This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Favorite dance books #2

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 January 1999 - 08:32 AM

I think that Vilno is the same as Vilnius (in Yiddish, for example, Vilnius is called "Vilne" - "the Jerusalem of Lithuania"...)

I agree about "Les Noces". I've only seen it in the "Paris Dances Diaghilev" (with Elisabeth Platel, Kader Belarbi, Jean-Yves Lormeau and
Francoise Legree), and wish to see it on stage someday. The Ballet du Nord in Roubaix
(France) will dance it within a few weeks, in a Stravinsky program also including
Maryse Delente's (their director) version of "The Rite of Spring".
The Paris Opera Ballet also restaged Nijinska's "Les Biches" and
"Le Train Bleu" a few seasons ago. I haven't seen "Les Biches", unfortunately it was staged only
one season, but their "Train Bleu" (blue train) was filmed in a "Picasso and dance" program (Picasso had made the stage curtain). It's a much lighter
ballet than "Les Noces", pleasant to see (with a lovely Nicolas Le Riche as "le beau gosse" in the video), but not as great as "Les Noces".

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,491 posts

Posted 09 January 1999 - 01:45 AM

For those interested in Nijinskiana, Joan Acocella has written an interesting article on Nijinsky's career and diary in the current issue of The New York Review of Books. I would also recommend Lincoln Kirstein's book Nijinsky Dancing, not easy to find but well worth a search. I don't think there is any other dancer whose quality comes across so forcefully from photographs.

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 January 1999 - 08:38 AM

Regarding Vilno/Wilno - that's the Polish version of Vilnius. The Russian is Vilna. Remember, the Nijinsky family was Polish.

#19 Katharyn

Katharyn

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 1999 - 07:09 AM

did anyone else read the Drina series by Jean Estoril? Its a fictional account of a young girl (Audrina Adamo, better known as Drina Adams) making her way through as a student and then as a professional. It's all highly unlikely but I think its a sweet series anyway and I used to read it constantly when I was younger...
Just thought it deserved a mention since its written with love for dance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):