• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Anthony_NYC

Anthony_NYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:14 AM

I guess what I'm asking: is this a NYC regionalism (is it American BALlet Theater or American BalLET Theater?) or an NYCB affectation, or something else entirely?  What is common elsewhere in America, not to mention current and former members of the British Empire?

I think it's a NYC regionalism. When I lived for a while in the Midwest and the West Coast, the word was always pronounced with the stress on the second syllable. I remember a couple years ago a friend visiting from Milwaukee made fun of the "snooty" pronunciation we use here. (It's not just in the name of NYCB or ABT, we use it for the word in general.)

#17 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:30 AM

Hey, Mel...Yes, I would agree that there is more emphasis on the "cis" than the "San" in San Francisco if we get into Henry Higgins detail! What we native San Franciscans REALLY hate is FRISco Ballet. :)

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:52 AM

That makes another trochaic trimeter.

But we're getting farther and farther into the realm of phonetics, and Henry Higgins is never around when you need him. I think if you look at the way you say San Francisco, the first stress is less than the second, which is a strong emphasis. That's why I made the distinction "primary hard stress". As in "San'-fran-cis"-co". The only time I've heard the San get the same emphasis as the cis, Jeannette MacDonald was singing it:

SAN-FRAN-CIS-co, open your Golden Gate,
You make no stranger wait....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, without Henry Higgins, I can certainly make do with Jeannette MacDonald!

I've always put the accent on the first syllable of ballet, for no good reason at all except that an accent on the second syllable has always sounded stuck-up to me. I'm not sure if this is a regional accent thing (born and raised in Seattle, but with midwestern parents)

#19 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:56 AM

If we've sorted out ballet (BALlet to me), what about balletomane? Accent on the first syllable, or the last, or maybe even the second?

#20 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

I've always pronounced it ba-LET-o-mane, emphasis on the second syllable (and the "t" pronounced).

#21 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

I've always pronounced it ba-LET-o-mane, emphasis on the second syllable (and the "t" pronounced).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's how I mostly hear it - but before I'd ever heard it pronounced I always read it as BALetomane (with the t pronounced, as you say) - and my dictionary says balletoMANE, to go with balletoMANia, I suppose

#22 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

strange, i usually say it as american ballet THEAtre.

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

I've always thought of "Ballet Alert" as "BAL let a LERT" and "Ballet Talk" as "BAL let talk."

#24 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

strange, i usually say it as american ballet THEAtre.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean American Bal-LAY Thee-AY-tur at the Metro-POL-i-tan Opry House?

#25 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

I've always thought of "Ballet Alert" as "BAL let a LERT" and "Ballet Talk" as "BAL let talk."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moi, I've always said "Bal LET a LERT" (iambic) and BAL let TALK" (big stress on TALK).

#26 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

I would just like to point out -- proudly -- that there is no question too trivial or mundane for our latest forum! :dunno:

#27 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:39 PM

In telling others about this site I say Bal-LAY' a-LERT' and Bal-LAY' Talk (no emphasis on the "talk").

American Bal-LAY Thee-AY-tur......hmmmm, FF.......wouldn't the first word be pronounced more like "AmUrican"? :dunno:

#28 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

So, it looks like all of us are here because we love it, but some of us (and I'm not pointing any fingers here), some of us don't know how to pronounce it. :rolleyes:

#29 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

I do have something against the Texan pronunciation of "American" la Lyndon Johnson. I remember hearing, quite a long time ago, somebody call it "Merkin BalLET Theayter" and could only think that the company really must have gone in for very detailed costuming, in depth! :angry2:

#30 Mrs. Stahlbaum

Mrs. Stahlbaum

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:39 AM

Oh my gosh, this is all too confusing. I think I'll play it safe and stick with ABT (hmm, emphasis probably on the T).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):