This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The 100 greatest movies of all time?TIME magazine's list

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

Hi, Ed. Long time no hear.

I get the impression that Corliss and Schickel were looking at genres and historical impact as well as aesthetic merit – hence the inclusion of things like “Blade Runner.” (Also at stars – without the presence of Garbo in Camille and Ninotchka, there is no justification whatever for including either picture in such a list. However, Bette Davis didn’t make the cut, although All About Eve would certainly have a place in this company.)

I haven’t cracked the numbers, but the list seems heavily weighted toward contemporary movies.

atm711, I must disagree, respectfully, about Tom Jones. I thought it was a mess, and a sad waste of a perfectly cast Albert Finney. I wouldn’t include “Barry Lyndon” on the list either, though.

I think I could make a case that Psycho is a poor picture. “Famous” doesn’t equal “good.”

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

Barry Lyndon is visually beautiful -- but much better viewed if you could tune out the dialogue and keep in the 18th century music.

Talking about visual beauty on film, the recent attention to Suzanne Farrell's revival of Don Quixote made met think of a Russian film that showed in NYC about that time and which may possibly have been a stylistic influence on the 1965 NYCB production. Grigory Kozintsev's 1957 version has much of the pace, pageantry and sentiment of Balanchine's version -- though there's less about the pursuit of Dulcinea and more about the callousness of the ruling class.

And how about the abortive Terry Gilliam Don Q? Lost in La Mancha ((2002), which chronicles the various problems and fiascos surrounding that production, is itself a wonderful film. And Jean Rochefort would have been transcendent as the Don.

Both films are listed for sale on various internet sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):