This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Favorite dance books #2

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 January 1999 - 08:32 AM

I think that Vilno is the same as Vilnius (in Yiddish, for example, Vilnius is called "Vilne" - "the Jerusalem of Lithuania"...)

I agree about "Les Noces". I've only seen it in the "Paris Dances Diaghilev" (with Elisabeth Platel, Kader Belarbi, Jean-Yves Lormeau and
Francoise Legree), and wish to see it on stage someday. The Ballet du Nord in Roubaix
(France) will dance it within a few weeks, in a Stravinsky program also including
Maryse Delente's (their director) version of "The Rite of Spring".
The Paris Opera Ballet also restaged Nijinska's "Les Biches" and
"Le Train Bleu" a few seasons ago. I haven't seen "Les Biches", unfortunately it was staged only
one season, but their "Train Bleu" (blue train) was filmed in a "Picasso and dance" program (Picasso had made the stage curtain). It's a much lighter
ballet than "Les Noces", pleasant to see (with a lovely Nicolas Le Riche as "le beau gosse" in the video), but not as great as "Les Noces".

#17 dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,333 posts

Posted 09 January 1999 - 01:45 AM

For those interested in Nijinskiana, Joan Acocella has written an interesting article on Nijinsky's career and diary in the current issue of The New York Review of Books. I would also recommend Lincoln Kirstein's book Nijinsky Dancing, not easy to find but well worth a search. I don't think there is any other dancer whose quality comes across so forcefully from photographs.

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 January 1999 - 08:38 AM

Regarding Vilno/Wilno - that's the Polish version of Vilnius. The Russian is Vilna. Remember, the Nijinsky family was Polish.

#19 Katharyn

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 1999 - 07:09 AM

did anyone else read the Drina series by Jean Estoril? Its a fictional account of a young girl (Audrina Adamo, better known as Drina Adams) making her way through as a student and then as a professional. It's all highly unlikely but I think its a sweet series anyway and I used to read it constantly when I was younger...
Just thought it deserved a mention since its written with love for dance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):