This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet books!

Guest Dancer Chica

Guest Dancer Chica

Hi people! I was wondering...do you know of ballet everything books?. I have been in ballet 9 years and I have never looked for one. I need to find a book with everything from arabesques to releves! Anything would help! Thanks so much!

[This message has been edited by Dancer Chica (edited October 31, 1999).]

Guest Saut de Chat

Try "The Language of Ballet" by Thalia Mara. Tons of definitions of steps--also, explanations of different schools of ballet (ie, French school) and major persons in ballet history (such as Jules Perrot and Fokine). My copy was a gift, so I don't know where to get it, but try a major bookstore, like Barnes and Noble or ballet stores.

Gretchen Ward Warren's (first) book: the title won't come into my head at this hour of the morning, but it will come to me later and it's been mentioned in other threads - there simply is nothing better!

dear victoria,

it is much MORE expensive in australia! and gretchen, who has visited us in australia twice now, gets next to nothing from each book sale - and she was always concerned that the book was not more affordable, especially outside of the US.

the story behind the book is fascinating too - she submitted that manuscript to thirty publishers -rejected by every one- before finally getting a go-ahead. can you believe it? i can't recommend anything else now, for the purposes it covers. i expect this will be a ballet bible for many many years.

p.s. maybe (since your background is with ABT ?) you also know that she is a very nice woman.

Susan, I do indeed know that Gretchen is a very nice woman, and also a wonderful teacher! We met many years ago, and I consider her a friend, although we very rarely see each other since I left Florida over 6 years ago. Actually I was one of the 50 or so people who were privileged enough to see the book before it was published, when she asked me to look at it in the proofing stages. I was most honored, and really did not have much time with it, but I was certainly impressed! (See the Acknowledgements smile.gif )

Gretchen Wards book is indeed expensive. I decided to go for Lincoln Kirston's (probably spelling his name wrong here) book. Its very well done and the new paper back edition is affordable. The diagrams are detailed, and informative, but its definately not a pretty picture book. Vagonova's little 5-10 dollar book is nice too, but if your not studying Russian technique it can be a little mis-leading.

Soli

victoria: an honor indeed! i'm not surprised that your opinion was valued by her, having observed the way you manage this board. it must be very satisfying to have played a part in that book's creation.~susan