This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What is the best ballet book?

Guest Jeanie Powell

Guest Jeanie Powell

Hi! I have been looking for a ballet technique book and i just don't know what to look for. So if you know of a good book tell me please, or can you at least tell me what to look for, or what not to look for?

Thanks,

jeanie

Guest PencheAriBesque

Oh I'm so glad you asked this question! I have what I believe is the most versitile and informative technique book on the market. It doesn't just discuss either Balanchine, Vaganova, or Ceccetti. It goes step by step with pictures of every movement in classical ballet and explains what sensations to feel in the body, what is right, what is wrong, and who (which technique) does what variation. It's called Classical Ballet Technique and is available at Amazon.com. It is written by Gretchen Ward Warren and I feel it's totally worth the money, it's every thing you'll ever need to know about classical ballet and more.

Ciao, I hope I was helpful.

Ari

Definitely the best one I have ever seen is Classical Ballet Technique by Gretchen Ward Warren. It is pricey-usually about $40, but it is well worth the price. The book covers everything about ballet technique you could possibly want to know. Also, if it's Balanchine technique you want to see, Suki Schorer's book (I think it's called Balanchine Technique) is the best. The only thing is, it doesn't cover all of ballet, it just covers things that set Balanchine apart from Vaganova, RAD, etc. HTH

Guest RozeToze

Make that three...I got mine a few years ago for Christmas and LOVE IT! (Anyone else think those Vaganova pictures from studios are REALLY cool? I like to flip through and just look at them, lol)

Wonderful to read this - guess it pays to look around here! I was just about to ask about this particular book.

Looks like it will be very helpful for the uninitiated as well as for those who actually dance.

Thanks for the topic.

Guest DaNzMaNiAc123

I have this one book. I think it was published by the RAF association in england. It shows all the positions and general stances. MOstly of children working their way through the levels. I kknow i found it to be helpful.