5 replies to this topic

#1 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:58 PM

I can't believe I'm going to say this but.......I loved "Red Giselle"! Can you believe it? This conservative, Catholic, classical, old fashioned grandmother loved "Red Giselle". I can hardly find words. It was classical, modern, sexy, brutal, happy, tragic, and wonderful. There were times when I was grinding my teeth and squirming in my seat because it was so beautiful; gritty stuff. It is being performed tomorrow and I'm sorely tempted to see it again, but the cast tonight was so perfect that I don't want to take the chance of spoiling the effect:

Ballerina: Vera Arbuzova
Teacher: Oleg Markov
Secret Police Agent: Albert Galichanin
Partner: Alexei Turko

I know "Red Giselle" has been reviewed before and I'm now going to go back and read those reviews (which were mixed, as I recall). But I stand by my guns, and I had one terrific time tonight.

Jeez!

Giannina

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:44 PM

This was a very funny post, Giannina!

Good for you! Enjoying something is always better than not (how's that for a profound insight?), especially when -- as you hint here -- you don't expect to!

#3 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:39 AM

This moderate, both ballet and modern enthusiast, theater lover, empyt nester with no grand children found Wednesday evenings performance of "Don Juan and Moliere" excruciating. I left at intermission I was so upset. I can count the times I have done that on one hand :)
Although the dancers were lovely and the sets/costumes well done, it could not make up for the emptiness of content and movement vocabulary that seemed robbed from here and there.........
(and this man was commisioned by NYCB?????)

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:41 AM

What fascinates me most about Eifman is now different people's views are of him. He really is one that you either LOVE or you HATE. I think only Bejart has been so polarizing.

I haven't seen "Red Giselle" so I'd love to read you two on it -- they will be very different summaries, I'm sure!

#5 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:52 AM

socalgal, I pretty much agree with you about "Don Juan and Moliere". The thought of leaving crossed my mind but I was visiting with my subscriber seatmates and that was enjoyable enough to make me stay for the entire ballet. I've now seen 4 Eifman ballets and "Don Juan...." was by far the least enjoyable.

Giannina

#6 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

Very interesting posts! All I've seen of Eifman is Who's Who - which was mediocre and Musegate - ugh! But Red Giselle sounds fascinating, and I don't know enough about Spessivtzeva to be appalled like I was with Musegate. I hope they bring it back to NY, I missed it the first time it came through

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):