This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2005 Spring season @ the Met Opening Night Gala

Here's some tentative casting for the Opening Night Gala on May 23, 6:30pm:

Le Spectre de la Rose: Amanda McKerrow, Herman Cornejo

Swan Lake Act II PdD: Julie Kent, Vladimir Malakhov

Polovtsian Dances: Gennadi Saveliev, Stella Abrera, Misty Copeland

Piece d'Occasion: Savion Glover

Carmen PdD: Alessandra Ferri, Julio Bocca

Don Quixote Suite: Company

The program might change. The official release isn't out yet. Frankly, I can do without seeing Petit's Carman (I guess that's the Carmen pas de deux you're talking about. No choreographer yet has made, to me, a version I would want to see more than once).

The Don Q. Suite might be long. Besides, there is a dinner at these things and they don't want to eat too late.

TONY AWARD WINNER SAVION GLOVER TO PERFORM AT

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S SPRING GALA,

MONDAY, MAY 23, 6:30 P.M.,

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Gala Performance to Include Roland Petit’s

Carmen (pas de deux) with Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca,

and All-Star Don Quixote Suite

Internationally acclaimed tap sensation Savion Glover will perform a Piéce d’Occasion for American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night Spring Gala on Monday evening, May 23 at 6:30 P.M. at the Metropolitan Opera House. Sponsored by Cole Haan, Griffin Corporation and Northern Trust, ABT’s Opening Night Gala will include a special performance by Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca in the pas de deux from Roland Petit’s Carmen, Le Spectre de la Rose with Herman Cornejo and Amanda McKerrow, the pas de deux from Act II of Swan Lake performed by Julie Kent and Vladimir Malakhov and the New York Company Premiere of Michel Fokine’s Polovtsian Dances.

American Ballet Theatre’s gala performance, which celebrates the Company’s 65th Anniversary, will also feature an all-star Don Quixote Suite featuring ABT’s Principal Dancers and Soloists. The Don Quixote Suite will include Diana Vishneva and Jose Manuel Carreño in the adagio from Act III, Erica Cornejo, Maria Riccetto and Maxim Beloserkovsky in the pas de trois from Act I, Gillian Murphy in Kitri’s Act I variation, Veronika Part in Mercedes’ Act I variation, Marcelo Gomes in Espada’s Act II variation, Paloma Herrera in Kitri’s Act II variation (dream sequence), Carlos Acosta in Basilio’s Act III variation, Xiomara Reyes in Kitri’s Act III variation, Michele Wiles and Angel Corella in the coda from Act III and the entire cast in the coda from Act I.

Co-Chairmen for American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Gala are Susan Fales-Hill, Aileen Mehle and Blaine Trump. Honorary Chairmen are President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush and Caroline Kennedy. Corporate Co-Chairmen are Arlene and Harvey Blau, J. Jeffery Kauffman and Matthew E. Rubel. International Committee Chairman is Mrs. Thomas L. Kempner and Vice Chairmen are Sloan Lindemann Barnett, Tory Burch and Blair Husain.

A Gala dinner under the Tent at Lincoln Center will immediately follow the performance. Gala benefit tickets priced at $1,500 and $2,000 include the performance and post-performance dinner. For Gala benefit ticket information only, call American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239.

Performance-only tickets are priced $25-$130 and are available at the Metropolitan Opera House box office or by calling 212-362-6000. For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Ohh, I see.

But the pas de deux was never done :-)

Will they be adding more pieces, or is this pretty much set? At the City Center gala in October, I remember the program was extremely long.

Giselle05,

I'm going by memory (not good) but I didn't think the City Center opening was particularly long. But it wasn't short either!

The order may be off here but the first section was Nocturne from Les Sylphides

and Spectre. Part 2 was Corsaire and Black Swan pdd (pas and coda only), Dying Swan with Dvorovenko and Other Dances with Ferri and Corella.

Third part , Sinfonietta(?)

The Don Quixote Suite seems abit like the gala Nutcracker at NYCB last December

Richard