This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

La Ventana/Kermesse

I found the Kermesse very well danced and acted on most parts. Kristoffer Sakurai's style is very clean and clear. Susanne Grinder is a wonderful Eleonora, with fine technique and full of life. She is really one of my favourite ballerinas, with a future as principal in head of her. Thomas Lund saves the comedy side. But what about the scenery and costumes? I don't like this new "less-is-more" philosophy. The Brugges silhouette reminds me of a WW II bomded city with a few walls stilll standing. The costumes are mostly very simple. Which period is it supposed to be? Or is it just an absurd fantasy mix of styles? The Slovanka all red costumes look just out of place. Adrian is dressed like Don Johnson in Miami Vice. Overall the set looks very thin, making it difficult to put charm and warmth into it. I really hope Napoli and others will not undergo the same treatment in the future, but I fear that's the way we are heading.

La Ventana or "No Ventana" is mainly presented as a showpiece with flashy dancing, but seeing Seniorita Gitte Lindstrøm and others showing off their skills is pure joy.

Thanks for that, Jorgen. I think I'd agree. Apparently the costumes fr the Brenaa production were controversial (interesting that no one was saying that, at least out loud, in 1992; I can't speak for 1978 as I wasn't there) but they did look like a Flemish painting -- and I think the point Bournonville was setting a genre painting to life is a good one.

I forgot to ask -- Jorgen (or anyone), Tobi Tobias's review mentioned that Riggins had cut some "minor characters." Do you know what they were? I'm guessing it was little circus, with the boy ligthing a dumb bell and the rope dancer. Are there others? (I hope not the housekeeper. Marianne Rindholt in that tiny part was one of the few highlights of the 2000 Week, for me. Trully Old School Bournonville Mime in style.)

The changes of Riggins include new modern coreography for the circus troupe, not including a clown, the jester is gone. The lead slowanka dancers does his functions. There is one nobleman less in the fighting scene, the monks are gone from last scene and the black diva has lost her color. The housekeeper has been glorified as Vermers girl with the pearl earring

No monks? That was the final belly laugh in the Brenaa production. I remember thinking, what genius to save two such characters for the end. And -- just to be sure I understand -- "one nobleman less in the fighting scene." There were two noblemen, each after one of the daughters. Do you mean there's now one, who goes after both?

I hate to ask, but is the funeral procession still there? I think that was added by Brenaa to cover a scene change.