This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pharoahs Daughter - Which Parts are Petipa?

In an Interview with Lacotte on Ballet.co web page, he say that there are 3 variation that are Patipas choreography, taught to him by Lubov Egorova. One of them he said is the variation for Ramzea (he says Aspicia's slave). Does anyone know which ones they are?

In an Interview with Lacotte on Ballet.co web page, he say that there are 3 variation that are Patipas choreography, taught to him by Lubov Egorova. One of them he said is the variation for Ramzea (he says Aspicia's slave). Does anyone know which ones they are?

I believe that the two other Petipa variations are the River Nile & River Congo variations in the Underwater Scene. If I were home, I would check the Bolshoi "Pharaoh's Daughter" DVD, in which Pierre Lacotte mentions the exact variations that were salvaged for this production. [Maybe someone else with this DVD can check? It's in the "Extras" material - interview with Lacotte.]

if doug is around he could speak w/ good authority here. he was in touch w/ lacotte regarding this staging, including references to the notation of the petipa dances as they were recorded in turn-of-the-20th c. russia.

I reconstructed 5 of the 6 river variations for Lacotte for his Daughter of Pharaoh, but he didn't use any of them (in the versions I provided). He did use three (I think, maybe it was two with the first being longer - it's been a while now - I should buy the DVD and check!) variations in one of the court scenes. One is for two women and the other is for a man (Lacotte added a double tour at the end). The notations are very spare, with movements only for legs and feet plus groundplan and occasional rubrics in Russian. The choreography seemed much older to me than Petipa's choreography for Beauty or Raymonda. I really like the river variations - they are, on the whole, very interesting character variations, and I would love to see them performed sometime.

.......... I really like the river variations - they are, on the whole, very interesting character variations, and I would love to see them performed sometime.

Thanks so much for this information, Doug. Wouldn't a performance of the reconstructed River Variations be a fabulous project for, say, the ABT Studio Company, given ABT's classical bent? I'd travel to NYC in a heartbeat just to see this!

Incidentally, Doug, in the DVD, Lacotte appears to say that the Ramzea variation -- the one with the 'cutesy' quick-tapping of the toes -- is Petipa's. Now I'm wondering what Lacotte intended to say. Well, I'm glad that you've set all of us straight!

I didn't discuss with Lacotte the variations the he learned from Egorova, so in addition to those I provided it sounds like he added the ones he knew, too. Yes, the river variations would be a fun project. I only had access to the variations themselves and I am not sure what else surrounds them in the scene, but a nice suite possibly could be developed.

This is great- I didnt know someone who worked on this great production was here in our ballettalk! :flowers:

I was wondering, will the inerview with Lacotte be on the american DVD release? Is the release that Natalia speaks of the one that will be released here? I believe it has Zhakarova in the lead.