This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mikhail Fokine

Clive Barnes, in May's Dance Magazine, raises a question about Fokine's ballets: "Were they a much-applauded passing fancy, or are they for all time?"

Barnes mentions that ABT will perform new productions of four of his ballets this spring: Les Sylphides, Petrouchka, Spectre de la Rose, and Polovtsian Dances, all of which I've seen either on the stage (Sylphides, Petrouchka) or on video (all four, in French and Russian versions).

I understand Fokine's place in dance history. But I confess to being largely unmoved by his work in performance. There's something about the style, aesthetic, and story-telling that connects more as historical pageant (like revivals of baroque dancing) rather than something immediate and in the present. I concentrate on memories (or video images) of stars like Alicia Alonso -- or on exciting individual dancers in more contemporary productions. I don't seem to be able to appreciate the whole. At least from what I've seen so far.

What do Ballet Talk people think about Fokine in performance today? I'd especially like to hear specific details of performances you have seen -- and (hey!) it's ok for those of you familiar with the work of the smaller companies to respond, too. What worked and did not work for you? Which of Fokine's ballet's are "for all time" and why?

In my opinion, "Les Sylphides" is a perennial classic - only that it is in neo-romantic style, and does not belong to the Petipa era. That, for me, would raise the question as to why should we call "classic" only those ballets that were created in Russia by Petipa / Ivanov.

Regarding other works, I do tend to think that Spectre looks somewhat dated. Probably it was a hit in early 20th century, thanks to Nijinsky and to nostalgia of Romantic times, which were not so far away, but today these days are long past. Regarding "Polovtsian dances", I believe it was such a hit because it showed the male power of Russian male dancing, which had never been seen in Western Europe before. But now these days are gone also.

This is my opinion anyway

Silvy

Regarding other works, I do tend to think that Spectre looks somewhat dated.  Probably it was a hit in early 20th century, thanks to Nijinsky and to nostalgia of Romantic times, which were not so far away, but today these days are long past.  Regarding "Polovtsian dances", I believe it was such a hit because it showed the male power of Russian male dancing, which had never been seen in Western Europe before. But now these days are gone also.

This is my opinion anyway

Silvy

I think the point Silvy makes is perceptive. These once popular Fokine pieces are from a long gone era. As suchtoday they don't have an immediate dramtic appeal.

Also, the actual choreography was just one facet of the popularity when these pieces were new.

The ballets had very carefully chosen music by emerging musicians(no Minkus!) and cutting edge decor.

All this, plus the novelty made them big hits.

Today all that novelty is no longer anywhere near as immediate as it was almost 100 years ago.

But do we throw these out? I wouldn't, I enjoy many of them for what they are worth, period pieces. In a way they are very similar to silent films, but those can still appear very beautiful too. It's just an idiom that is no longer common currency.

Richard