This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Question: The Prince of the Pagodas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Solor

Solor

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:43 AM

I have never seen this ballet by McMillan, I was thinking of buying it off of Amazon.com (through ballettalk of course!) but figured I'd ask questions about it first.

Is this a ballet in the classical 19th century sense with classical grand pas, variations, ballet blanc, big ensembles etc., (in the tradition of Petipa: Sleeping Beauty, Bayadere, etc.)?

I have no doubt its a masterpiece. :)

#2 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

Welllll, I like it. I don't think it would be classified a masterpiece, but I like MacMillan. Bussell is very young and shows it, but she's great to watch. It's in the classical sense but not with tutu's, etc; it's typical MacMillan classical. If nothing else it's a piece of ballet history.

Giannina

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:03 PM

It's set up in the tradition of the Romantic story ballet, with formal set-pieces and variations, but MacMillan's choreography and Britten's music are a bad mismatch. There are still people who say, "Ah, what Fred could have done if he'd only liked the music!"

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:10 PM

Depending upon the state of your pocketbook, I'd say it's worth purchasing. As Mel says, MacMillan and Britten are not a match made in heaven (although in MacMillan's defense, the plot doesn't really lend itself to ballet). Bussell is worth seeing, too, and in a role made for her.

I have the ballet in a 2-VHS version, and that set includes an interesting documentary of MacMillan's career, with interviews and old footage of Seymour, et al. If the DVD includes it, that's definitely a plus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):