It is amazing how their legacies are still looked on as being the top of the game even today.)

Bolshoi is going to be at The Met from July18-30. And they will be perfoming Sparatcus the first weekend they are there.

Correction...

After seeing Marcelo Gomes as Rothbart last night on Swan Lake, I feel he could be a great Crassus or Spartacus. Just need to find him a viable counterpart. I had only seen Gomes as the slave in Corsaire and never saw him in such a role of raw power. This was really a treat to see.

So I stand corrected.

~Ian~

www.ianpoulis.com

After seeing Marcelo Gomes as Rothbart last night on Swan Lake, I feel he could be a great Crassus or Spartacus. Just need to find him a viable counterpart. I had only seen Gomes as the slave in Corsaire and never saw him in such a role of raw power. This was really a treat to see.

I agree -- and can't think of any other ABT male principals who would fit the role. There's something about the command of the stage, the projection of physical heft (along with grace), and the ability to convey feeling with face as well as movement.

Anyone else have suggestions for guest artists or company members to perform Spartacus or Crassus, Phrygia or Aegina, should the ABT take up fandeballet's suggestion?

Edited by bart

These are people who aren't dancing now, but I once had a fantasy of Dance Theatre of Harlem doing "Spartacus" when Eddie J. Shellman was their star. There were several other people in the company then who would have been interesting, and they had both the bodies and the heart for it.

Ooh, yes, Alexandra .. & Lowell Smith would have been Crassus!

For ABT: I can see Gomes & Acosta alternating the roles of Spartacus & Crassus. Nina A & Murphy as P & A.

Then the tiny cast: Herman Spartacus, Lopez Crassus, Sarah Lane Phrygia & Reyes Aegina.

the HEART for it--

That would be the hardet thing to find. DTH is the company who could do it, it's about freeing the slaves, and those are issues that DTH has very close to their hearts.

that ballet is ABOUT something, and ABT would just do the steps......

maybe not, but I remember when ABT did "Fall River Legend," they looked like they were embarrassed. Oakland Ballet completely outshone them in that ballet, because they could put their hearts into noir family melodrama.

I totally agree with what was said about Gomes after his Swan Lake showing. I could see him stepping right into the Spartacus role tomorrow. That's the first time I've seen him and he blew me away. His lines were so long and beautiful and he had total command of the stage. Somehow Corella seems a little boyish for the role. Not that he couldn't do it, just not my first choice to fit the character.