This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

We went to see Billy Elliott and thought it very good. The young boy we saw is such a good dancer. All the cast go from tap to ballet to jazz with great ease. I especially liked the dance that he does with himself as an adult.

The music is by Elton John and it was not that memorable. One does not leave the theatre humming any tune.

An emotional story well danced and acted.

Carol

After scanning the positive reviews in recent weeks of Billy Elliott, the musical, I am hoping that it makes it way out to California someday so I can see it. For a second there, I was thinking, gee, I hope they make a movie of it so that I can see it...hmmm, a movie of a stage production of a movie :) .

After scanning the positive reviews in recent weeks of Billy Elliott, the musical, I am hoping that it makes it way out to California someday so I can see it.  For a second there, I was thinking, gee, I hope they make a movie of it so that I can see it...hmmm, a movie of a stage production of a movie  :clapping: .

Perhaps you can come over one day. It is such a hit I am sure it will be on for a long time. We saw it about 4 days after it opened. I like seeing plays with the orginal cast. Everyone was fresh. The audience loved it. The atmosphere was electric.

I hope to go again in about a year.

Carol

Thanks for starting this thread, carolm, and thanks, ami1436, for the link. It's nice to know that people seem to be enjoying the show. It is nice to have the opportunity to see the original cast early in the run.

hmmm, a movie of a stage production of a movie.

"The Producers" followed a similar trajectory -- a new film version of the musical is now in the works.

Thanks for starting this thread, carolm, and thanks, ami1436, for the link.  It's nice to know that people seem to be enjoying the show.  It is nice to have the opportunity to see the original cast early in the run.

I did not realise there was another thread on the same subject. We try and see a play when it first opens. A new production of "Guys and Dolls" is in preview this week. We shall try and see it after it officially opens==one of my favourite musicals.

Carol

If one was traveling to London this summer, how difficult would it be to get tickets to Billy Elliott?  Are they sold out for months or is it possible to find tickets at all?

Would love any information !

It got universal rave reviews and yet I went to the theatre right after and got two tickets for a Friday night performance. I believe there is a web site. It is playing at the Victoria Palace Theatre.

www.victoriapalacetheatre.co.uk

There are many London sites which will tell you about what is on.

We sat on an outside aisle seat which cost £40. I think the top price is £50. I would try to get seats in the centre. You might be able to order tickets on line.

If you are flexible I am sure you will get something but it is always better to try and book ahead.

Carol

It's fine to have another thread here -- not everyone looks at both boards. Would love to hear about the Guys and Dolls, carolm -- it's a favorite of mine, too!

We are off to NYC for a week (and seeing two NYC Ballet performances --wonderful!) so shall wait until we come home to book. We did contimplate going to a preview performance this week but too much to do and not enough time has thwarted us.

We are always wary when thereis a British revival of an American musical. Though, the last time Guys & Dolls was done here it was done by The National Theatre and it was a terrific performance.

Carol

If one was traveling to London this summer, how difficult would it be to get tickets to Billy Elliott?  Are they sold out for months or is it possible to find tickets at all?

Would love any information !

I just saw the web site for the musical: www.billyelliotthemusical.com

That might be where you book for it.

Hope that helps,

Carol

Thank you Carol~ We are planning a trip to London in August and was afraid of the summer tourist crowds causing difficulty in booking seats. Booking on line is a great idea! Now, to get our dates organized for travel :P We are attempting to gather the kids together for a short vacation to celebrate son's graduation from law school and DD will already be in Edinburgh dancing at the festival. Here's hoping it all works out! :thanks:

Thank you Carol~ We are planning a trip to London in August and was afraid of  the summer tourist crowds causing difficulty in booking seats. Booking on line is a great idea!  Now, to get our dates organized for travel  :P  We are attempting to gather the kids together for a short vacation to celebrate son's graduation from law school and DD will already be in Edinburgh dancing at the festival.  Here's hoping it all works out!    :thanks:

For some reason I missed the notice that you had replied. A wonderful reason to celebrate--having a son graduating from law school.

Who is "DD" and which group is she dancing with? We went to Edinburgh a few years ago when NYC Ballet were appearing. A wonderful atmospheric city.

Carol